Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Datron Satellite dish compatibility...

Datron DBS-3000-350

Another question about my 2002 Dynasty. Purchased it about 3 months ago. It came with a Sony Directv receiver. I had to purchase a new receiver due to the Sony not having the 12 digit number on the box anywhere. The only difference I see is the new one does not have a data port (looks similar to the phone connection) like the Sony. The dish points in the correct direction and appears to work correctly as far as pointing goes. When I turn on the tv it is in the setup mode, I pick the 18" round dish option. It then tries to verify the settings but always comes back with "no signal".

I did some googleing and saw something about that dish needing the data port to work. I would guess all the Monaco's of that era would have the same dish and hopefully someone here can shed some light. Directv's answer was to just buy a new dish. Not really in the budget right now.

Thank you

Brian
Boatdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Datron Needs The Low Speed Data Port

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdoctor View Post
Datron DBS-3000-350

Another question about my 2002 Dynasty. Purchased it about 3 months ago. It came with a Sony Directv receiver. I had to purchase a new receiver due to the Sony not having the 12 digit number on the box anywhere. The only difference I see is the new one does not have a data port (looks similar to the phone connection) like the Sony. The dish points in the correct direction and appears to work correctly as far as pointing goes. When I turn on the tv it is in the setup mode, I pick the 18" round dish option. It then tries to verify the settings but always comes back with "no signal".

I did some googleing and saw something about that dish needing the data port to work. I would guess all the Monaco's of that era would have the same dish and hopefully someone here can shed some light. Directv's answer was to just buy a new dish. Not really in the budget right now.

Thank you

Brian
Brian,

I went through the same scenario you are now experiencing.

The Datron does indeed need the low speed data port connected to the satellite receiver if it is to automatically find the desired satellite. I found two ways around this, apart from replacing the entire system.

First way was to replace the original Sony with a receiver or DVR that DirecTV would be happy with. I just took one from the house and hooked it up. As you probably have found there is a coax connecter on the back of the Datron and that should be cabled directly to the new receiver's "Satellite 1" coax connector.

Turn on the new receiver or DVR and it should go through some boot up sequence. They're a little different depending on the model of box. Where you want to be is having the box "looking for satellite" or an equivalent status.

Then, making sure the Datron thumb-wheels were set to the correct latitude, power on and set the Datron "Mode" switch to "View". The "Status" light should start blinking. The antenna should rise and start to make small azimuth and elevation movements in its search for a satellite. When it finds a satellite and locks on the "Status" light should stay on and no longer blink. If it's the correct satellite the receiver should give the TV some indication that it's getting a signal. If so you're good to go.

The receiver should start loading the program guide data and be available for use. Even if it's not activated by DirecTV there will be information on the TV screen like "call DirecTV to activate - Message 721" or some such. You can at this point go through the rest of the receiver set up if necessary. You can also turn the power off on the Datron. It has done its job in pointing the antenna and the signal is merely passed through the Datron to the receiver and power is not required to do that.

If the "Status" light goes on solid but the receiver does not get an intelligible signal you'll have to tell the Datron to move on to the next satellite. To do this momentarily rock the "Mode" switch from "View" to "Stow" for about a second and back to "View". The Datron will now direct the antenna to start its search again for the next satellite. As above, when the "Status" light goes on solid it has found a satellite and fed the satellite's signal to the receiver.

The process above works but can be very tedious. These days there are several satellites and it can take quite a while find and try multiple birds. Without the feedback via the low speed data port from the Sony receiver, the Datron does not know the difference between satellites whether they be DirecTV or some other service.

I tried the above arrangement for a time but it did not contribute to peace and harmony in the coach at the end of a day's travel. So we went to Plan B.

Fortunately I had not discarded the Sony receiver. So I put the equipment configuration back to original and verified that the Datron and Sony gear did indeed work together and could/would find the correct DirecTV satellite. They did. As mentioned above, you do not need an activated account/box to just receive the signal. You cannot view any subscriber content but they are continuously broadcasting ads and previews which will play on your TV if the receiver can get the satellite's signal.

Then I added a DirecTV-TiVo DVR to the mix using an "A-B Switch" purchased at Radio Shack. Now the coax that went from the Datron to the Sony box was connected to the common side of the "A-B Switch". A new coax went from the "A" side of the "A-B Switch" to the Sony box and another coax went from the "B" side of the "A-B Switch" to the "new" DVR "Satellite 1" input. The coax that originally went from the Sony box to the "Sat In" connector on the back of the distribution switch was moved to "Aux In" and the new DVR's "RF Out" coax was connected to "Sat In" on the distribution switch.

So now the process is "A-B Switch" to "A", "Primary TV" on distribution switch to "Aux", power on Datron, and "Mode" switch to "View". Datron finds correct satellite. "A-B Switch" to "B" and "Primary TV" on distribution switch to "Sat" and you are in business. Turn off the Datron and all TV's connected to the distribution switch should have access to the signal coming from your replacement DirecTV receiver or DVR.

There can be complications with newer equipment. We were on the road last spring when our old TiVo DVR bit the dust. Being near Los Angeles it was not hard to obtain a new DVR. Got the DVR to the coach and found that the new TiVo DVR did not have a coax output. Fortunately, we had just replaced the front TV with a new one and it had an HDMI input. So I just cabled directly from the new DVR to the front TV. The back TV did not work on satellite but that was not a big deal. We have an older TiVo DVR at home that is now used in the coach when traveling and it can be connected via the distribution switch to either or both TV's.

