Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2019, 01:33 PM   #15

Different than my wheels however I do see that every other lug nut is a lug nut with washer (which is one that is missing) and not sure what the other lug nuts look like.

I simply can't imagine that they hold the wheels on with 1/2 of the lug nuts on each wheel. That would be 4 to hold the wheels and 4 to hold the simulators on an 8 lug wheel.

On mine (slightly different setup) All 10 hold the wheels on, 5 through the center cap trim simulator and 5 over (on top of) the center cap trim simulator, all torqued the same to 450 FTLB.

I don't have experience with your exact wheel and simulators so I have much to learn about other setups.
My vote however is something is not right there.

Hope I am wrong!
Windecker
RV #5 1999 Monaco Signature Slide ISM 11 450
RV #6 2005 Monaco Executive 43PBQ Detroit Series 60
Honda Fit, Odyssey or Cargo trailer in tow.
Windecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #16

My wheel simulators are neary identical to the ones in the OP's pictures.

Please note that the chrome nuts DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT hold the wheels on lol!

For the rears, the 4 decorative chrome acorn nuts hold the axle cover on against the much larger wheel simulator. If the OP were to remove all 4 chrome nuts, she could lift the axle cover away and see all 8 of the actual lug nuts underneath it.

The front wheels are probably similar, but may differ slightly. On my coach the 4 chrome acorn nuts hold the one piece wheel simulator on. The 8 true lug nuts are under the wheel simulator.

One thing I can say about them is that you definitely don't want to tighten those chrome nuts too much, especially in the rear. You may end up collapsing the flange of the axle cover.
SmokyPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:46 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyPond View Post
My wheel simulators are neary identical to the ones in the OP's pictures.

Please note that the chrome nuts DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT hold the wheels on lol!

For the rears, the 4 decorative chrome acorn nuts hold the axle cover on against the much larger wheel simulator. If the OP were to remove all 4 chrome nuts, she could lift the axle cover away and see all 8 of the actual lug nuts underneath it.

The front wheels are probably similar, but may differ slightly. On my coach the 4 chrome acorn nuts hold the one piece wheel simulator on. The 8 true lug nuts are under the wheel simulator.

One thing I can say about them is that you definitely don't want to tighten those chrome nuts too much, especially in the rear. You may end up collapsing the flange of the axle cover.
So my husband did tighten them down tight, and now I am worried. What do we need to look for to see if it did collapse the flange on the axle cover?
Old 04-24-2019, 03:21 PM   #18

If the metal area surrounding the nut isn't distorted or bowed in excessively, you're OK.

It's not critical. You just don't want the nuts to crumple and ruin the aesthetics of the piece

SmokyPond is offline   Reply With Quote