Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #1

Correct Radiator Cap

Hello All, The Radiator actually the Coolant Tank Cap on my 2001 Monaco Dynasty (8.3) needs to be replaced. The original was lost after the Tech at Indianapolis Camper World Service did not tighten it down correctly.I have tried to locate both the correct pressure and the correct model with no success. Does anone know the answer? I tried calling Cummins, they said the Manufacturer would know. No luck with Monaco either.
Please help.
Barrier
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What engine do you have? I Haver a 330HP ISC 8.3 with a nylon (??) overflow tank anda 10 PSI cap.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

Coolant Tank Cap

Thanks for the response Roland, I have the 8.3 350 HP engine. I also have the Nylon/Plastic tank. Do you have a part number or Brand on your cap? The replacement cap that was put on by a service center was a 16lbs cap. I think that is too high. 10lbs sounds more like it. The cap they put on did not fit correctly that is why I need the brand and part number.
Barrier
Old 11-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
There were two different surge tanks (coolant overflow) used that year. If your tank has the cap in the center at the top and front of the tank, it is the older type.

The newer tank and cap are available form a Volvo Truck dealer.

The older tank is no longer being made. I think the old style cap is also available from Volvo as part # 21208-3202 but am not real sure about that. Would be worth a all to them and see.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #5

THANKS FOR THE REPLY Rex.
My Coolant Tank is the center neck placed on an angle.
Here is a photo of the same one though not mine: I tried the Volvo numbers, they seem to be threaded versions. What is the acceptable pressure 7-10lbs?
thanks
Barrier
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/VALUED%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/VALUED%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/VALUED%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/VALUED%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Barrier,

I just checked the cap. No manufacturers name or part number. The usual warnings and a 10 PSI notation. It does say "Made in Mexico". It is a standard twist on version and your picture looks like my tank. Get a 10 PSI twist lock from Wally World or your local auto supply and you should be fine.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #7

Roland, Thanks that should do it.
Now how do I get the Coach to Mexico to pick one up? Think she will make it without a Coolant Tank Cap?
Seriously I do appreciate.
Barrier
Old 11-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
For what it's worth, I have an ISC 330 in my 2006 Ambassador, and had the radiator/cooling system flushed, cleaned and refilled recently at Cummins in Phoenix. They replaced my radiator cap with a 16 pound rated one, I believe it is a Stant and it is marked "M8". Hope they put the right one on (10 vs 16 lb).
azstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #9

Hi, I have been told anywhere from 7-16 lbs. When I asked here the consensus seems to lean toward 10 lbs.
I am going to try 10lbs.
Please let us know what you learn.
Barrier
Old 11-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
Hi, I have been told anywhere from 7-16 lbs. When I asked here the consensus seems to lean toward 10 lbs.
I am going to try 10lbs.
Please let us know what you learn.
Barrier
Mine, 07 Dip with 400 ISL is a 16 lb. The more pressure, the higher the boiling point, but I would figure that with more pressure would also come more chance of leak.
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote