Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #1

Cover for 2002 Diplomat

I'm Looking for the best source for a good cover for my 2002 38' Diplomat. Any suggestions? I've looked at the one in Camping World and found a review that wasn't very flattering.
lbingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use an Adco cover when not using my 40' H.R. for awhile. They make different types for different climates. It is not much trouble to put on by myself, just don't do it on a windy day. To store it I use the recomended way of a very large rolling garbage container.(65 gal. at least) It is much easier with two to store it, one person to stuff it in the container and the other to guide it from the roof. I start putting the back in first, that way when I put it back on I am pulling the front out first and laying it out on the top of the rv before tossing the sides over. Takes about 1/2 hr to put on by myself,(probably an hour the first time) about the same to take off with DW help.
When I finsh, just roll the container in the garage. It'll have to do till my piggy bank gets full and I can build something to put it in. They don't keep them completly dry but it stays very clean, and don't have to wash it every week or two!
Thats my story, hope it's what you were looking for.
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I used a 30x50 (or whatever it was) gray tarp to cover a previous MH one winter season. Bad mistake, as the wind caused the tarp creases to slowly 'abrade' areas in the gelcoat. Not bad enough that it made holes, but definitely enough to cause permanent 'sanded' spots.
Spend the $$$ and get a good fabric-type kind, worth it in the long run.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the Adco cover.
I tie a rope around it and hoist it to the roof, spread it out the length of the coach, drape the front and back caps, then I carefully drape it over the sides starting a the front and working to the back. As I step off the roof and down the ladder, I wrap the top of the ladder with the little cover they give you so the top of the ladder doesn't cut the cover.
Once on the ground, I pull the front of the cover over the mirrors and secure the front straps. Then the back straps. Lastly, I throw the side straps as far as I can under the coach. From the other (latching) side, I use my awning pole to grab the straps from under the coach and lock them. Be sure to leave them loose so you don't bind the cover. You ant the cover fairly loose.
Reverse the procedure to remove.
Some will say not to cover your coach as it will scratch the paint. I have not experienced any scratching as a result of covering. I never cover my coach when it is dirty and have had only very minor abrasions from the straps on the lower edge of my cargo doors. Wax cleans those right up.
Its a pretty big job and as John said, never do it when it is real windy. Been there, done that. Almost was launched off the roof. The protection for the coach is well worth the trouble.
One more tip. My coach is 36'. My first cover was the one that goes to 34 - 37'. While it fit nice and tight, it did not last. It tore at most of the corners in the first year. I now buy the 37 - 40' cover and this one has lasted four years so far with no tears.
Good luck.
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote