Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Considering Upgrade to Beaver, Foretravel, Country Coach or Monaco

We are beginning the process of selecting a different Motorhome. We currently have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial. I want a MH that provides a solid platform for the next 10 years. Budget would allow up to 200K. Some of our requirements are Diesel powered, 4 Slides, Tag Axle, 40 - 42 Feet, AquaHot, Existing Maintenance records, King Bed. Open floorplan in the front with only 1 fold out couch and a desk that can be used for sewing. I realize that I can remove a second couch and install a desk/sewing table. A kitchen area large enough that we can both use at the same time would be nice. We are currently looking at used Foretravel, Beaver, Country Coach, and Monaco/HR.

Foretravel: They have the reputation of a solid coach. 4 slides on a Foretravel means that we need to look at a FT Nimbus. To stay in budget that would mean a 2007. The floorplans on a Nimbus are not our favorite. We're not sure that we can find one the fits both of our lifestyles.

The other models we are looking at:
Beaver Marquis /Patriot Thunder
Country Coach Intrigue or Magna
Monaco Dynasty or Signature

A couple of questions we have:

Are the Beavers and Monacos constructed on the same chassis since they are owned by the same group? What would be the differences in construction?

If you rated these in quality, what would be the order? I know that this might be subjective.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
We are beginning the process of selecting a different Motorhome. We currently have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Imperial. I want a MH that provides a solid platform for the next 10 years. Budget would allow up to 200K. Some of our requirements are Diesel powered, 4 Slides, Tag Axle, 40 - 42 Feet, AquaHot, Existing Maintenance records, King Bed. Open floorplan in the front with only 1 fold out couch and a desk that can be used for sewing. I realize that I can remove a second couch and install a desk/sewing table. A kitchen area large enough that we can both use at the same time would be nice. We are currently looking at used Foretravel, Beaver, Country Coach, and Monaco/HR.

Foretravel: They have the reputation of a solid coach. 4 slides on a Foretravel means that we need to look at a FT Nimbus. To stay in budget that would mean a 2007. The floorplans on a Nimbus are not our favorite. We're not sure that we can find one the fits both of our lifestyles.

Are the Beavers and Monacos constructed on the same chassis since they are owned by the same group? What would be the differences in construction?

If you rated these in quality, what would be the order? I know that this might be subjective.

To answer your Beaver question. It depends on the year it was made. I have a 2003 PT. 2002 was the year Monaco acquired Beaver. My coach has elements of a true Beaver (of the Safari era) mixed with elements of a Monaco. Beaver was still made in Bend Oregon by Beaver folks until around 2005 or so. They were considered a high quality coach at that time, Monaco folks will scream at this! My chassis is named Roadmaster like other Monacos but it is a Magnum unlike any Monaco. Monaco, I'm told, acquired Beaver for the quality of the inside cabinetry. Overall I think the coach quality is comparable, if not a little better than the equivalent Monaco. Subjective as you say. Monacos are beautiful coaches. My Beaver has a CAT C-12, Monacos used Cummins. That's another Ford/Chevy argument. By 2006 or so the Beaver was just another Monaco built in Coburg Oregon like any other. People will probably argue this also. Just my opinion. Good luck, I love mine but your 200K will buy a lot newer coach. My 200K would stay in the bank earning interest because I still haven't see a coach that I would trade my Beaver for.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
The folks at Foretravel are typically agreeable to modify coaches to meet your needs, even the used ones on their lot.

Safaris are also top-notch, also on the Roadmaster chassis. Mine has the Caterpillar also. Ours has a desk and a king bed. I work from home, and since we are about to go FT, I needed a work area.

Safari was part of the Monaco umbrella, FWIW.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You just described our 2007 Monaco Dynasty 43'. The only exception is ours is a 3 slide. The driver's side is a full wall.

This is our first DP and we've only had it a month. This will be our home for the next 10 years. Can't help with anything else, except the quality of this coach is phenomenal.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #5

Don't forget about the Monaco Executive, it is between the Dynasty and Signature. It has the 500 HP ISM cummins or the optional Detroit 60 and the 4000 series Allison. Our coach has only 3 slides, opposing up front and 1 in the bedroom on the drivers side so it does not fit your description. We did take out one couch and replaced it with 2 recliners (could have been one recliner and desk). We have looked at several new coaches and it seems to us that they waste a lot of space with bath and 1/2, we would much rather have more kitchen counter space and more area in living area. Our coach is only 41' 5" long but has more counter space and more living area space than a lot of 45' coaches. After all, how much time does a person really spend in the bathroom. I don't want to offend anyone,JMHO. The tag axle does make a nice driving and handling coach. Another thing that we have noticed is the mounting of the awning. Our awning is mounted on the slide out where some coaches have the awning mounted above the slide out on the stationary wall of the coach. The new coaches have awnings that come out further to compensate for the slide being under them but a lot of the older coaches have quite a bit of the awning area wasted by the slide, just something to look at. Beaver coaches have top grade cabinetry but I personally don't care for the mixed wood with the maple and cherry, still very nice cabinetry though. The Monacos that you mentioned also have very nice cabinetry as do the Holiday Ramblers. You can get on the Monaco site and bring up brochures for lots of their coaches from several years and look at features and layouts to help you narrow down what you think you may like. We really like the layout of our 2004 40PBT but the 4th slide would probably be nice.

Have fun in your search,

Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Beaver/Monaco and we love it. Constantly looking at other coaches at shows etc.and although I have found others I like my wife has yet to find a coach she likes better than our Beaver.

Of course budgetary reasons limit choices but I would think at $200,000 you will find many excellent used coaches you will like.

I would also consider Entegra as well. They are very nice units.There are many Beaver owners that are considering Entegra now that Beavers are no longer made.

I would stay away from any pre-2007 Cat engines with the DPF afterburner system.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakrism View Post
I would stay away from any pre-2007 Cat engines with the DPF afterburner system.
Dakrism
Thanks for the heads up on the engine but that really removes a lot of Beavers from consideration. I'll research this issue a little.

Woodman018
I'll add the Executive to my searches. Thanks for your input.

Clyon51
At the top of our current list is an 09 Monaco Dynasty Nottingham. We really like the layout of this coach.

RobbieH
Safari has been added to search criteria. Thanks

gemert
Thanks for the history lesson on Beaver. Any thoughts on the Caterpillar C-13 Engine issue.

Thanks to all for their Input. Still looking( I think that looking is my hobby and my DW agrees).
Old 02-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Dakrism
Thanks for the heads up on the engine but that really removes a lot of Beavers from consideration. I'll research this issue a little.

Woodman018
I'll add the Executive to my searches. Thanks for your input.

Clyon51
At the top of our current list is an 09 Monaco Dynasty Nottingham. We really like the layout of this coach.

RobbieH
Safari has been added to search criteria. Thanks

gemert
Thanks for the history lesson on Beaver. Any thoughts on the Caterpillar C-13 Engine issue.

Thanks to all for their Input. Still looking( I think that looking is my hobby and my DW agrees).
I think he meant post-2007. There is no DEF in pre-2007 CAT engines. CAT to my knowledge removed itself from the OTR and motor home market because it did not want to comply with all the pollution reqs of 2007 and later engines, there first few were a problem. I assure you that my 2003has no DEF and runs great. As far as the C-13 I haven't heard any huge issues but I have a C-12 so don't pay much attention. I do know that CAT engines around 2007, the C-15, had a lot of DEF issues. Most I know stay away from them if possible because of DEF.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:57 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
I think he meant post-2007. There is no DEF in pre-2007 CAT engines. CAT to my knowledge removed itself from the OTR and motor home market because it did not want to comply with all the pollution reqs of 2007 and later engines, there first few were a problem. I assure you that my 2003has no DEF and runs great. As far as the C-13 I haven't heard any huge issues but I have a C-12 so don't pay much attention. I do know that CAT engines around 2007, the C-15, had a lot of DEF issues. Most I know stay away from them if possible because of DEF.
Absolutely POST-2007! Sorry for my mistake. You may find a 2008 model coach with a 2006 or 2007 Cat engine but stay away from any Cat engine after 2007 that has the DPF. There have been MANy problems and MANY turbos replaced by frustrated owners and Caterpiller is giving no support. They have walked away from the OTR engine.

It is not DEF I am talking about but the precursor which is the DPF or the "diesel particulate filter" its a big afterburner attached to the exhaust which is supposed to light up and heat to extreme temps and then exhaust very little soot into the air. It fails quite often and causes many problems and "check engine" lights.

The DEF used now in more recent engines is a different thing altogether.
Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The 2000 era Beaver Patriot Thunder with full wall slides are a great option to 4 slides, if I could of afforded it that's the direction I would have went.

Take a look at Beaver Coach sales in Bend Or. They are located where the original Beaver factory was, and have a lot of folks that have been around the product line for many many years. They always have a big selection of Coaches. Ty Kelly the owner (and My cousin) expects nothing less than the best customer service out of his people and they are an awesome group. He also now has the manufacturing/naming rights to restart the Beaver Line, which hopefully He'll do soon.

Beaver Coach Sales & Service | RV Dealership | Entegra, Monaco, Beaver, Thor Motor Coach Dealer | Beaver RV Super Center | Bend, Oregon
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #11

We love our 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder Lexington (3 slides), 40' w/ tag. Shorter wheelbase than the 4 slide Patriots. The 2006-2007 Patriots have some significant upgrades from our 2005-double entry step (useful, as I always have to put out our portable single step), Multiplex electrical system (you can turn lights on off dim from multiple locations) Bedroom slide has windows next to the bed (I like to get a glimpse of the weather); the Thunder (525 hp Cat C-13) will pin your hair back (Oops, did I mention our overall mileage is about 5.5 mpg!) Drives smooth.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:

With the make of coaches you are look at are all about the same, it's just what grabs you and you say this is the one. I would stay away form the 600 & 650 Cummins just because of the head and #6 cylinder problems also the 400 Cummins 05 & 06 years because of the wrist pin problems.
Here are a few to look at, good luck just remember (Happy Wife Happy Life)
2008 Tiffin Zephyr
Inventory | Premier RV
Country Coach built there own DynoMax chassis.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:43 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I like my '09 Magna, but it does have the 650 ISX Cummins. It's been rebuilt twice in 47,000 miles. Last time it cost $33,000+ although Cummins did "pick up" $10,400 of it.
Runs very well and doesn't slow down for hills.
Otherwise the rig is very solid and comfortable. Has a built in desk in the Vivaldi floor plan I have, but other floor plans also had them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Magna Vivaldi floor plan.pdf (488.5 KB, 52 views)
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #14

We have a 2008 Monaco Dynasty Yorkshire IV that we have had since May 2016. It is a 45' bath and a half with a 500HP Cummins and Allison 3000 transmission. We were thinking of moving up to a newer coach, but as yet have not found one that meets the standards set by our Monaco. Every coach we look at (in our price range) doesn't match up.
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver, monaco, travel, upgrade