Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #1

Correct Bilstein Shocks 2001 Dynasty

Hello All, I am about to buy new shocks for my 2001 Dynasty and I have come across an interesting Dilemma. There is one set of Bilsteins for the Dyn,Sig and Exec(F4-BE5-F629-HO) designated by Bilstein for the '90-'01 I assume these are the models with the original rebound settings which caused owners to complain of the harsh reaction to bumps and expansion strips. There is another model for the '02 and up Dyn,Sig and Exec (F4-BE5-628-HO).Interestingly some listings call these 628 models HD as well as C, while others call the 629 HD ??
I called Bilstein and was told that the 628 models are listed as Comfort models which have reduced rebound stiffness as compared to the earlier models. The Bilstein rep stated they were very close but most have preferred the Comfort model. He also said they would be fine on my 2001 Dynasty.
This seems to confirm what Steveownby has mentioned about Bilstein re-valving the shocks for the RR8S Dyn,Sig and Exec chassis.
Has anyone had experience with these models?
I do want to stay with Bilsteins although others have had success with Konis.
thanks
Barrier
Note: I had originally added this as a reply on another thread which I am trying to delete.

Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #2

Still Searching

I am still searching for an answer on this choice.
On one hand I assume that the new series of Bilstein Shocks F4-BE5 have all been re-valved to give a softer ride. However I have been told that the model F4-BE5-628HO designated for the 2002 and up Dynasty, Sig, and Exec are the softer valved and the F4-BE5-629HO are the firmer models for the '90-'01 models. This seems to defy logic since the Dynasty gained about 10,000 lbs from the 33k on my '01 up to in excess of 43k on the 03 models. Why would a heavier unit have been re-valved for a softer ride.
A member has mentioned that since the Dynasty in 01 was the lightest of the 3 (DYN, Sig,Exec), it suffered the most from the firmer shocks. This makes sense, how ever since the weight went up wouldn't that kinda thrown that theory out?
Any comments or thoughts would be helpful.
thanks
Barrier
Old 11-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
This web page shows either model BE5-F628-HO or BE5-F629-H0 for the 01 Dyn but only the BE5-F628-H0 for the 02 to 07.

eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?Model_Index=2Q11&Manf=All&SubChar=Q

walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 06:07 AM   #4

Bilsteins

Thanks for the reply Walt. I saw that listing from eshocks. I just cannot understand how Bilstein lists the same shock stock number as "Heavy Duty" for one model ('02-on) and "Comfort" for another ('90-'01) when the weights are the same or in fact higher for the later models.
I will most probably buy the Comfort models. I still would like to know how well the Comfort Models control "porpoising". I am very concerned about this. In my experience Air Suspension vehicles are more prone to this phenomena and need more control in the shocks.
Barrier
Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Barrier I think I would call Bilstein for a explanation before I bought, I have the old style Koni on the front and was considering the Bilstein comfort on the rear in the future. We have never had a problem with porpoising with the Dip or the Dynasty.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #6

Shocks

Just an explanation.
In the '80s I owned a 1986 Itasca Windcruiser a really nice well appointed Motorhome in fact a flagship of the Winnebago line. This model was the 31RS (32') and came with a 190" wheelbase. This necessitated a rather large overhang in the rear. To compensate a road rite air bags were offered in the rear as well as the inside the front springs air bag on the GM P40 chassis. Winnebago also added "ride right shocks" all to help.
Although this was a Great Motorhome and my family loved it, no one ever napped in the rear as we traveled. The motions (Porpoising) felt on the rear Oueen would '"cause seasickness".
Barrier
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 AM   #7

Just something that you may or may not know....if your mind is set on Bilsteins...is they are guaranteed for life to the original owner.....if you are one.they are free
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #8

Bilstein

Thanks for the reply pipedream2. I have heard both sides.
1. Lifetime Guarantee.
2. Lifetime Guarantee only on Aftermarket Sale.
Hard to get the correct answer. There may be a different code on the OEM Shocks.
Does anybody have experience with this?
Barrier
Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Barrier did you ever get the Bilstein shocks? If so how bout a report.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #10

Hi Walt, Yes I bought the Bilstein BE5-F629-HO as called for on my Coach. They seem to be great! I have not driven it very much though just around town here.The Highways where I can really check it out are not near us.
We will be on the Road at the middle or end of April if it ever stops SNOWING.
Right now I am checking for Tire information on another thread.
SOOO MUCH to do on the MH and our Home. Somehow I had much more time Before I retired, I may have to go back to work to rest up.
NOT!
Robert