Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #1

Question Constantly blowing fuse on 2006 La Palma

We're new to the RV life and love our La Palma but .....

after a few months of working fine ......
All the drivers side lights in the bedroom went out. Found the fuse was blown and replaced it with a new one (same 15 amps). We've now gone thru 3 fuses and are living without those lights.

Only things on that circuit should be 2 incandescents, 3 18W bulbs, a couple of small halogens and the lights in the closets - and we never have them all on at the same time! Even if we did, shouldn't draw 15 amps.

Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions? Thanks

Vicky & Phil
VickyfromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
when you put the new fuse in, does it blow right away or is there a delay?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

With new fuse the lights work OK first time. After you switch them off, the next time you try them the fuse is blown.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #4

Fuses blowing ..........SHORT in wiring or fixture

Stop replacing fuses......until you FIND/FIX that short

Could be bad socket could be a screw/staple thru a wire
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I agree with Old-Biscuit. Better safe than sorry. I have had so many electrical problems I leave nothing to chance now.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyfromNZ View Post
We're new to the RV life and love our La Palma but .....

after a few months of working fine ......
All the drivers side lights in the bedroom went out. Found the fuse was blown and replaced it with a new one (same 15 amps). We've now gone thru 3 fuses and are living without those lights.

Only things on that circuit should be 2 incandescents, 3 18W bulbs, a couple of small halogens and the lights in the closets - and we never have them all on at the same time! Even if we did, shouldn't draw 15 amps.

Anyone had a similar problem or any suggestions? Thanks

Vicky & Phil
Suggest you pull each fixture from the wall and check the wiring behind and inside the fixture. Start with the one you use the most. Most likely a sloppy wiring job at the factory and a bare section of a +12 VDC feed wire is very close to ground. Any slight movement and it makes contact thus blowing the fuse. It could also be the internal wiring on one of the fixtures is chafed and when the light is turned on that wire is now live with +12 VDC and the chafe makes contact with ground and blows the fuse. Just the movement introduced by switching on the fixture could cause the short.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like it takes heating up to cause it to blow....
in an emergency you COULD get a thermal fuse that resets when it cools down, but agree with previous posters, find the problem so the next short is not a fire....
Old 01-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. I'll work on it!

Phil
Old 01-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think "nodine" is on the right track! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #10
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

Turn all lights off. Replace fuse. Turn a few lights on and off and see if problem occurs. If not, try another few lights thus trying to sort it out.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #11

Thanks again everyone. I checked all the fixtures as suggested and found (and fixed) the problem. One of the closet lights had never worked since we bought the RV last year, and we hadn't bothered to replace the bulb.
I discovered there was no bulb in the fixture and the metal reflector plate had come loose and was shorting the terminals every time the closet door was opened.
Previous owner must have removed the bulb and over time the reflector plate came loose! Lesson learned. Thanks again for the help.

Phil (& Vicky)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyfromNZ View Post
Thanks again everyone. I checked all the fixtures as suggested and found (and fixed) the problem. One of the closet lights had never worked since we bought the RV last year, and we hadn't bothered to replace the bulb.
I discovered there was no bulb in the fixture and the metal reflector plate had come loose and was shorting the terminals every time the closet door was opened.
Previous owner must have removed the bulb and over time the reflector plate came loose! Lesson learned. Thanks again for the help.

Phil (& Vicky)
When we first purchased our coach we were occasionally having a problem with one of the circuit breakers tripping in the main AC panel. I was pulling my hair for awhile trying to figure it out and then one day noticed that the sliding closet door would sometimes catch the breaker and move it to the tripped position.

Glad you found your problem and it was an easy fix.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse