Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
The white smoke can be the two things that Steve mentiond, also diesel's will show a "vapor trail" when they are not fully warmed up, and it is very cold out!
Why I ask how cold is it outside in a earlier post? Albuquerque is not that cold this time of year for that tho?>>

* It's about 58 degrees out at the moment. It has been somewhat chilly in the evening, with days temperate to on the warm side.

I would make sure you have no oil in your antifreeze, ( oil will be on the top ) and your oil is not "milky" looking, or foamy! ( antifreeze in the oil )
The Cummins shop should have checked this, but as long as no codes were thrown, they might have not! A leaking head gasket can cause this.

* We're thinking more and more that this new engine has developed a serious issue. If I were superstitious at this point, I'd be thinking this coach was cursed. Honestly.

Antifreeze leaking into the combustion chamber can cause the white'ish exhaust also as Steve pointed out!

* We need to examine this antifreeze issue. We also need to get a new butterfly key, as this coach didn't have one.

Keep a very close eye on your oil and antifreeze/coolant levels, and get the exhaust fixed, and see how this goes, but the white smoke issue, is telling you something, and if it continues, i would take it back to Cummins, and take the mechanic for a ride, so he can see for himself! White smoke out the exhaust is not normal! Rail!
* I completely agree. I have to say that the Cummins Pacific/Ventura people are amazing; here in ABQ, the "I couldn't care less" vibe is severe, and they seem a lot more concerned with how much they can charge us for than actually solving the problem. Frankly, we're not convinced they even did the "diagnostic" they charged us for; in the morning, we're going to ask to see the report. Should have done that before we left, but they were literally closing the door on us.

Tomorrow we'll know more...thanks for the feedback and help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The usual cause of white smoke in a diesel is raw, unburned diesel coming through the exhaust or water/coolant getting into the combustion chamber. Since this is a new engine, you should lean on the installing shop to run this down while your warranty is good.
Completely agree with you.

If the engine has developed a serious issue already, such as a bad head gasket, I'm wondering how hard Cummins will wiggle around, trying to get out of replacing it--again. Especially since they're going to have an impossible time finding a reason to blame anything we've done on the problem; we treat this engine like it's plated in solid gold and have since it was installed. I'm pretty disappointed all the way around, all things considered.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"We need to examine this antifreeze issue. We also need to get a new

"butterfly key", as this coach didn't have one."

OK, i have to ask, what is a "butterfly key"?? Rail!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:51 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
"We need to examine this antifreeze issue. We also need to get a new

"butterfly key", as this coach didn't have one."

OK, i have to ask, what is a "butterfly key"?? Rail!
Same as a barrel key; for the back, left-rear compartment.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:51 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Can you reproduce the smoke issue while in park and accelerating the engine? If so have someone rev. up the motor while you smell the smoke, would be one of 2 things, 1 water (anti-freeze)smell,2 diesel smell. A bad injector could be over fueling and cause the diesel smell. A leaking head gasket could cause the issue too. The puffing makes me think it is an injector. but that is just a guess based on your info..
Sounds like you did the right thing turning around and waiting for the shop to open up tomorrow.
If you are mechanically inclined check the ground wire on that tail light, it sounds like it (the brake circuit } is grounding thru the tail light circuit, and when you turn on the headlights which in turn powers the tail light it cancels the ground source because the original ground is lost.. Had it happen many times on older trucks..Usually corrosion is the culprit...
If you are running 15-40 engine oil or close to that, the engine oil pressure you are seeing would actually be fairly normal for cold oil in a new engine. (most engines take up to 15 - 20 minutes at road speed to fully heat up) Just my opinion of course...Doug.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingrv View Post
Same as a barrel key; for the back, left-rear compartment.
OK, i never heard it called that before!
I have the same on my battery compartment, and my motor hatch on the back of "Mona"! Rail!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
FINAL (NEW MEXICO) UPDATE:

Okay, Cummins replaced the oil pressure sender; they used one that is more or less incompatible, causing the gauge to essentially become just another part of the "entertainment center" that is our dash system. We read elsewhere on IRV2 that this is a known issue, as the original sender is not available. We tried explaining this to them; deaf ears.

We spoke to Cummins Ventura, who did our engine install, they said as long as it more or less reads normally under certain conditions, they'll fix it when we get back.

One problem down.

The next problem was the smoking and check engine light. We check our coolant often, but not as often as we do our oil, which is basically each time before travel. The last time we did, a week or two ago at most, it was fine. This time, they said it was a half-gallon low, which most of you know, is nothing to speak of. HOWEVER...it was *just* low enough to trigger the sensor, which was triggering the check engine light and causing another issue resulting in some smoke.

Or so they're saying. Ventura says, "New engine, there should NO smoking at all." We agree with this, as we drove across the country then 3/4 of the way back with ZERO smoking issues and under 6,000 miles.

Ventura made them write it up as fine to drive with minimal smoke at acceleration and no warning lights, etc., so we're headed back to California. Something goes wrong, we're covered, since they put it in writing.

At the end of the day, I'm not at all comfortable driving over 800 miles with "slight smoke at acceleration" and I'm not happy with the overall attitude or service at the Cummins facility in NM.

If you're in ABQ, beware this location...seriously. They are much, much more concerned with charging you at every turn ("two separate 'diagnostic fees' in the HUNDREDS of dollars, back to back, anyone?") than they are in making sure your coach is safe to drive. If our "home" Cummins facility hadn't intervened, more than once, I suspect we'd have been charged upwards of $700 in "fees" before the problem was even solved. I could go on, but I won't; I think you get the idea.

So we're off in the morning. Here's to hoping nothing goes wrong before we can get her (our coach) back to Ventura....
Old 03-17-2017, 06:37 AM   #22

Well its a little after 7:30 am here in Tx so you guys may still be sleeping or maybe
sipping coffee .
I for one am glad you seem to have at least been made ok to travel and I'm sure
I speak for all others on here as well .
While I feel for you guys living through your very trying ordeals on the other hand it
has been somewhat entertaining for us on the sidelines .
We have also learned along with you
Its to bad the Cummins in NM was not very sympathetic and helpful , who know why
people react the way they do
Past experiences with RVers , greed , or what ever ?
Anyway good luck getting home and keep us posted .

Ray
Old 03-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=RamiDav;3505189]While I feel for you guys living through your very trying ordeals on the other hand it
has been somewhat entertaining for us on the sidelines .>>

* Well, I'm not sure I'd use the word "entertaining" to describe the misfortune we've encountered--or the misfortune that affects other RV'ers in similar circumstances. But I do appreciate your good wishes for us overall.

We have also learned along with you

* If what we've experienced has helped anyone else, even in a small way, that makes us feel a bit better. We've certainly been helped enormously by these forums and the experiences of others with their own coaches.

Anyway good luck getting home and keep us posted .

* Thank you. Best of luck to you out on the road as well.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, and a previous owner of many ford diesels that had some stories about water in the oil from the engine malfunctions...

black smoke is usually an indicator of unbutnet fuel either from too much fuel or too little air to burn that fuel... If needed could always drop our tuned diesel into second gear and floor it to start out and smoke out a bad driver (only if needed )

White smoke is usually an indication of water/coolant in the combustion chamber... sorry to say this, but my opinion is a bad installation - was it a complete engine or jusat a refurbished block ?

best of luck to you... and I feel for you... it's stops being fun at some point !
Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=JohnBoyToo;3507251]IMHO, and a previous owner of many ford diesels that had some stories about water in the oil from the engine malfunctions...>

* No black smoke at all. This is white smoke only.

White smoke is usually an indication of water/coolant in the combustion chamber... sorry to say this, but my opinion is a bad installation - was it a complete engine or jusat a refurbished block ?

* I think it's quite a jump to say it's a bad installation. We are close to completing a nearly 3,400 trip, with no issues whatsoever over the past 10 1/2 months. Besides that, we know *everyone* involved in the installation very, very well; they're Cummins, but they're also, to an extent, like extended family to us. I feel 100% confident in saying it is not a "bad install", not because of our connection to them, but because their reputation as a shop is among the highest in the Cummins organization.

As for the last part of your question, it is a new Cummins engine, not just a block.

<best of luck to you... and I feel for you... it's stops being fun at some point>

Thank you. I can tell you that the issues with this coach were *never* fun, unfortunately, not even for a moment. Whatever this issue is, though, we're confident Cummins will find it. Just not in ABQ...
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Ok,
not trying to disparage anyone, especially someone I don't know, but in trouble shooting your first two questions should be:
1) when did it start?
2) what changed just before that
(that ole' cause and effect thingy)

I guess I missed the part where you said it was a long time between engine and issue - thought I read engine, then issue... so I'll go back to reading class
Old 04-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
FINAL UPDATE - Smoke Issue

After making it back to Ventura successfully, the engine has been fully checked-out by Cummins. This is the final "report", if you will:

The smoking was initially caused by a combination of several factors.

1. Low coolant JUST low enough (but not necessarily at a "fill" level, believe it or not) to trigger the sensor and kick out a Check Engine light when the coach is at an angle. We did not know this, but confirmed with Cummins that this messes with the engine chemistry and can result in some smoking.

The smoking was exacerbated by:

2. The need for an oil change. The engine was new, but we have actually driven more miles than we thought and it's time for the oil to be changed. That's scheduled for this week. "Black" oil in need of a change can result in smoking, per Cummins.

3. Boost seal ring. Ours was leaking. That can also contribute to a small amount of smoking, although how, we never exactly got a clear answer on. Replaced by Cummins under the new engine warranty.

So together, these three issues worked to generate a fair amount of smoke for a bit of time. Two are fixed, smoke is almost non-existent at all times except acceleration, and even that is very, very faint. The oil change should finish it up.

The ECM report shows that we have "abused" the engine .0005 percent of the time; or as Cummins put it, "not at all; in fact, you've clearly babied it." We were told the average coach brought in has between 9 and 30 HOURS of abuse time, sometimes more. Considering we just completed a cross-continental trip from one end of the U.S. to the other, including a full circuit of Florida, we're kind of proud of that.

The ECM report also told us that we've averaged 7.9 mpg towing a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. That, to me, seems pretty decent, especially with all the mountains we crossed coming back across the country.

Our coach may be old, and she may have been mistreated by others in the past, but she's ours We're more or less decided, given how much we like about our coach, to start a full restoration. Finally, after almost two years, ownership and full-timing is actually starting to feel like fun.

Many thanks to everyone who kicked in with advice, opinions, etc. We truly appreciate it, and always will. Hopefully our experience as chronicled here and elsewhere will be of some help to others!
Old 04-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #28

What factors into the "abuse" rating?

Tags
cummins