Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
One more thing, if I were you I would take it off and take it with you. Monaco told me the wrong one first time. This is a common truck part but the tread size was not so it may save you a trip. As with all rv's parts change from unit to unit year to year.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep
One more thing, if I were you I would take it off and take it with you. Monaco told me the wrong one first time. This is a common truck part but the tread size was not so it may save you a trip. As with all rv's parts change from unit to unit year to year.
Thank you so much. This is a safety issue and one I look forward to fixing. 22 each ill replace them both too. Interesting the third on the treadle. My parking brake stays illuminated on occasion after it is released. Perhaps I need to replace all three. Did you get the part at alliance? Do you recall the part number?
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
The parking brake light will stay on if your air pressure is low enough. Most should turn on at 60 or below. Mine turns around 70psi
Old 01-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #18

I am a little confused. My cruise control is also a little hard to release. My confusion comes as to what makes the brake lights come on when the engine brake is engaged? I haven't seen any discussion of how this all works together. Can anyone explain how all this is designed to work? My coach is a 2011 Knight.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
The NAPA part number for the stoplight switch is BE13250
Bought the part and will replace it this week. Will post some pictures. NAPA only had one though which leads me to my question. I understand I will find these two switches below the brake pedal in the generator door top right. Is there a way to differentiate between the brake and the cruise switch either visually or with a meter?

Jeff
Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Only way I could think of would be to disconnect the wires on on. Then have someone step on the brake. If the brake lights do or don't come on you know which is which.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
Only way I could think of would be to disconnect the wires on on. Then have someone step on the brake. If the brake lights do or don't come on you know which is which.
On one..... Dam cell phone keyboard
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Perfect!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
I am a little confused. My cruise control is also a little hard to release. My confusion comes as to what makes the brake lights come on when the engine brake is engaged? I haven't seen any discussion of how this all works together. Can anyone explain how all this is designed to work? My coach is a 2011 Knight.
I'll give a global brake system explanation a shot.
You have three types of brakes on a typical diesel with air. They are 1 Service brake (pedal), Parking brake (knob on dash, pull to engage), and engine brake (a switch that can toggle the brake off, or on when throttle NOT pressed, until vehicle speed is too low for it to operate, when it will turn off)

The brake lights (being the ones on the back of the rig... only come on when the service brake is depressed. When you press the service brake (that's the foot pedal), air pressure builds in the brake lines proportionate to the pressure your foot exerts on the pedal. An air pressure sensing switch in those lines turns on the electrical current to the brake lights.

The parking brake works by letting air pressure OUT of a separate set of air lines, which allows heavy springs to apply the brake shoes. The springs are very strong, and it takes at least 30 psi to START to release them and 60 or so to totally disengage them. Don't drive away until they are OFF. When they are released, a switch in the lines turns off the dashboard light, buzzer, etc. The system is designed to "fail-safe" in other words, if you lose air pressure, the parking brake will come on, so fix any leaks right away!

The engine brake is not related to either of the normal braking systems, but does cancel the cruise control when engaged. It flips a butterfly in the air intake system to the engine preventing the pistons from drawing in air into the cylinders, slowing the engine and letting it create drag. The "Jake brake" system also usually downshifts the transmission early to amplify the braking effect.

It's really important to read and understand the manual for your set-up with regard to the correct use of the braking systems, how they work, and what needs to be checked and lubed and how often. These rigs are heavy, and any increase in stopping distance beyond the already sluggish braking could be a disaster.

How did I do?
Freedmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedmeister View Post
I'll give a global brake system explanation a shot.
You have three types of brakes on a typical diesel with air. They are 1 Service brake (pedal), Parking brake (knob on dash, pull to engage), and engine brake (a switch that can toggle the brake off, or on when throttle NOT pressed, until vehicle speed is too low for it to operate, when it will turn off)

The brake lights (being the ones on the back of the rig... only come on when the service brake is depressed. When you press the service brake (that's the foot pedal), air pressure builds in the brake lines proportionate to the pressure your foot exerts on the pedal. An air pressure sensing switch in those lines turns on the electrical current to the brake lights.

The parking brake works by letting air pressure OUT of a separate set of air lines, which allows heavy springs to apply the brake shoes. The springs are very strong, and it takes at least 30 psi to START to release them and 60 or so to totally disengage them. Don't drive away until they are OFF. When they are released, a switch in the lines turns off the dashboard light, buzzer, etc. The system is designed to "fail-safe" in other words, if you lose air pressure, the parking brake will come on, so fix any leaks right away!

The engine brake is not related to either of the normal braking systems, but does cancel the cruise control when engaged. It flips a butterfly in the air intake system to the engine preventing the pistons from drawing in air into the cylinders, slowing the engine and letting it create drag. The "Jake brake" system also usually downshifts the transmission early to amplify the braking effect.

It's really important to read and understand the manual for your set-up with regard to the correct use of the braking systems, how they work, and what needs to be checked and lubed and how often. These rigs are heavy, and any increase in stopping distance beyond the already sluggish braking could be a disaster.

How did I do?
Not bad but the brake lights do come on when the "jake brake" engages. You can have the "jake brake" switch in the "on" position without the "jake brake" engaging. When you let off on the throttle, the "jake brake" will engage and the brake lights will come on with actually hitting the brake pedal. This is how my 05 dynasty works.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #25

Same on my Engine Brake. Where is the switch, or whatever, that makes the brake lights activate when the engine brake is active?
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wigginsjsr View Post
Same on my Engine Brake. Where is the switch, or whatever, that makes the brake lights activate when the engine brake is active?
No switch that I am aware of. As long as the "jake brake" switch is on and the throttle is released, the "third" brake light comes on when the "jake brake" engages. I guess there is a way to disconnect the wire that activates the brake light from the "jake" but not sure where it runs from.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJeep View Post
The NAPA part number for the stoplight switch is BE13250
In the generator door are two air brake stop switches. Napa part BE13250. I replaced them both and mad no difference on my cruise being hard to disengage with the service brake:(.
I now have two used, but apparently functioning BE13250 stop switches if anyone needs one

Maybe there is another adjustment for the cruise or maybe it is just the nature of a cruise release on air brakes.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff753 View Post
In the generator door are two air brake stop switches. Napa part BE13250. I replaced them both and mad no difference on my cruise being hard to disengage with the service brake:(.
I now have two used, but apparently functioning BE13250 stop switches if anyone needs one

Maybe there is another adjustment for the cruise or maybe it is just the nature of a cruise release on air brakes.

Jeff
Someone mentioned a third switch that switches the parking brake light. Is that switch located below the parking brake plunger?