RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cummins Diesel and Allison Trans service needed in Houston

Hi all, new owner of 1999 Diplomat in need of recommendations for reliable, HONEST, diesel and transmission repair in the Houston area. No specific problems but wanted to have everything checked out before taking an long road trips. Single lady, not mechanical at all...but learning daily and would prefer to NOT break down if I can avoid it OR get conned by a shady repair shop. (Wouldnt be the first time. Lol ) The struggle is REAL! Any recommendations would be appreciated! I checked a couple of forums and had no luck finding what I needed. Thanks! Pinky

Pinky1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

Pinky -

Welcome the forum! I've had good service from RV Masters located on Bingle Road north of I-10 for coach and engine service --> https://www.rvmastersinc.com/ Fortunately I have not had any transmission problems but would take my motorhome to RV Masters if I did have problems.

RV Masters performs a detailed inspection of a motorhome before doing any work to identify potential problems the owner may have missed.

Also, I had good service from Cummins Coach Care located at the Cummins Service Center on the northeast "corner" of Loop 610 --> https://code.metalocator.com/index.p...35&Itemid=8836. They did good work repairing a coolant in Onan generator and did good work with a 12 month engine oil & filters service. Cummins Coach Care should be a good choice for engine and transmission work.

fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you so much for your recommendation. I'll give them a call to schedule! Pinky
Old 08-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #4

Texas RV in Cypress Texas RV and Car Care Home replaced my cracked exhaust manifold at a quite reasonable price plus did some maintenance work. They do a lot of checkout/maintenance for local rv dealers. They can provide 30A power but no sewer hookup. When it all shook out they weren't any cheaper than Cummins but tremendously more convenient.

Farther to the east Action RV in Conroe has done good work on several occasions. Monaco Coach Repair RV Service/Warranty Work|Recreation Vehicle Service||Houston, Texas|Action RV

Generally speaking, though, you should take engine service to the engine builder or distributor shop and transmission service to the the transmission builder or distributor shop. Allison is:

Stewart & Stevenson Power Products, LLC
ALLISON DISTRIBUTOR BRANCH
8631 East Freeway
Houston, TX 77029
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you very much for your recommendations. The Conroe location you mentioned sure is tempting. I'll check their website. I agree with you about getting the service from the manufacturer...ie Cummins and Stewart and Stevenson and that was my original plan. I'm a full timer and work from home so I'll have to be strategic about getting all these things checked out. I assumed the Cummins mechanics could check out the transmission but I guess that's not necessarily the case. I haven't noticed any problems except with transmission. The last park I was in for 30 days, I put her in drive and she went NOWHERE. Very hard shift into drive..rpms way too high before jerking hard into drive. I guess my 1st stop will be Stewart and Stevenson. Thanks again for the information. Much appreciated. Pinky
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #6

I think all Cummins would do is check or change the transmission fluid and filters, so go to the transmission shop first. They can connect a computer to the transmission and tell you what's what.

Get your wallet all warmed up!
Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
You should probably check the Allison Transmission fluid level before driving it. You can do this from sitting in the drivers seat. The only trick is getting it warmed up enough. Put it in Park, and hold down the transmission shift up and down arrows simultaneously. It will start a 2 min countdown, and then display the oil level.
https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/transm...fluidcheck.php

Hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky1960 View Post
Hi all, new owner of 1999 Diplomat in need of recommendations for reliable, HONEST, diesel and transmission repair in the Houston area. No specific problems but wanted to have everything checked out before taking an long road trips. Single lady, not mechanical at all...but learning daily and would prefer to NOT break down if I can avoid it OR get conned by a shady repair shop. (Wouldnt be the first time. Lol ) The struggle is REAL! Any recommendations would be appreciated! I checked a couple of forums and had no luck finding what I needed. Thanks! Pinky
I've had good luck with the Cumins repair facility on 610 loop.

I've also used the Freightline place on 610, and would NOT recommend them. They backed my mh into something and crushed the corner in and didnt say anything about it. When I did a walk around before leaving, I discovered the damage. Talked to the owner about it and his response was "s##t happens". No help in getting it repaired, either.

Randy
RPrince is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #9

Allison Trans help

https://allisontransmission.com/

get you serial no from ID plate on passenger side of trans. or in your packet of manuals with coach. Be sure to use correct oil. it's expensive $ per gal. this web page give lots of helpful info.

more knowledge the better. good luck, Lloyd T
Old 08-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks again for the ideas and recommendations. FYI...my wallet is already warmed up and starting to flame! Lol
Old 08-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to all that have responded. You have no idea how helpful it is to hear your advise and troubleshooting ideas. I called one of the recommended shops, they said my hard shift into drive is more than likely due to age of it my coach and sitting for 30 days...told me brakes stick or lock up. Honestly that's exactly what if felt like when it happened. Trans was trying to shift but felt like I was tied to a concrete wall. He said only thing you can do is rev the rpms up until it moves. Other than that haven't noticed any shifting problems...I'm not sure that I would notice at this point. Anyway...the shop said 6-10 business days to evaluate the rig, repairs are 4-6weeks out. Not gonna happen for me. He recommended an individual that does mobile service in this area. That may be an option. Does the "stuck brakes" sound like a reasonable cause? I'm still going to check the fluids etc...as soon as find where the transmission is located...under the bed I think. Ha
Old 08-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #12

It's certainly possible to have brakes rusted shut. I've never had it in six months parked in Florida several times and a year and a half parked at Washington, TX, but that's just me.

Does it shift, as in actually indicating "1" but you don't move or does it simply not shift, not indicating anything?

I wouldn't go to anyone other than the distributor, Stewart and Stevenson. If you're heading east go to W.W. Williams when you're in their territory.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #13

It sounds like it could have been the parking brake stuck. Has happened to me at least 3 times. If it happens again it seems to unstick in reverse a little easier than in drive but either way you will have to give enough throttle to break it loose. It will release with a loud pop or clunk. It doesn't have to be parked for long periods for it to happen.
rte154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:07 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
It's certainly possible to have brakes rusted shut. I've never had it in six months parked in Florida several times and a year and a half parked at Washington, TX, but that's just me.

Does it shift, as in actually indicating "1" but you don't move or does it simply not shift, not indicating anything?

I wouldn't go to anyone other than the distributor, Stewart and Stevenson. If you're heading east go to W.W. Williams when you're in their territory.
Yes, once it jerked forward while in Drive there was no further problems with shifting that day. The person parked near me that helped that day also mentioned backing up would have worked better to "unlock" the brakes. I saw someone elses comment to try that next time and I will do that. Problem was I had backed my rig into the spot too close to a 8 foot wood fence and had no room to even try Reverse. Another lesson learned.

Tags
allison, cummins, diesel, service