RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM   #1

Dash Blower Motor

I am the owner of a 2004 Monaco Dynasty 42 foot tab axle. My dash motor blower for ac and heat stopped working. Trying to figure out how you get to blower motor to replace?

Mjackson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjackson42 View Post
I am the owner of a 2004 Monaco Dynasty 42 foot tab axle. My dash motor blower for ac and heat stopped working. Trying to figure out how you get to blower motor to replace?

I have no idea...... with that said and service accessibility (or lack thereof) to many coach HVAC blower motors, I would be looking at a wiring diagram and making sure you have proper power and ground distribution and also make sure that the blower relay, blower switch, and blower motor resistor are functioning properly.

Blower motor resistors are a very common failure in all vehicles, including coaches.

Happy Trails

Old 08-15-2019, 07:29 AM   #3

Good morning, "M". We have an '06 Dynasty, 42', and suspect they may be similar. On our coach, it isn't pretty! I started into it, and and gave up. On our coach, the fan motor is behind the firewall and in front of the upholstered panel above the entry steps.

On our unit, that upholstered paneled section goes straight in from the door, maybe a couple of feet, then it curves left back into the cabin area, and then curves right again leaving the last eight or ten inches straight again, until it hits the center console. The reason for that "blister" is to provide room for the fan motor!!! I pulled out the map drawer and the center console drawer, and found access to some screws. There are also screws in the defrost vent ducts that you access by removing the long grills on top of the dash. The screws weren't in an organized pattern. You can only imagine how they inserted blocks and braces to transition from the inside of the fiberglass of the front cap to the nice, pretty upholstered structures that you see. It was cobbed together, to say the least, but it was done well so that the dash is extremely solid, in place. I was finally able to raise the right end of the dash top about 3", and to get a picture or two of the fan motor, itself. I would have had to have gone MUCH further to actually access the fan and get it out and back in!

I did this, because when I ran the dash heat on the way south for the winter, it was cold, and the fan started squawking, some. I had quite a bit of free time, for a bit, and thought I'd pull it and replace it. Two things happened. One, I saw the enormous magnitude of the project and bailed out before I really trashed something. Two, the fan quit squawking, and that was a couple of years ago! KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!

I honestly think that if I do wind up needing to finally replace it at a later time, I will first visit a really good upholstery shop that does custom work, and see if they think that they could make an opening in the existing panel above the stairs, and make a cover that would match, that could be installed with the nice button covers that match the others on the dash system. If that could be done, access could be established that could look like it was built that way, originally. A second upholstery option might be if that upholstered panel could be removed, as is, or even a new one created, and then perhaps modified to allow it to be readily be removed for access, as needed. Structurally, it needs integrity, as it is the support for the entry assist bar, and needs to be able to handle a lot of pulling force, from time to time.

RobRoy is right. It is likely that the problem is elsewhere than the motor. If its the motor, it is definitely not pretty!! If it is otherwise, it's not too hard to repair. I pray that is the case, for you!! I'm attaching the schematic for the dash HVAC system control, in case it is applicable to your coach, as well.

PLEEEZE!!! Keep us all posted!!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Schematic - Dash HVAC Control.pdf (114.2 KB, 4 views)
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

Mine actually started making a ton of noise and then quit. I have the plate that holds the radio out, but nothing to see there. Thanks for answering!
Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing the blower motor is not an easy task or for the faint of heart.

I have not had to do it on my 2002 Windsor but another owner posted a detailed write-up on what he had to do. He was able to determine the location of the screws that attach the front to the top of the dash. He then used a right angle drill with hole saw to drill ~5 holes on the underside of the dash to provide access to remove the screws (along with other screws) he was able to remove the lower portion of the dash to access the blower motor. When he was done he covered the holes he drilled with a piece of trip.

Good luck and keep us posted.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #6

You know the dash panel just above the passengers feet ?? its behind there .

It is such a daunting task that many people just cut a square section out
of that panel to gain access .

Later they cover the hole with a wooden magazine rack or some other
decorative thing .

If I ever need to replace mine that is what I will do .
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I managed to find the blower motor and replace. The motor was found at Advance Auto. But, seems the relay or resister is burned out. I hooked 12V to new blower and works fine, but when I turn on the low to high knob nothing. Anyone know where the resister might be found? Please don't say near the blower motor. It was not fun opening up and taking out!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:54 PM   #8

I removed my blower motor and I was able to fix it. It is a time consuming job and no
fun. My resister is on the fire wall gotten by pushing the generator out.
oldguy70 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjackson42 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I managed to find the blower motor and replace. The motor was found at Advance Auto. But, seems the relay or resister is burned out. I hooked 12V to new blower and works fine, but when I turn on the low to high knob nothing. Anyone know where the resister might be found? Please don't say near the blower motor. It was not fun opening up and taking out!

I do not ...but the bright side is that you will see 3-4 wires running to it and that should make it a bit simpler to locate.

That said, in most cases (if not all) the blower motor resistor is located in the ductwork of the HVAC itself and is usually near the blower motor so that the air from the blower motor can keep it cool.( FYI it gets red hot like a toaster) But in most cases it's accessable from outside the ductwork.

Happy Hunting
Old 08-16-2019, 07:15 AM   #10

It should be maybe 1 " by 2 " and, like RobRoy said, have 3 or 4 wires attached to it. It will probably be pretty much flush mounted on the non-metallic shroud in the upper passenger side area of your front area above the generator. There is an opening there, so that the resistors can live in the cooling air stream of the dash HVAC flow. Two screws will get it out, and it's easy to replace, especially if you happen to have two elbows on at least one of your arms.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #11

2004 Dynasty Dash Blower R&R

2004 Monaco Dynasty
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #12

Wow, Burgy! That's pretty much what I found on our '06. I had not yet tumbled to the fact that the door trim had to come off, as well. Anyway, when it got to the point of having to remove the console, and I could see that much more including the AquaHot was involved, I backed out of the project and put what I had torn apart back together. I, too, documented my steps for future reference. As I mentioned earlier, the squawking stopped, shortly after it started. Knock on wood!! I know these things don't fix themselves, so it will come up again. Thank you for your great documentation of your project. Wow!

Heater fans just aren't fun!!! When I saw your picture that included the passenger side console being involved, it reminded me of the heater fan R&R on my '67 Camaro, decades ago. I looked at the guide from GM, and their documented first step was removal of the right headlight assembly!!! In other words, like in your coach, lots had to come off before one ever even got a glimpse of the heater fan assembly, itself!
Old 08-17-2019, 07:17 AM   #13

I think when these motorhomes are built, they hang the heater fan from the ceiling, by a rope, and then they build the coach around it!!! Oh, yes, they also put the AquaHot on a box in the middle of the floor. They actually start there, and then build the coaches around both of these devices!
Old 08-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
When mine failed it was the fan speed control switch on the dash. The resister on the air box by the genny fails on default (high speed). You can remove the dash switch by reaching in and take off the small screw (I think its 1/4?) located at about 11 oclock (from the front) then remove the knob and pull switch. My connector was melted on the back of the switch. Its a cheap design for the load it carries. I think its a 1998 gmc or ford switch. Napa has the direct replacement as well as the new pig tail if needed.

Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash