Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #1

Considering "Upgrade"

We presently own an '02 American Tradition. We're original owners, 82,000 mi, 750 hrs on gen. We have recently transitioned to touring full time, we've logged 8,000 miles in past 4 months. Just my wife and I and dog.

The current rig is pretty much fixed up to our lifestyle, i.e built in computer desk, flatscreen TV, and all maintenance is current.

I have driven only one other coach, a Country coach Magna 43' and it handled/rode so much better than ours. I'm thinking the added weight, tag axle, dynomax chassis was the difference.

Our upgrade budget prevents us from looking at newer coaches, or even later model luxury brands. We are leaing toward coaches of similar vintage to ours, but from either Bluebird, Monaco (Signature, Executive or Dynasty) or Foretravel. Would prefer 40' tag and probably a living room slide. Not sure we wouldn't be better served continuing to put maint and repair dollars into our Tradition. We are going in knowing any older coach will require periodic maintenance. But I'm wondering if the higher end coaches on our short list have a significantly better probability going another 10 years with just routine maintenance than does or Tradition.

Any replies on pros and cons of the Monaco models we are considering would be appreciated. What else should we know about Monaco?
ShelbyTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have decided to keep our Dynasty and not upgrade. The reason is like you said. We know this MH in and out, its condition, etc. Moreover it does everything we need. I'd like to have the ISM, tag axle and a bedroom slide. The ISC and living room slide was enough to full time nearly 3 years. The cost and unknowns finally tipped the scale for us. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a ISM/DD60 and three slides with the tag axle chassis. We put our upgrade money into a new house and the MH is back to three day trips and a couple of month long trips a year.

As I mentioned to our service advisor last month, "You can buy them newer, but you can't buy one much better.". He said "Don't tell sales, I agree".
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #3

I have owned 3 Monaco coaches (98 Dynasty, 04 Windsor, 05 Signature) and they have all been quality motorhomes. The craftsmanship in those years was excellent. I am kind of a student of Monaco from a few perspectives and I believe that the 2004-2006 years saw production levels at the proper rates in order to release quality coaches. They all have issues but the workmanship is evident. I purchased the 05 Signature a year ago after an extensive countrywide search. I looked at other brands such as Country Coach and there was no comparison in my bias view. I would recommend that you have the engine inspected at the very least. Good luck.
Monacofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with Monacofan. I think the 2000-2008 Monaco coaches are some of the best ever manufactured and can be a bargain at today’s prices. Monaco was a leader in modernizing and had features like Eaton Vorad, 1-piece windshield, and other nice to have features well before the others. We just ended a multi-year search for a "new to us coach" and looked hard at Counrty Coach, Travel Supreme, and Newmar. They are also good coaches, but each one had detractors that I was not completely sold on. A good example is the Travel Supreme Select and Select Limited are all electric. I really like my propane BBQ and did not want to give it up.

I agree with you. Country Coach does drive very nice and I like there idea of putting all the filters in the bay next to the engine. My problem with Country Coach is most of the 2000-2006 models are an older design that’s looks very dated. Country Coach came out with the Lexa back in 2003. What a beautiful coach, but it took them 3-4 years to incorporate that new design into their remaining lineup. Another issue is the Caterpillar engines they used through 2007. Cat makes a great engine, but when you place it in line with only a 6 speed transmission they are thirsty. I found several coaches with C-15 and C-13 Caterpillar engines that were getting less than 5 MPG. Cat is a great engine, but it does not do well on fuel when coupled to an Allison trans.

With Newmar, we just couldn’t find a coach we liked at the right price. They are great coaches, but the owners and dealers tend to price used Newmar coaches quite high.

If you decide to go with Monaco you will have a full range of engine power to choose from. They installed Cummins in most coaches, but also Cat (Beaver) and even Detroit Series 60 in the Signature, Executive, and Navigator. Take your time and enjoy looking. Develop a list of must haves and like to haves. I also recommend you search the entire country. Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Another issue is the Caterpillar engines they used through 2007. Cat makes a great engine, but when you place it in line with only a 6 speed transmission they are thirsty. I found several coaches with C-15 and C-13 Caterpillar engines that were getting less than 5 MPG. Cat is a great engine, but it does not do well on fuel when coupled to an Allison trans.
In 2009 CC's and maybe earlier the CAT C15's were mated to a CAT CX31 6 speed trans in at least the Magna units like mine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D, I assume you meant to say the early Country Coach Magna and Affinity with Cat engines also had Cat automatic transmissions and I’m sure you’re right. My brother tells me that C-13 and C-15 Cat engines even required special transmissions (different gear ratio split) in class 8 trucks.

In 2007 Country Coach switched the Magna and Affinity from C-13 Caterpillar to Cummins engines. Damon Repozo's web site has the exact coach number when the switch was made. These are very nice coaches.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade