Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #1

Converter

Hello out there, can anyone tell me where the converter is on my 2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE. I can't seem to find it. Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Harleyman201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help you with that, but I bet Monaco Tech Support could! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #3

Harleyman201-

First off,

Second, look for your converter in the compartment where your electrical cord enters the coach. On our 2008 Admiral, that's the aft-most bay, driver-side.

Finally, you should add a signature to your profile. Most people include info on their coach and toad. It saves them having to type that info on each post. Here are instructions on how to add a signature.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #4

Check for converter inside 'electric bay'....drivers side
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:06 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Converter? If you mean inverter, look in the bay next to the battery bay. In my Ambassador it is in the bay just after of the battery bay.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Has to be within 6 feet or so of the batteries..... IMO.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Converter (supplies 12vdc when hooked up to shore/generator), or Inverter (provides 120VAC when running on batteries/solar)? Either could be anywhere (my converter is nowhere near my shore cord, but is fairly close to my battery bank. My (small) inverter on the other hand is up in the overhead entertainment area (powers just the front TV & DVD). Both will usually have a small cooling fan, so listening carefully for it while under a load can often help locate it. If you're looking for the converter, turn on a bunch of lights. For an inverter, turn on some AC loads (TV, DVD, etc).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Converter (supplies 12vdc when hooked up to shore/generator), or Inverter (provides 120VAC when running .
True but some inverters do both. They are inverter/chargers.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
True but some inverters do both. They are inverter/chargers.
Then they aren't an inverter, are they? They are an inverter/converter combo.

An "inverter" cannot produce 12vdc; it USES 12vdc to produce 120VAC. And a "converter" cannot produce 120VAC; it USES 120VAC to produce 12vdc.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Then they aren't an inverter, are they? They are an inverter/converter combo. .
I was just trying to help. It appeared you were trying to make a comprehensive guide and just wanted to let the OP know you forgot something. No need to yell pard. It sounds as though you are very knowledgeable on how everything works.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Then they aren't an inverter, are they? They are an inverter/converter combo.

An "inverter" cannot produce 12vdc; it USES 12vdc to produce 120VAC. And a "converter" cannot produce 120VAC; it USES 120VAC to produce 12vdc.

But an 'inverter ' can be a 'charger'
Old 09-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
But an 'inverter ' can be a 'charger'

That's funny. ...I've spent the last few minutes trying to find a inverter/converter combo thingy. Still haven't found one. Lots of inverter/chargers though.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It IS funny. How can an inverter provide 12vdc to charge anything? An inverter USES 12vdc.

Obviously, they are now calling the converter side of the combo units a "charger". But the "inverter" is not charging the batteries. The charger part of the unit is actually a "converter". I guess it's just too confusing for a new generation to use the two similar terms together: inverter and converter.

Come to think of it, ever since inverters started to be common in RVs, there has been confusion as to which is which and which does what. As an electrical engineer, I will default to the fact that you convert AC to DC, and you invert DC to AC.

BTW, I'm not yelling, hopefully it didn't come across that way. I simply say tomato, you say tomatoe.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:15 PM   #14

Quote:
It IS funny. How can an inverter provide 12vdc to charge anything? An inverter USES 12vdc.

Obviously, they are now calling the converter side of the combo units a "charger". But the "inverter" is not charging the batteries. The charger part of the unit is actually a "converter". I guess it's just too confusing for a new generation to use the two similar terms together: inverter and converter.

Come to think of it, ever since inverters started to be common in RVs, there has been confusion as to which is which and which does what. As an electrical engineer, I will default to the fact that you convert AC to DC, and you invert DC to AC.

BTW, I'm not yelling, hopefully it didn't come across that way. I simply say tomato, you say tomatoe.
But a 'Schumacher battery charger' has never been referred to as a 'converter'...it is a charger

Nomenclature is a wonderful and irritating thing.

As a Power Plant Operator items/components had a specific name even when it was still the same or had just changed 'state'
Steam that had gone thru the turbines 'condensed' and was called 'condensate' but when it made it way thru the various heater banks on its way back to the boilers it became 'feed water' then 'wet steam then 'dry steam' then 'Superheated Steam' then 'Reheater Steam' until it was condensed back into 'condensate'

Ah YES.....nomenclature

But it is still an Inverter/Charger not an Inverter/Converter

Tags
converter