Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM   #1

Cruise Control does not disengage

I have a 2006 HR Sceptor with a Cummings 400 ISC engine and the cruise control will not maintain speed setting it keeps climbing until turned off. It also turned itself on and went on high idle yesterday while being fueled. I have owned this coach for a year and a half with no issues. Any suggestions ?
steve119300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like a clock spring issue. Watch to see if wheel position makes a difference
1CoolZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
With the SmartWheel, there is also a circuit board in the steering wheel that takes the button presses and converts them to multiplex signal for uses by Smart Wheel controller. Maybe this board is going bad (or buttons are sticking). If it is not the clockspring that failed, I think this control board would be my best guess for your failure point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Column multiplex board (SmartWheel).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	213698  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Thank-you gentlemen for your reply's, you have given me a place to start. We are on the road so it will be a week before I dive in and the smart wheel folks have good diagnostics on line so I'll let you know what I find. On another issue CounrtyB I see you have a bike lift, what brand? would you recommend it? Wife and I are preparing for retirement and am torn between trailer or lift and flat towing for bike and car. Thanks again
Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never heard of that problem. Saw you are kinda new and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve119300 View Post
On another issue CounrtyB I see you have a bike lift, what brand? would you recommend it? Wife and I are preparing for retirement and am torn between trailer or lift and flat towing for bike and car. Thanks again
I have the HydraLift Motorhome Lift – Hydralift Motorcycle Lifts
It's considered by many to be the Cadillac of lifts. Teh HydraLift is a hydraulic lift. Very smooth and well made. But it tends to be at the upper end of the price scale.

I like the bike lift because I can back up if needed and don't need to worry about the extra 20 ft of length a toad would add. the downside of course is that if it rains I get wet or just stay in the coach. BTW - with the HydraLift installed you can still tow if you want. There is a receiver on the HydraLift rated for 8,000 lbs (tongue weight of 500 lbs).

I got it used off the Classified section here (I see there is still one for sale there) and self-installed. I have a thread on the installation here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/insta...er-376741.html

If you are considering a bike lift, you need to have the carrying capacity for the weight. My coach has a Tag axle and has no issues carrying an extra 1,000 lbs (800 for bike and 200 for lift). If you have a single rear axle coach you would need to calculate what you can carry on that axle without overloading it.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #7

I wanted to post a follow-up, today was our first on the road since the issue and the camper must have worked their magic as the cruise worked all day with no issues!! I am hoping for the best. Thanks