Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cost for radiator repair

Oh boy. Looks like I have a worsening coolant leak on my Dip's radiator core...very close to where the upper hose attaches to the radiator. Best evidence is that it cannot be stopped by tightening the hose clamp (but I will try this, none-the-less).

So.....
Anyone have a projected cost for a service center removing/fixing/installing (w/ new coolant). The radiator cannot be removed w/o unbolting the CAC and tranny coolers, fan, fan shroud, etc., etc., etc. Lots of labor.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Side rad in/out...ten hours labor with a good tech at Aliance Coach in Wildwood,FL (former Monaco guys) coolant and all about $1,500. I took the rad to a shop for repair and brought it back, repair was about $80 and include in the price above. NOT a one day job. After watching/helping I would do it myself the next time. It had a piece of something (never found) bounce up into the shroud and holed it. The inside and outside of that rad is now protected with formed hardware wire!
Good Luck..
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had my radiator recored and it was approx 1500 for the recore plus labor and coolant.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Robi, go to eBay and look at item 130336463929 and see if you don't think it will work. This is a brand new radiator, cac and shroud and I think you also get a new transmission oil cooler with it. Diplomat Don bought one of these and wrote a thread on IRV 2 about changing out the radiator. Yes I know you only need the radiator but this package may be much cheaper than just the radiator alone.

The surplus dealer that has this is:

Johnson's Surplus
12195 US 12
White Pigeon, MI 49099
269-483-2249

Give them a call and see if it works. They can send you more pictures from all sides. He bought these from the Indiana Monaco plant when they went bankrupt.

Now if you are near North Alabama, let me know and I will give you the name of two companies that can do the change out for you and either make a new radiator or repair the old one.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rex, I did take a look on ebay. There's a lot there for the price. Thanks Twomed and 97Windsor for your inputs.

My Dip has a rear radiator, and today's investigation (meaning: I actually got dirty) suggests that I have a flat tube (of the "flat tube corrugated fin" construction) that failed. My guess is that this is not the fault of FOD.

I'm gonna try doing the radiator removal myself.....and then let a local radiator shop give me the bad news.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #6
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Robi, that radiator is very heavy, so you will need some extra hands. May be possible to use a series of jacks to help lower it down to the ground, and you may need to get the back end up higher than normal, but not sure about that. Hopefully Diplomat Don will chime in and provide some first hand info on how to remove it. He replaced his himself.

Hey I found his thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/radi...ace-87802.html

Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Reviewed D.Don's write up. Very helpful. Thanx.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Robi,
I had to have my radiator replaced in 2009. It was covered by an extended warranty so I had all the work done by Cummins West in Bakersfield. Total cost was $3,233.49. The new radiator was fabricated by a company in Oregon and cost $1,812, labor to remove and install was $1,272.00 then there was 149.49 for tax.

On me 06 Endeavor the tubes were leaking where they connected to the tank. Because of the type of tube and how they were held in the tank it was not repairable. Hope yours is repairable if not try to get a new one with copper instead of aluminium tubes. I think there has been a lot of discussion on the Monacoers forum in Yahoo groups.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Robi.1014.......My radiator started leaking in the same spot. Apparently this was caused by the way the radiators were mounted until later years. I used the surplus radiator which was a brand new 2009. Your radiator just lays in a metal frame with a thin strip of rubber between it and the CAC. The new radiator is a 1/2" shorter and uses rubber cups on the top and bottom like they use in a car for support.

I couldn't find a direct replacement radiator anywhere and since mine was aluminum, it was not repairable. The R&R is not difficult, just time consuming.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don,
I took my radiator out. Your pictures were a great help is helping me plan my actions. The CAC is undisturbed and still in place. The tranny cooler had to be disconnected to create enough space to pull the radiator out.

Experts have told me not to bother attempting a repair of my '04 all-aluminum radiator. My mindset is that I need to purchase a "newer technology" radiator ... apparently as you did (i.e., with a better mounting design....hence less chance of vibration/stress failure).

So for Don:
For your 2009 "surplus" radiator, is it aluminum core but with plastic on both ends?

For itDave,
What is the "technology" of the radiator you had constructed for your rig?

For Rex,
The ebay (Johnson surplus) CAC/Radiator bundle is tempting, but the bottom outlet is on the curb side rather than road side....so I'd have to do more "engineering" to make it work. I asked Johnson if he might have any other solutions for me (he's checking). Also Rex: is your current radiator the original?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Robi the radiator Diplomat Don bought is the same one I referred you to at Johnson's Surplus so Don may be better able to answer about installation problems with the inlet and outlet.

Yes my radiator is original, but it is copper with metal tanks, and I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Here are two companies that can build what you want:

Fleet Air Technologies, Inc
998 Railroad St., NW
Hartselle, AL 35640
800-398-5471 or 256-754-0034
Fleet Air Technology - Charge Air Coolers

Brice Thomas RadiatorC, G & J, Inc.
2776 Wills Creek Road
Gadsden, AL 35904
800-223-4299 or 256-546-4613
CG and J Inc. —

Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Robi......05' must be the year they changed the radiator style. Yes, the tank is aluminum with plastic ends and the lower hose is on the curb side.

I also went with silicon radiator hoses. I just ordered pieces with the correct diameter and 90 degree bends. The pieces allowed me to construct all new hoses. I felt the silicon was softer and more pliable, transferring less stress to the radiator.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since mine was done under extended warranty I did not get much say. Looks like it is still aluminium.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rex to the rescue .... again. New radiator (all aluminum) being shipped from Alabama. About $1500 and shipping cost. From Brice Thomas Radiator / C, G & J, Inc.

I have the skill-sets needed to fit the ebay radiator/CAC into my rig as Don did to his. But I just wasn't up for the job.

Tags
radiator, repair