Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Coolant reservoir 1992 Monaco Dynasty

Hi - New to RVing, we just bought a 1992 Dynasty 36' (8.3 Cummins) and I'm starting a list of things that need attention (I expect it will be a long list). Can someone who has a Monaco from this era with the 8.3 Cummins please post an engine-bay picture showing what the original-style coolant reservoir looks like?

A previous owner had swapped out the original coolant reservoir for a custom-made aluminum vessel (per the attached picture). The aluminum vessel has a regular pressure-relief fill cap on top, but it also has a fill-hole on the side that leaks like a seive. So, I can either permanently seal the side fill-hole shut (and hope it stays sealed), or get an original-style reservoir and install it.

The original reservoir mounting bracket is still there, it looks like the reservoir would have been a cylinder with a diameter of about 8". Hopefully the reservoir part is a standard item across several years of this model.

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1992 Monaco Dynasty coolant surge tank.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	214699  
Duck Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mark! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #3

My 1997 Dynasty has a Volvo tank, still available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coolant dyn.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	214750  
Old 08-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry42 View Post
If the Volvo tank is what you need, Dorman makes a replacement tank which you can get on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-603-55...lant+Reservoir
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #5

if you have engine problems I might be a pretty good source. I had the exact same engine in a 92 American Eagle 38 foot that I just sold. 400 miles after I bought it I had to completely rebuild it including cylinders, Pistons, bearings, valves and injector nozzles. I also did a valve job and replace 6 valves and shaved both exhaust mating surfaces. I also rebuilt the turbo. I replaced almost everything except the camshaft and tappets and crankshaft, Block, head, injector pump and alternator. Right after I sold it I bought a 2002 Monaco Windsor 40 foot PST which started a new circus for year of rebuilding everything but the engine and transmission. After replacing all appliances, inverter and Generator fan belt we are finally on the road. I strongly urge you to search for the Cummins website which has a tremendous amount of information the parts manual and Shop service manual for your 8.3. I also have a lot more information from what other owners have gotten into. It is a tough engine and the main reason I bought this Monaco because it has a 24-valve version of it. Unfortunately, it is electronic. Make sure the valves have been set recently and you can probably forget it for as long as you own it. You would be well-advised to check the numbers on the fuel feed hose because some of the gates how is this liners would fall apart and stopped up the fuel Inlet to the primary fuel filter and not show anything in the filter itself. my 92 didn't have the problem but my 2002 had it when I bought it. And many of them that had numerous injector pumps replaced because of this. Yours probably has a p 7100 fuel injection pump which is great. It could be modified very cheaply if your transmission can hold up to it. I found that my transmission which was a 543 I believe would not be able to hold up to it. If you have a 6030 Allison electronic transmission you might study it. Allison Allison can tell you from your serial number of the transmission if the torque converter can hold up to it. From what I understand Allison is also a great source of information.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #6

BTW, I am sure that my engine had been burned up before I bought it because of the surge tank leaking. When I removed one of the pistons from the cylinder that only had about a hundred and thirty pounds of compression about 60 pieces of piston rings fell off of it. 1 injector nozzle spring had broken and left the injector nozzle wide open spewing a mist of diesel fuel out the tailpipe 400 miles after I bought it.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

Wow, thanks for the quick and helpful replies! I'll check the dimensions of the Volvo/Dorman tank to see if it is the shoe to fit the princess's big foot, but it looks like the right shape and size. I don't know if it makes a difference to the tank that was used originally, but my MH has a Freightliner frame.

I've signed up on the Cummins quickserve site, lots of stuff to learn. Some of the original manuals were with the MH, but nothing for the engine or transmission.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry42 View Post
I ended up getting the Volvo-style coolant reservoir through Dorman, it fit perfectly so it must be the same as the original tank.

One minor thing, there is a sensor to monitor the fill level that is inserted in the top of the coolant reservoir, and on the sensor there are two attachment points for two wires. When I was removing the old tank I noticed there was only one wire connected to the sensor and there is no indication of a second wire in the vicinity of the tank (and of course I do not have a wiring schematic for the MH).
Can you tell me if the fill level sensor should in fact have two wires connected to it?

Thank you,
Mark
Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 AM   #9

Good morning Mark; If you have reinstalled the original Volvo tank, the low coolant sensor is threaded into the top of the tank. It looks like a piece of round aluminum rod that has a hex head with a place to attach one wire to the top of the sensor. The sensor I described is the original sensor Monaco installed in the Volvo tank. If your sensor has 2 wires on it, one wire goes to the low coolant light and the other goes to ground. As far as I know, it did not make any difference on my Windsor, what wire was attached to any of the two terminals. Had the same setup in my 2000 Monaco Windsor. Had to replace the one wire sensor along with the tank. Also should be an O ring that goes on the sensor. I tried a 2 wire sensor that I bought at a local truck parts place close to me and it did not work. The 2 wire sensor was not internally sealed and pushed coolant out the top of the sensor as pressure built in the tank. Had to install the 1 wire sensor. Hope this answers your question. I still have the one wire sensor for the Volvo tank in the basement if you need the Monaco part number.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #10

You would be well-advised to check the numbers on the fuel feed hose because some of the gates how is this liners would fall apart and stopped up the fuel Inlet to the primary fuel filter and not show anything in the filter itself. my 92 didn't have the problem but my 2002 had it when I bought it. And many of them that had numerous injector pumps replaced because of this.

