Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i paid about $5 apiece for mine ,hope they last
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #30

I put these in & they are just as bright as the halogen.

https://store-db08d.mybigcommerce.com/g4-double-pin/
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post

I am still researching to see if I will need regulators or not. Some people seem to burn out a lot of LED's while others seem to just plug and go with no problem at all. I have not read up on this yet but I am seeing where if you install a regulator it needs to be on a switch since it will draw power just sitting there. At least in my case I am installing LED's in order to conserve power when boondocking so I don't need something else sucking my batteries dry.
You just need to ensure the LEDs you buy either have a built-in regulator, or can handle a wider voltage range. all the G4's we bought can handle a wider voltage range. we bought these ones
http://www.amazon.com/Holagen-Replac.../dp/B002Q9B1ZQ
I have pics of old vs new in the blog post.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
You just need to ensure the LEDs you buy either have a built-in regulator, or can handle a wider voltage range. all the G4's we bought can handle a wider voltage range. we bought these ones
LEDwholesalers Disc Type G4 Base Side Pin 10 SMD LED, 10 Watt Holagen 140 Lumen Bulb Replacemnt For RV Camper Trailer Boat Marine Warm White, 1109WW - Amazon.com
I have pics of old vs new in the blog post.
Paul and Nina,

I could not locate the "old vs new" pics in your blog. Could be my age!

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post

Paul and Nina,

I could not locate the "old vs new" pics in your blog. Could be my age!

Bob
The pics are in here.
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...-led-lighting/
We also converted our bedroom reading lights and porch light. Only thing remaining is our vanity bathroom lights.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
The pics are in here.
Boondocking Made Easy -> LED Lighting | Wheeling It
We also converted our bedroom reading lights and porch light. Only thing remaining is our vanity bathroom lights.
Thanks for the reply. I am concerned about the LED version replacement for the G4 because of the limited space inside the puck light. When I remove the lens on the puck light I see the concaved reflector behind the G4 bulb and have concerns about the fit of the LED substitute. Your side by side photo of the G4 and the LED replacement is helpful and now I can see that the LED should squeeze in. Having a back ground in Electrical Engineering, I especially like the fact that these LED substitutes have a built in regulator.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club

I know I'm a little late but I think this is the same thing as what you bought but quite a bit cheaper. 5050 Cool White 6500K 5M 300Leds IP65 Waterproof 6500K SMD LED Strip Light | eBay

I bought 2 rolls from him, took about 2 weeks to ship and have converted a light over already. What a difference it makes once converted to LED! I plan to do all the lights in the coach as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 AM   #36

Hi all,

I see lots of RV'ers converting to LEDS but my 65 year old brain does not quite understand the reason. Is it just because of the heat produced by the halogen, minimal power consumption savings, or maybe brighter lighting? I have read thru this thread and the only thing I see is that someone got burnt because the light got hot. That alone might cause one to replace certain lights that are used often.

In our 04 dynasty we have 48 of the puck lights. Multiplying that out I don't really understand how that kind of cash outlay is really worth it.

BTW we converted 150,000+ Christmas lights to LED a few years ago and the power savings was incredible. Running 150,000 lights for 5 hours a night for 30-40 days is entirely different than running a few puck lights periodically in our coach.

Maybe the conversion to LEDS is just one of those "because I want to" things we do to our coach.

Thanks and safe travels
Mike
mmulvenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulvenna View Post
Hi all,Maybe the conversion to LEDS is just one of those "because I want to" things we do to our coach.Thanks and safe travels Mike
Yep, that's my reason...besides, I like the energy savings, I like that the lamps do not get hot, and it's way cool to have LED lighting...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:20 AM   #38

iRV2 No Limits Club
I chose marine LED light fixtures and supplied them when our trailer was being built, the reason, energy conservation. We boondock and I do not want to use a generator so solar panels and silence. There are other conservation measures that can be taken i.e. I substituted three speed computer case fans for a Fantastic fan and use an Espar diesel heater.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #39

I replaced a bunch of my "puck" lights with the flat LEDs that have the two wires to fit the halogen base. Much cooler and brighter---much less power used. Found that the wires were too long for the base so had to cut about 1/3 off. Others have agreed. Good Luck!
docnanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
We replaced several of the ceiling lights in our '06 Dynasty with LED's, a little over a year ago. I've quite doing that, until I find LED's that are rated for a bit over 12V. Apparently our Magnum Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger goes high enough, from time to time, that it is killing the LED's. The original halogen bulbs put out such a pleasant colored light, and seem to have such a long life, and at a fraction of the cost of the LED's. For us, I guess new isn't necessarily better. Nearly half of the LED's we installed have failed.
I do not understand the G4 pucks are 12v and have nothing to do with MSW. I put in 30 G4 round 12 led bright white My simple test was one g4 halogen and 10 leds both used about the same power on watt meter. I have used mine everyday for last year and they are now much cheaper than the 15.00 ones I bought at fmca in mlps and none have burnt out. They do not work with dimmer switches. On or OFF. don u
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #41

Converted both my halogen and t5 flourecents over to led. power consumption and heat was greatly reduced. Also installed a new energy efficient ballast in the 120V flourecent in the kitchen. Attached a few pictures. The puck light led's just fit in the sockets but work ok. On my coach it was necessary to reverse polaity on a few sockets since the halogens are not polarity sensitive it was not a concern during construction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3643.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	31994   Click image for larger version

Name:	10X G4 24 SMD.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	31995