RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coolant Testing Questions

Working my way through my list of overdue maintenance items. Coolant is at the top of the list.
2008 Diplomat with a 400HP ISL9.

First - Fleetguard test strips ... how critical is the expiry date. Never looked when I ordered them but these expired in January. Still usable or toss?

Second - instructions say sample should be from radiator or petcock. I can't find a petcock nor a rad cap except the one on the expansion tank. Where do I collect a sample?

Third - I've seen a lot of comments regarding a coolant filter. Do I have one? If so, where?

PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First, test strips should be fine if they were kept in the package in a resonably cool location.
Second, take your sample from the surge tank. It's not the same as an overflow tank. When the engine is running, the coolant in your surge tank is constantly being turned over.
Third, your 07 or 08 built engine did not come with a coolant filter. If your engine was built in 06, or earlier, I really don't know whether you will have a filter or not.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandDeb View Post
Working my way through my list of overdue maintenance items. Coolant is at the top of the list.
2008 Diplomat with a 400HP ISL9.

First - Fleetguard test strips ... how critical is the expiry date. Never looked when I ordered them but these expired in January. Still usable or toss?

Second - instructions say sample should be from radiator or petcock. I can't find a petcock nor a rad cap except the one on the expansion tank. Where do I collect a sample?

Third - I've seen a lot of comments regarding a coolant filter. Do I have one? If so, where?

I have used expired and fresh (one after the other) and results were identical.

Can't help with yes/no coolant filter.

I use the expansion tank but carefully (don't drop the strip). I staple the strip to a chopstick for reach.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

On my 03 Windsor ISL the coolant filter is beside the oil filter .
There is also a petcock next to it mounted in the block however I advise
that you not use the petcock because so many people have twisted it off .
Use the expansion tank .

Ray
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

on my 08 contessa with a c9 there is a petcock in the lower hose. you may want to get a sample and send it to cummins or cat. test strips dont show ph or lots of other things. i was in your position this last week and made the decision to not even test it- cant be very good at 10 years old. six gallons of delo elc concentrate, one gallon of delo elc 50/50, and a bunch of distilled water and it should be good for the rest of my life
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKathyC View Post
on my 08 contessa with a c9 there is a petcock in the lower hose. you may want to get a sample and send it to cummins or cat. test strips dont show ph or lots of other things. i was in your position this last week and made the decision to not even test it- cant be very good at 10 years old. six gallons of delo elc concentrate, one gallon of delo elc 50/50, and a bunch of distilled water and it should be good for the rest of my life
i failed to mention that mine was not elc when i started-if it had been i would have taken a sample from to lower hose petcock, sent it to cat and followed their suggestions
DanKathyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Echoing above. Test strips probably ok for a few months past expiry. A year? I dunno. Use the surge tank to sample. My Ď06 Diplomat with an Ď05 ISL 400 does not have a coolant filter.
Smhutto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I wouldn't fool with the test strips. It relies on color matching to determine SCA levels which is somewhat subjective.

I would just take a sample and get it analyzed. It will tell you everything you need to know.

I was worried about my coolant (yes I was using the test strips but wasn't confident in the results). I even got a quote to have it drained, flushed, changed (~$600). I had owned the coach for ~7 years and didn't know prior history. I took a sample and sent to JG Lubrication. Sample came back showing the coolant was essentially good as new.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #9

08 Diplomat ISL no coolant filter. No petcock on radiator just a plug on road side of radiator behind a brace loosen it youíll loose all coolant. Test at surge tank. Changed mine to the Rotella extended life got it at Tractor Supply

mccrob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
test