Hello 79cvx20, I am most interested in your reply and specifically the comment regarding the fuel delivery lines (rubber). I recently acquired a '99 38' Dynasty(350hp ISC Cummins) that due to the former owners health had languished for 4 years plus. I spent several weeks resurrecting this coach and decided to take a shake-down drive of some 400 miles. I incurred a problem which resulted in a diesel repair facility replacing the lift pump. I am not confidant this part change did not address the root cause of my problem and suspect there may be a fuel line issue. You indicate "stopped up the fuel inlet to the primary fuel filter" when this problem is present how is it corrected completely? I am about to replace all of the delivery and return fuel lines to the engine and gen set but want to be sure if there is any contaminants left in the system the get removed.
I am a retired design and development engineer (engine emissions and driveability) but my diesel experience is limited.
Thanks and Regards, Derbyncrewe
derbyncrewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:51 AM   #11

Fuel lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyncrewe View Post
You would be well-advised to check the numbers on the fuel feed hose because some of the gates how is this liners would fall apart and stopped up the fuel Inlet to the primary fuel filter and not show anything in the filter itself. my 92 didn't have the problem but my 2002 had it when I bought it. And many of them that had numerous injector pumps replaced because of this.

Hello 79cvx20, I am most interested in your reply and specifically the comment regarding the fuel delivery lines (rubber). I recently acquired a '99 38' Dynasty(350hp ISC Cummins) that due to the former owners health had languished for 4 years plus. I spent several weeks resurrecting this coach and decided to take a shake-down drive of some 400 miles. I incurred a problem which resulted in a diesel repair facility replacing the lift pump. I am not confidant this part change did not address the root cause of my problem and suspect there may be a fuel line issue. You indicate "stopped up the fuel inlet to the primary fuel filter" when this problem is present how is it corrected completely? I am about to replace all of the delivery and return fuel lines to the engine and gen set but want to be sure if there is any contaminants left in the system the get removed.
I am a retired design and development engineer (engine emissions and driveability) but my diesel experience is limited.
Thanks and Regards, Derbyncrewe
Copied from:

Ivylog:
“When you turn the key on do you hear the lift pump mounted on the engine run for aprox 30 seconds? If not then on the board in the back run box with the two large switches for starting, the right hand (of 2) fuses is blown. I would replace both fuses with 20A auto reset breakers.”

From what I can remember most of the fuses in that right rear compartment are in little black plastic compartments that look like wiring connectors. Ivylog is probably right about the location of that fuse because it is right next to the lift pump and I know it is only supposed to run about 30 seconds. I found out the hard way and put a new one on. The way I found my problem was that I was putting on a Fass fuel pump system. I needed the inlet fitting to finish the install. Later on this week I will be able to look at my 2002 Monaco that had bad fuel problems. I will look for my receipts for the parts, hose and hose fittings. I'll also take photos of the hoes numbers. The first hoses I bought we're not compatible with diesel fuel even though the hose company said it was. I studied the specs on that and the hose that they were going to replace it with and found neither we're supposed to be used. The second one they tried to sell me was the same number as the original. Evidently, Gates and the RV manufacturers from like between 1999 and 2004 all had these hoses on them and the Gates hose catalog says that this “hose is no longer recommended for use in OEM manufacturers vehicles”. I finally found the Gates hose that was correct. I'll do my best to find the part numbers. Most of the studying I did on this Forum indicated that several people had replaced their caps fuel injection pump more than once. I suspect that this line falling apart was the cause of most of the problems. One man replaced his CAPS fuel pump three times in about a year-and-a-half. Several thousand dollars probably wasted.
You definitely want to replace all the hoses on the low pressure side of the system. I don't think my Fass fuel pump system was actually necessary but since I had it half installed I went ahead and finished. I have not had any problems with the engine since then.

This is the fuel line elbow that screws into the primary fuel filter. It is stopped up with shredded plastic from the deteriorating fuel feed line from the tank. The primary fuel filter housing that it screws into has a check valve in it and it was also stopped up with the same stuff. It looks like plastic Brillo pad material. you can probably cut the filter apart and still not find any of it.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=79cvx20;4382812] I was putting on a Fass fuel pump system. QUOTE]

I have a Cummins 8.3 mechanical engine and am thinking about installing a Fass System. Is this hard to do? I would appreciate your thoughts and any info you could provide.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hello, sorry to pull up this old post, but I just bought a 1992 Monaco Dynasty with the 8.3 Cummins. I do not see either of the over flow compartments on my RV. I have a Radiator fill that is on the side on the coach. It is actually totally sideways and hard to add coolant. Am I missing this reservior? or is my 36' different then yours?
Also do you have the rear controls? I have rear engine controls that look to be where this reservior is on yours, or right next to it. I can't read the mine. can anyone share a pic so I can see how the switches should be positioned?
thanks
Swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

Congrats on your new purchase.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monaco, monaco dynasty