Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #1

CRV toad top speed 65?

I've been looking at Honda CRV's for a toad. I read on a web site that the speed be limited to 65mph. Any thoughts from current CRV owners?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco Wolfy View Post
I've been looking at Honda CRV's for a toad. I read on a web site that the speed be limited to 65mph. Any thoughts from current CRV owners?
I have and love our 2014. I usually run at 65 behind my rig but in Idaho speed limits are 80/70 so I have run at 70 steadily with a couple of bursts higher. No issues so far.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
That is what Honda states in the Owner's Manuel. I've exceeded that on occasion, but only for a few seconds. Your experience might vary.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used to tow a Ford Flex AWD and it was also a 65 mph restriction. I towed it 75 mph most of the time I had it on the interstate with no problems. The big thing is to be sure and service your transmission once a year if you do a lot of towing and to use a good quality synthetic transmission fluid. I asked my mechanic what difference would be between 65 mph and 75 how the transmission would know 10 mph difference. He said because the transmission fluid is not circulating via the pump when the motor runs that that would tend to make it run a little hotter possibly but that if I used a good synthetic fluid and was sure to start it any time I stopped and run it through the gears to circulate that fluid I would be fine. I pulled that Flex for three years with absolutely no trouble but like I said be sure and service the transmission every year if you do a lot of towing. It really boils down to maintenance and most people never think to service their transmission. The manufactures have to make it work for everybody because not everybody will do the required maintenance to make the vehicle last.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have the 2012 CRV, The owners manual says not
to run over 65 MPH. I usually set the cruise on the MH for
60 and am quite happy at that speed. I am retired and
have no need to get anywhere fast.
Going downhill, the coach will gain speed but this is for
short periods.
I also stop at least every 1 1/2 hours, fire up the car and go
through all the gears. I let it run while doing a walk-around
and watering the dog. So far, this works for us.

The manual also says that if towing, the transmission oil should be
changed more often.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #6

It is CYA by the manufacturers. I don't know if the on board data/event loggers will document it, in the event you ever wind up in a warranty repair issue, but I actually doubt it, if your ignition is in the "off" position. If you tow with it in the "on" position, I don't know.

Ten MPH will probably cost you around one MPG, though, and doesn't buy you huge travel differences over the course of a day, so why not use the five or ten MPH to save some money and enjoy the scenery. Your car may or may not thank you for it.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #7

I think you will find many towed cars have a 65 mph limit. I know my Chevy Sonic does. Can you exceed it? Yes but I would not make a habit of it.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Start it and run it every few hours to circulate the fluid via the tranny pump and you will be fine.

As far as true PAO synthetic fluids go? they deal with the heat much better than dino trans fluid does.

Honda Trans fluid is some pretty trick stuff and millions of dollars have been spent at the factory level in the development of it and is pao synthetic based.

Also Honda uses some proprietary friction modifiers for the clutches... and just one one of the many reasons is to protect the bonding agents used to bond the friction materials to the clutch plates. Honda keeps those secret 11 herbs and spices formula used in their fluids very close to the cuff.

Happy Hunting
Old 07-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, me manual says max 65!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #10

What are the tires speed rated for on your rig? 65 is about where mine likes to run so why bother
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #11

I make trips through Idaho & Montana often. 70/80 speed limits. Try holding 60 or 65 there and you soon will have a train of cars and trucks risking their lives to pass you. Turn outs are great but there's never enough of them. I've seen wrecks that look like a seen from the movie Mad Max. I don't want to be in one of those. I found it better to stay with the flow if you have the ability to do so. I've been pulling my old Silverado for years at 70mph, but it time for a change. I've heard and read good things about Honda CRV's, but I'm just a little concerned about running for long periods of time at 70.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I believe the last year flat towable is 2014 for the CRV.

I drive Idaho and Montana quite a bit and do not have problems with
driving 60. I keep a watch for vehicle coming up behind and start looking for a spot where they can pass. I would rather they pass me than start taking chances
on "maybe spots".
Driving through cities I keep up with the flow.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
I believe the last year flat towable is 2014 for the CRV.
Yup! I guess my 2013 CR-V is my last Honda unless they change something or approve it for flat towing. The new CVT Tranny cannot be towed.

I travel at 65 mph. That is the sweet spot for mileage on my MH anyway.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm with Randyman1 on this. Without the pump moving oil to the cooler heat will build up with speed and time. How fast for how long? Who knows.

One thing with Honda transmissions, stick with Honda oil and do a drain/fill yearly. Measure what you drain and add the same amount of new. Usually about 3 quarts. Takes me 10 minutes in the driveway each spring.

And yes, I've exceeded the 65 MPH limit with my 2005 AWD CR-V, multiple times and for more than a few minutes or miles. Still going strong with 140,000 miles on it.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad