Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #1

Dash lights, running lights and brake lights are intermittent!

On my 2003 Signature does anyone know why when turning on the lights after 5-15 minutes the dash lights, running lights and tail lights go out? After a long time they will come on again and sooner if the coach is shut down. They simply are intermittent and unreliable. My first thought is there is some relay heating up and turning them off but why not the headlights too? Has anybody had this happen????
flyr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 10:05 AM   #2

Good morning Flyr4u; I would start with the electrical compartment under the drivers seat outside. If you have the owners manual, in the chassis section should give locations for dash lights and etc. The components you have listed could be on a automatic resetting circuit breaker. These breakers could be getting hot and disconnection the circuit and reconnecting when cooling off. Reason why could be a number of things. I notice on my Windsor in that outside compartment that corrosion can form on certain electrical connections. Might need new breakers as old ones have given up the ghost or you have lost a good ground somewhere in the system and that is causing resistance in the circuit and heating up the resettable breakers. These are just my thoughts and hope it gives you a place to start. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
In the front run by are two large solenoids. The power for most of the chassis electronics pass through one or the other on the way to the banks of fuses that protect the individual circuits. It sounds like one of those solenoids is beginning to fail.
If I'm right, you should find that the items that are not working are fused on one bank which is controlled by one solenoid.
My solenoids are White Rogers 70-111224-5. Any auto parts store has them. Walmart.com cost is about $20-ish with free shipping IIRC.
BTW, the same solenoid is used in the rear run box, left side, to fire the starter solenoid. I keep a spare since I've replaced all three.

HTH,
Old 05-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #4

I had a similar problem on my 01 Executive and discovered the connections where the brake lights/tail lights were wired together in the rear of coach had developed corrosion. I ultimately removed the tape wrapping and plastic protective cover from the wires and wiggled each connection to determined which wire was causing the problem. I re-spliced each connection with heat shrink wrap connectors to prevent moisture in the future. It was causing my dash lights, running lights, brake lights, turn signals, tail lights etc. to intermittently work. I would also suggest checking all rear bulbs for good connection and possible corrosion. This too can cause similar problems.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #5

I will share a bit of info that might help someone in the future.

1999 Monaco Signature: Doing a pre-trip for the weekend and no tail lamps and lower markers on the back half. Front park and markers, and upper rear markers are ON.

After almost a full day of tracing wires and checking circuits, I discovered my problem.

The J3 connector, located in the dash, forward of the steering wheel, circuit and pin #7, has at some time run hot and melted a bit of the bakealite. I cleaned the pin and socket up and problem is solved. If any trouble in the future, I will just bypass the J3 connector.
Make sure you J3 connector is seated completely.

Dave
1999 Monaco Signature SSSD
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #6

Correction

On the above post, the Marker Lites is pin #4, not pin #7.

"The J3 connector, located in the dash, forward of the steering wheel, circuit and pin #7, has at some time run hot and melted a bit of the bakealite. I cleaned the pin and socket up and problem is solved. If any trouble in the future, I will just bypass the J3 connector.
Make sure you J3 connector is seated completely."

Dave
1999 Monaco Signature SSSD[/QUOTE]
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I would start simple first. Try wiggling your headlight switch in/out. They are notorious for going bad.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #8

Solution

Problem solved.
I went into the electronics bay outside below the drivers window and started moving wires around with the lights turned on and currently not working. As I moved the large wire cluster zip tied together it temporarily turned them back on. Further movement and tracing found a bad ground connection to the ground bar coming from the lights relay. Once the wire was cut, re-stripped and correctly attached to ground bar there were no longer any problems. Thanks for everyones input.
flyr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Good Job! Thanks for posting the solution.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brake lights, dash, light, lights