There's only one satellite feed so you can only record one live broadcast at a time while watching a previously recorded program. It's not HiDef but we don't care. As long as the programs can be prerecorded and watched at a convenient time we're happy.

HTH
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #3

Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put into your reply. I am going to give all your advice a try tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Brian
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

Watch Out For The Heat

Quote:
Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put into your reply. I am going to give all your advice a try tomorrow.

Thank you again!

Brian
Thanks for the kind words. I hope it works out for you.

One more thing I discovered in this scenario - adding yet another box to the coach entertainment infrastructure also added another source of heat. The comparment to the left of the front TV had just enough room to add a shelf and the new TiVo DVR. I'd thought about the heat but it was snowing when I installed it and headed for Arizona. All went well until one day on the return trip we were parked in a way that the sun beat down on the corner of the coach that housed the DVR. The heat fried the DVR. Since then I've spent more time and money messing around with fans that will move sufficient air without making too much noise, thus annoying DW, than I did installing the dual receiver configuration!

Good luck!
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
Old 12-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #5

I made a block diagram to help visualize the configuration.

FWIW
Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Thanks again WD!!!

Well unfortunately time was a problem for me this weekend. I started the diagnosis based on your first post. With the currently activated receiver hooked up, I set the satellite to view. This time, after 20 min. it never stopped searching and never locked on to a satellite.
Having to leave, frustration set in and had to abandon. With it not ever locking on to a satellite, it seems to present a whole new set of issues. When I posted my original question, it would lock on but no signal...... aaahhhh
Old 12-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #7

Sorry to hear it's still not working.

It's important that the two receivers not be co-mingled during operation. In other words, the whole system has to come up in the original Datron/Sony configuration and find the satellite before switching to the currently activated receiver. It's easy to overlook small details when configuring/reconfiguring something like this.

For example, the Sony receiver must be powered on when the Datron is switched to "View". That's because the receiver supplies power to the "LNB", that arm with a plastic puck-shaped object in front of the dish antenna. The data port cable needs to be plugged in on both ends. The dish antenna's view of the SSE sky must be clear. The Datron thumb wheels must be set to the coach's current latitude. "Status" light will stop blinking and go on solid when the Datron-Sony finds the correct satellite.

There's nothing special about which distribution box input is used for which receiver. The Sony was probably originally connected to "Satellite In" in which case the TV being used should have the "Sat" button pushed on the distribution box to receive the signal from the Sony receiver if no changes have been made. Just stay away from anything to do with the off-the-air, crank-up antenna. It uses power too and it's a different voltage than the satellite system's. The TV channel should match the Sony's output channel which I believe is 3 - at least it is on mine.

You may have to fiddle with the Sony receiver's remote to make sure that the Sony is up and wanting to find a signal. It's an RF remote which means that the little antenna must be plugged in to the receiver.

Bottom line is that you have to pretend that the old Sony receiver is the one you're going to bring the system up on and receive DirecTV's programming with. Until you get to the point where the DirecTV loop of previews and solicitations to activate the receiver is playing on your TV using only the original equipment in its original configuration, the currently activated receiver cannot be brought into the picture - so to speak. For testing purposes it's probably not a good idea to hook up the A-B switch until the original configuration's operation can be validated.

Once at this point the Datron and Sony should be powered off.

Feel free to post questions and I'll try to answer them. The grief-to-joy ratio was upside down for me too when I was trying to figure this thing out so I understand how this is can be frustrating.

FWIW
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

Again, thanks for the in depth help. Today is the first opportunity to test it again. Before purchasing the switch box I hooked up the original Sony box with all the original connections. After 30 minutes, the dish was still rotating searching for a satellite. I am beginning to wonder it the dish is faulty. A new dish is not in the budget so I hope not.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Datron no longer supports the consumer tracking dish. The dish will no longer function with the new Direct TV or Dish satellite configurations and no upgrades are available. Datron now makes only military equipment. I had to trash my unit. Do a Google search on Datron and you'll find a number of entries. The unit is no longer usable. I know it's a crappy deal, but it is what it is. I installed a second dish on my 03 Navigator and just left the old Datron in place to avoid leaks.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't believe that you will find any Datron units that are still working today.

Dave
2012 American Tradition 42P
Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Again, thanks for the in depth help. Today is the first opportunity to test it again. Before purchasing the switch box I hooked up the original Sony box with all the original connections. After 30 minutes, the dish was still rotating searching for a satellite. I am beginning to wonder it the dish is faulty. A new dish is not in the budget so I hope not.
Sorry to hear the satellite TV is still not behaving well. At this point, without being able to see what the system is doing, it's difficult to offer suggestions.

Is there anything on the TV at all? Something like "searching for satellite"? You need to verify that the Sony IRD and the TV can talk to get some kind of feedback on what the Datron/Sony configuration is up to.

My coach is buttoned up so I'm going on memory which is often not reliable, being of advanced years and afflicted with CRS.

If worse comes to worse, come to Quartzsite in the third week of January and if it can be made to work we will make it so. If the system components are not electronically broken the configuration in the block diagram above will work. It's how we watch TV and it works fine.

FWIW

Tags
dish, satellite