Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Converting interior lights to LED

I have some interior lights that do not come on when turned on. Some I know there are blown bulbs in the small round ones. Thinking of converting to LED. Do I just install LED bulb, or replace the complete light?
vettehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis

Look like this 3" diameter? Can convert halogen or replace entire ceiling fixture. 3″ Radiance LED Overhead Light - ITC RV

G4 Bi-Pin 9 LED 5050 White RV LED Bulb
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It's just replacing the bulb, but in the case of fluorescent lights, it may mean some rewiring to eliminate the ballast. When ordering LEDs, be sure to specify the correct voltage. The T8 fluorescent bulbs come in both 12 and 120v versions.

I also replaced the rope lights under the cabinets with LEDs. Wow! what a difference. With the old lights, I could see enough to avoid something lying on the floor, the LEDs let me use them as a night light for the entire room.
mriderLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
I used over 50 of the lights like above, but maybe not those exact ones. Had to modify each unit though as the reflector/heat sink for the halogen bulbs was in the way. Broke the old reflector/heat sink out and glued the socket back in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer is yes.. I just replaced the bulbs with ones like above.. Since I was in a hurry when they blew I got Eco-Led brand replacements at a dealer (About 19 bucks a pop) but you can pay closer to 1.90 on E-bay for lamps nearly as good.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mien pretty much popped right in. I had to nip a tiny bit off of the new LED's in a couple.

Just ordered the parts to replace my remaining florescents with LED's strip today. I have been really happy with superbrightled.com

Now ALL of my interiors are going to be LED's.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:40 PM   #7

We used the Eco-LED lamps, too. I might add that we like temperatures in the 3000 degree range. Not too warm (yellow), not too cool (bluish white).

I went with the ones like were shown in this thread, but with more LEDs on the wafer. Ours have 12 on each. We had to cut a bit off of the leads as they were too long to fit in the fixtures. Our fixtures are EXACTLY like the ones shown in the picture above. They were in the $16 range, each. Their voltage rating is very broad. It says that they will work with a supply voltage from about 9 volts to almost 30 volts. We had lots of failures with our attempts with cheaper replacements, but these have performed flawlessly for quite a few months, now. I might add that we have the Intellitec system in our coach, and these are dimmable.

There are huge variations in quality of materials and assembly in the LED lamps that are available. This may very well be an area where you get what you pay for. We are very happy with our LED replacements.

NOTE: I used a basic IR heat gun to read the temperature on the lens of both a halogen bulb application and the LED replacement application. The halogen was in the 160 degree range, while the LED was in the 80 to 90 degree range.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Mien pretty much popped right in. I had to nip a tiny bit off of the new LED's in a couple.

Just ordered the parts to replace my remaining florescents with LED's strip today. I have been really happy with superbrightled.com

Now ALL of my interiors are going to be LED's.

Captjake1, do you have any pics of your fluorescents retro fit? My previous TT I retro'd all my interior and exterior lights. But no tube lighting. I might add exterior LED awning strip light. ( place under exterior slide lip.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Captjake1, do you have any pics of your fluorescents retro fit? My previous TT I retro'd all my interior and exterior lights. But no tube lighting. I might add exterior LED awning strip light. ( place under exterior slide lip.
I while take come pics when I do these last 4-5 fixtures. Super easy. I get rigid strips and double back tape them onto the reflector. Remove the ballast and hard wire them to the leads (these are 12v LED strips).

Actually, here is where I got my inspiration https://www.superbrightleds.com/blog...LED-Operations But I left the reflectors in place.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I too want to get some led's that will give us comparable light... just need to see what size and how many !

Thanks for the link on the fluorescents... (although superbrightleds should have closed their cabinets and cleaned up a bit before taking that last pic )

My DW would slap me amongst the head !
Old 02-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #11

Here's a link to a post I made on another iRV2 thread. It lists options for converting fluorescent tube-style bulbs with LEDs.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I too want to get some led's that will give us comparable light... just need to see what size and how many !

Thanks for the link on the fluorescents... (although superbrightleds should have closed their cabinets and cleaned up a bit before taking that last pic )

My DW would slap me amongst the head !
Lol...I don't think they wrote the article. I used those 2 strips and the amount of light is nearly identicalike to the florescent. Ordered the same strips to do my larger lights (I cut the longer strips in half to do the smaller lights first)..
Old 02-05-2016, 06:52 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
See my new posting here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/2008...ml#post2929448,

If you go with the superbright LED strip, I ended up with extra power plugs (they have plugs at both ends so I have enough left over for 4 total lights), PM you address and I will send them to you.

Tags
interior, led, light, lights