Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Cruise Control quit mid day

I was traveling and all of a sudden the cruise control went "off". Have not been able to engage it since. I can set a cruise speed and that will display on the Aladdin panel. When I hit the resume button on the smart wheel the "check engine light" will come on. At no time though will the Aladdin Display show the cruise control is on. It just will not engage.

Any idea what could cause this or where to begin to trouble shoot?

Thanks for your help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
YC1

As silly as this sounds, fuel filters, computers, and antilock brake systems do mental things to the computers. Since the check engine light comes on I would change fuel filters. Maybe a shot of water in the system after refueling?

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know about the check engine lite but the cruise control won't engage if the Jake brake/retarder is on. Also if the brake lites are on it will not engage.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #4

If the check engine light comes on means you have a problem and you should get the trouble code read and fix the sensor. Your owners manual should have a procedure in the engine section to tell you how to read the codes by making the CEL flash and to have you count the flashes.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

Cruise

Mike is right, but as mentioned if your brake lights, or Jake brake is on, the cruise won't work. Been there done that several times. Check brake light bulbs first. Good luck

Safe travels
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:44 AM   #6
YC1

Does he have a "Jake brake" ?. I have an exhaust brake on my 08. Cruise works fine with the brake in the on position.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #7

I don't believe you would get a CEL if the brake lights or exhaust brake is on. Maybe wrong but I don't believe the engine computer would recognize that as a fault. If it did then I think that it would have been mentioned on this forum numerous times in the past.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your help all. I will try and figure this out and post what I come up with.

BTW no Jake brake my Beaver it has an exhaust brake.

This forum is such a good resource, much appreciated

Steve
Old 07-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Thanks for your help all. I will try and figure this out and post what I come up with.

BTW no Jake brake my Beaver it has an exhaust brake.

This forum is such a good resource, much appreciated

Steve
With the check engine light I would be changing fuel filters as a start. The ATC, automatic traction control can cause issues too. Hitting severe bumps or railroad tracks can sometimes confuse them. I have had to turn my battery banks off to get things to reset before. Yes these things can all be related and annoying. I have been monitoring this forum for a long time and see these kinds of goofy symptoms often.

Tags
cruise control