Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2017, 10:52 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dash Radio Replacement

So I cannot seem to get my factory installed radio to work. I have tried to ascertain if the "source selector" is bad or if the radio itself is bad, however I cannot seem to get any music to play through the coach speaker system (6 speakers). When I turn the radio on or off, an audible beeping can be heard through the speaker above the drivers seat, however I cannot seem to get any music to play when I have a CD in the radio. I'v tried bypassing the source selector, and still cannot get any music to play through the coach speakers.

So I believe it could be a bad radio. Either way, the radio is old technology that I wish to upgrade anyways so that I can get bluetooth hands free technology.

The question is this, I want AM/FM capability and only have 2 TV systems, so what is the best type system to go with? What have others done as far as audio upgrades? I'm trying to keep the system simple with average to above average sound quality.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Hi

I read this forum often and have never taken the time to respond to anything. Many folks offer great advice - others - well ???

We had the same problem with our radio. We have a 07 Monaco Diplomat. Over the past couple of years the radio ceased to work. The AM/FM was full of static, the SIRUS radio stopped working, and the DVD player also quit. In other words the old factory radio, because of age, was nothing but junk.

We had the old radio replaced by a local stereo shop that also handled RV's. The old radio was replaced with a Kenwood radio (sorry don't know the model number). The new Kenwood radio now works perfectly. The AM/FM is now clear, SIRUS works, and the DVD again functions (along with the coaches original surround system) perfectly. We were very happy with the replacement. Our total cost for replacement was a tad over $600. We only wish we had replaced the old piece of junk earlier with newer technology.

Good luck in your decision.
gregorys50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Kenwood INfor

Any chance you could take a picture of the Kenwood Unit so I could research the model #?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Mine had a 1.5 DIN sized Sony radio. It was horrible. I took the dash apart and used a Dremel tool to open it to a double-DIN size, which is much easier to find. Since all I cared about was SiriusXM, I did not spend much on the new radio since I was spending a lot on upgrades elsewhere in the RV. I paid a whopping $68 on the new radio. I use a "Dockable" SiriusXM radio, so that I can take it from RV, to truck, to Jeep, to poolside, etc., and only pay one subscription fee. It's on a little mount next to the radio. Oh, and it's bluetooth, so when I am using my phone for Google Maps, the map will interrupt the music to make my traffic/direction announcements.

I would like to upgrade the stereo someday, but honestly as long as I have tunes while driving, I'm not too worried about it. It was cheap and it works great.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the OEM radio in our Windsor and have thought about replacing the one on our Executive. The first place to start is to determine the size of the head unit. Most are DIN (7"x2"), but some with large displays are double DIN (7"x4"). You can even get a DIN size radio that has a large display that extends out.

Then I go to the Crutchfield.com web site and sift through the units available to learn about options and pricing. Bluetooth is a must, Sirius is nice, and some folks like a built in GPS and ipod interface. In most motorhomes you want to be able to "fade" the sound to just the forward speakers if someone is resting in the rear section. You also need to be careful as some rear camera systems are connected to the radio display, so you will need to be able to connect the camera.

If you have an existing CD changer you want to retain, the selection can get more complicated as you will need to stay with that brand of radio. Even with the same brand, you need to make sure your older CD changer will function with the newer radio.

Crutchfield has great support and even adapters so you don't have to cut wires. Let us know what you end up doing?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #6

Hey IceKing

I just went out to the RV barn and gathered up the paperwork. The radio we had placed in the coach was a Kenwood DDX593. It just happened to be the same size as the old piece of junk (Magna-something or other) and fit into the slot nicely. The new radio did have to have a trim piece placed around. The fit looks nice and as I said, we were very pleased.

Also the new radio has more functions on it that we were interested in. About the only function that I did not mention is used by us is the Bluetooth function for our iPhones. I kinda like that function.
gregorys50325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I have some kind of Pioneer unit in mine and all the audio in the coach goes through it--AM/FM, CD, iPod, Sirius/XM and TV/DVD. I had to make a custom bezel to fit it into the space in the dash.

Here's a link:

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car
Old 02-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think this one is actually the one I have.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...dfe1033be3.jpg
Old 02-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #9

Hello Iceking; I just replaced my old Sony AM/FM CD player in my 2001 Monaco Windsor. No sure what coach you have. I think the Sony I replaced was a CDX 5500. It is a 1 DIN radio. I replaced it with a Kenwood model# KDC-BT565U. Bought it at Best Buy for about $110. It is loaded with more features I will ever use. You should be able to look it up on the Best Buy web site. It was not a hard job to replace it on my Windsor. My radio is in the center of the dash with the heater and a/c controls. I just removed all the screws and pulled the plate out with the radio still in the dash plate. Lots of wire behind so you could get everything out to work on. I pulled the radio out thru back of the dash plate toward the front of the coach. I then removed the Sony DIN plate as the Kenwood comes with a new one. The Sony plug on the back will not match up to the Kenwood. The Kenwood comes with a newer, smaller plug than the Kenwood. The Sony plug was wired in at the factory to 3 separate plugs that go into the factory wiring. I thought this would be a problem at first. Upon closer examination, I found that the Monaco factory wiring is the same color code as the new plug for the Kenwood. I just cut the Sony plug off and spliced the new Kenwood plug into the Monaco harness. I then installed the new Kenwood DIN plate into the dash plate followed by the new radio. Hooked up all the plugs into the harness and everything worked. Attached the new faceplate and screwed the dash plate back in. Took me about 2 hours from start to finish. I like the new Kenwood. Have always had good luck with these units. I hope this info helps you with selection of some new TUNES. Just so you know, I tried to find an old Sony so I could just plug and play. No luck. All the old Sony's were gone, or parts only. Lots of faceplates for sale on the web. Hope this helps. Let us know what you wind up with.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My 2002 Windsor came with a Sony, the radio didn't work but the CD did. The coach has a remote pod in the bedroom that controls the radio. When my Sony died I really wanted to keep the use of the remote so I found the newest Sony model that allowed for the connection. Swapping them out was easy.

I did searches on different models and found the newest version that had the connector on the back and ended up buying a new in box discontinued model.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
Radio Replacement

IceKing, I have the same coach you do. It came with a Sony CDX1200. I replaced mine with an exact copy by going to E-bay.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceKing View Post
Any chance you could take a picture of the Kenwood Unit so I could research the model #?
I also replaced my OEM radio in our 2007 Diplomat with a Kenwood. I did need to enlarge the dash hole from 1.5 DIN to double-DIN, but there was room in the dash to do that. More information HERE with pictures and links.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Rob,
Did you try to connect your Aladdin and backup camera to the new Kenwood system?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
No. I could have done that, but I've always had a stand-alone monitor dedicated to the Aladdin on my 07 Dip. Here's a picture of it... (The camera data went to the original camera monitor.)

For the new Dip, I installed a VMS system from Silverleaf, and I do display that on the OEM dash entertainment head unit, as I do not use the Rand McNally GPS installed in that unit.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dash, radio, replace, replacement