Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #1

Considering purchase of '08 HR Navigator with ISX - input appreciated!

Greetings... A tough dilemma here... My wife has me looking for a newer coach WITH SLIDES - that is the only thing "wrong" with our coach which I have EXTENSIVELY updated both mechanically and cosmetically. History: I purchased our slide-less 1997 American Eagle from its original owner four years ago as it was the last year model with the purely mechanical and highly dependable Cummins C8.3 engine. It is our first coach and I absolutely love it. Quite honestly, I am most concerned about all the electronics, both coach and engine, in any newer motorhome. Tomorrow we are going to look a 2008 Holiday Rambler Navigator with the huge Cummins ISX engine (600 or 650 horse power, cannot recall exact number). Am I worrying about nothing or should I be concerned specifically about the ISX and it dependability in motorhomes? (I know, or strongly suspect, I won't be able to work on it other than routine maintenance). Also, I am not familiar with the long term quality of any Holiday Rambler models, nor any Monaco models as I do not know anyone who owns them. From researching, the S-series chassis sure sounds wonderful. Any any all suggestions, experience, info, etc regarding both engine and interior coach dependability will be very much appreciated! THANK YOU

Jeff on Lake Conroe
1997 American Eagle
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2014, 02:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Jeff - the Navigator is one nice coach, and I would swap mine for one in a heartbeat, but they are too expensive for me. You will love the slide-outs compared to your current coach I am sure.

In general both Monaco and Holiday Rambler are quality products, but as I am sure you know, there will always be something that breaks, needs adjusting, needs upgrading etc., but from what I read about your current coach, this should not cause you any major concern. It definitely sounds like you have the skills needed. After all - the time we spend tinkering with our coaches is what keeps us from hanging around street corners and being up to no good

I have followed the Monaco IRV2 forum for about 7 years now, and I can't remember "hearing" anything negative about the engine in the Navigator, That is not to say that nothing can ever go wrong, but what I am saying is that I don't think that engine is a problem as such.

Good luck deciding, and I hope that some Navigator owners will chime in with some good and factual advice.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Buy It, Buy It, Buy It, we absolutely love ours and we have had several other coaches in the 23 years we've been RVing. The fit and finish of these coaches is hardly rivaled in the coaches they are building today. The ISX is one solid and powerful motor. The S Series chassis makes this big rig ride and drive like a car. Yes, you can and will have things to fix, that is just the nature of RV travel, but no known problems with these Navigators other than finding the time to use them. JMHO Randy
Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #4

Navigator

I'm drooling, does that count
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #5

We have a 05 navigator and have been loving it for 6 years now. Our coach has a 60 series Detroit engine . It is a million mile motor and so is yours. Don't worry about the engine. Here are some sobering thoughts however. Pulling a toad you are going to get about 6.5 mpg. New set of tires are about 4 or 5 grand. AGM batteries about the same. Now on the good side, the coach is fantastic. You are going to love the 4 slides. So much room. Like a small apartment.
Such a solid coach. With the power water reel, power electric reel auto air leveling, auto dish antenna you will be able to pull into an rv park, set up and be in your favorite chair with an adult beverage in your hand in less than five minutes time. Finest coach we have ever owned. Period.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #6

Thank you all for your input and private messages! Toured one owned by a neighbor of a family friend yet sadly this 2008 was not well taken care of, and actually I would say had never been taken care of...very sad... It was horribly filthy - did I say filthy? ha, had body damage, awning damage, house batteries had an inch or more of corrosion all over the top of them, and more... VERY SAD as it had so much potential! It was BEAUTIFUL from a distance as we drove up... Good news is there will be others Thank you again!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #7

You say you are a handy man. Try to buy the coach cheap. The expensive part of the coach, the fine chassis and engine are probably in great shape. The batteries are obviously the cheap lead acid type and a shot anyway. How many miles on the coach? Interior can be cleaned and or replaced. Body work may look bad but easily repaired. Go back and look again. Now that you have been shocked by the condition scrootinize it with your handyman eyes. Who knows, you may end up with a hell of a deal.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Thank you all for your input and private messages! Toured one owned by a neighbor of a family friend yet sadly this 2008 was not well taken care of, and actually I would say had never been taken care of...very sad... It was horribly filthy - did I say filthy? ha, had body damage, awning damage, house batteries had an inch or more of corrosion all over the top of them, and more... VERY SAD as it had so much potential! It was BEAUTIFUL from a distance as we drove up... Good news is there will be others Thank you again!

How much are they asking for it?
Old 08-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #9

It was so bad, I didn't even ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
How much are they asking for it?
Old 08-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #10

You are smart to walk away. If they didn't bother to keep it clean then they probably did not do any maintenance.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just ran across your post about the ISX.
We purchased a used Monaco Exec. with the ISX. I love it. As a matter of fact, the ISX was the icing on the cake. 525 HP is enough to walk up any mountain in the USA. There are a lot of them in OTR trucks. Cummins advertise this engine as a million mile engine. My fuel mileage runs on average of 6-7-8, depending on roads. Oil change can be a bit expensive since it holds 48 qts. Haven't met anyone who is unhappy with one yet.
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase