Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 02:47 AM   #1

Dash A/C compressor clutch not engaging

The dash A/C is is not cooling on our ‘04 Safari Cheetah. Blower works fine, just not cold. Checked all fuses & relays, and getting power from A/C-heater control switch. Full of freon, compressor turns ok (manually), so it appears to be ok, but the clutch is not engaging! We are simply running the ginny so we can turn on the roof a/c’s. Anyone experienced this?
Maddog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 03:07 AM   #2

You could test the clutch by applying 12 volts directly from the battery to the clutch with ignition switch off. If the clutch does not engage it may be defective.
Old 08-12-2018, 03:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Check the high and low pressure controls. Round black pressure switches, the low is on the suction line normally close to the accumulator and should have two wires. If refrigerant is empty or low it shuts off the compressor. The high control is on the discharge line normally close to the condenser. It has two wires also and shuts off the compressor if the pressures get too high. They do go bad. You can temporarily jump them to test but don't leave them that way. Are you sure the refrigerant charge is okay?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #4

There is usually one other switch in the circuit. It is a capillary thermostat. A switch with a thin soft copper tube running into the evaporator housing. Normally has 2 wires. Check for continuity or you can touch the 2 wires together temporarily.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I delete the freeze sensor in the picture above from system by plugging the two wires into a 15A fuse making the compressor run all of the time. Yes, in the East the evaporator will freeze up after 4-5 hours *6-8 hours out West) but you get 100 % cooling until the air flow starts to decrease at which point I put it on fan (still get cool air as the ice melts) and after 10-15 minutes I go back to AC for the rest of the day so I rarely have to run my generator.

OP, I would put in a fuse as above and then check for 12V on both wires of the Hi and Low switches. Low freon is the most common cause of not compressor.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #6

On the 2008 Knight there are 2 separate fuses and relays for the A/C
1 fuse for the compressor 1 fuse for the control circuit that engages the clutch
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplewide View Post
You could test the clutch by applying 12 volts directly from the battery to the clutch with ignition switch off. If the clutch does not engage it may be defective.
Thanks Triplewide!!
Old 08-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Check the high and low pressure controls. Round black pressure switches, the low is on the suction line normally close to the accumulator and should have two wires. If refrigerant is empty or low it shuts off the compressor. The high control is on the discharge line normally close to the condenser. It has two wires also and shuts off the compressor if the pressures get too high. They do go bad. You can temporarily jump them to test but don't leave them that way. Are you sure the refrigerant charge is okay?
Thank you Robert.........I’ll certainly try your suggestions!!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
There is usually one other switch in the circuit. It is a capillary thermostat. A switch with a thin soft copper tube running into the evaporator housing. Normally has 2 wires. Check for continuity or you can touch the 2 wires together temporarily.
Thank you Bruce.......I’ll try your suggestions!!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
I delete the freeze sensor in the picture above from system by plugging the two wires into a 15A fuse making the compressor run all of the time. Yes, in the East the evaporator will freeze up after 4-5 hours *6-8 hours out West) but you get 100 % cooling until the air flow starts to decrease at which point I put it on fan (still get cool air as the ice melts) and after 10-15 minutes I go back to AC for the rest of the day so I rarely have to run my generator.

OP, I would put in a fuse as above and then check for 12V on both wires of the Hi and Low switches. Low freon is the most common cause of not compressor.
Thank you “Ivylog”!j. Great suggestion!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechevy View Post
On the 2008 Knight there are 2 separate fuses and relays for the A/C
1 fuse for the compressor 1 fuse for the control circuit that engages the clutch
Thanks Doublechevy for the information. Are both of the circuits located in the fuse/relay compartment in the left front compartment?? I found a 20amp fuse and a relay in that area. Utilizing a test light, it appears I have completed circuitry through both of those.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #12

Maddog, check the one and only wire going to the compressor. Mine had a bad connection where the wire was crimped to the spade at the compressor . I found it by wigglying the wire with the engine and a/c running and the clutch engaged. JOY!!!
peterdube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

I second PETERDUBE's reply. I had the same problem
traveler999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #14

there are 2 fuses in the front control panel 1 is 30A for compressor the other is 20A for control circuit to clutch. look at the back of the control panel for fuse and relay listings
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, dash