RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2011, 08:23 PM   #1

Coolant Capacity????

I have searched the net and found conflicting info. I have a 2001 Dynasty with the 370 HP ISL engine(8.9L) I know I can call Monaco and wait to be connected but can someone tell me on this board what the radiator cooling capacity is???

Thanks

jlshand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #2

Just to be clear, are you asking for the radiator capacity only or the total engine cooling capacity? My 05 dynasty holds 50 -55 qts. total cooling capacity. Not sure how much AquaHot hoses add but when I changed mine out, I measured how much came out when I drained the system. Then flushed the system out about three times with tap water and the last time with distilled water. I changed over to Final Charge and I bought the concentrated gallons and used distilled water to get the 50/50 mix. If you are changing out, keep in mind that you cannot get all of the coolant out so the amount you put back in is less than the total capacity. I think I bought 6 or 7 gallons of the concentrate when I did the change. However, I would make those calls to Monaco and Cummins to get that information correct.

Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Only specs I could find were in my Cummins Manual and it said 11.5Qts for the engine only. I could not find any coolant capacity specs in my Windsor manual at all even though it says to refer to the coolant capacity specs in the manual. So i guess it depends on size of rad and I guess length of MH would also come into play as the frt heater hoses would be longer. Sorry couldnt be of more help.

CHEERS
Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When I change the coolant I get a case of low silicate heavy duty ethylene glycol coolant
(6 gal) and 6 gal of distill water ( some use tap water) and the proper amount DCA-4 ( 1 pint for each 2 gal of mixture), my ISC engine takes about 10 1/2 gal and expect your early ISL to take the same amount.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #5

After reading your replies on adding coolant to your engines, I have a question...WHAT DO YOU USE TO ADD THE COOLANT?? I purchased a garden hose type pump that is run by a electric/battery drill..and it works... barely....I have a 400 ISL.. even though the resevoir is looking right at you.... adding coolant...I spill more than I get in..What do you guys/gals use????

Tedde
Old 11-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

TEDDE, I think I removed the hose at the bottom of the reservoir (running from the to the radiator/engine) and filled through it to get quite a bit of the coolant into the system. I then reconnected the hose and finished off filling through the reservoir. You can also use a step ladder and use a simple siphon hose to fill the reservoir. Just set the coolant on the paint shelf and start the siphon.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

Wink

Barlow46...Thanks for the tip....I never thought of using a step ladder and siphoning it into the resevoir..I will give it a try once all this snow is gone...Spring is around april up here in Canada so my coach is sleeping...

Tedde
Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are siphoning from 9 (or so) gallon containers, siphoning might be a pain. I used a long funnel and held it in position at the mouth of my coolant reservoir so that:
1) the funnel didn't flop around, and
2) the funnel didn't block the air that needs to escape from the reservoir.
So pouring from the gallon containers went smoothly and without spillage. The funnel is about 14" long. If need be, a funnel with a flexible delivery feature would do great.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote