Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sixpack98:
I confirmed that I do have DRL. Was a little surprised. With the ignition on I pushed the intermittent button on the smart wheeel, went outside and observed the outside headlight bulbs on, noticed the marker lights off, observed the tail lights off. Confirmed that the light switch was off. Could not confirm lights were dimmed any. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

What you described above is not DRL. When you turn your wipers on, the Smart Wheel module supplies power to the dimmer switch, just like pulling the headlight switch on would (except this is headlights only). IOW, it simply turns on your headlights, and you have full contol over them with the dimmer switch. (You can turn them off by cycling the HL switch.)

Daylight running lights is another system entirely. My guess is when you look at your coach, you'll find that empty socket in the FRB, that we've been talking about here.

As for the socket, itself, I don't think the pin layout on the schematic is wrong. What I'm guessing is that there is a special Hamsar DRL module that plugs in there and not a conventional relay. I'm hoping we'll find out when bg1811 get's his and posts some pictures of it.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Robin...
I think Sacs did a little research on the company. They have modules that are made specifically for DRL applications. here is the page for that...of course..Cummins/Monaco is not listed specifically...
I guess we will wait to see what the part # is...

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Rob,
You are correct, I do not have DRL and have an empty socket for DRL. I agree, I don't think the schmetic and pinouts are wrong but I I'd bet they are mislabled as a Bosch type relay.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Mama,

Yep. We'll see. Of course, the Monaco part number won't mean much (except for others who want to order it). I'm hoping there will be a Hamsar part number printed on the face of the module.

I think having the lights come on with the wipers is a good idea for all vehicles. That's a different concept. But I'm not sure I believe in the DRL concept. Seems to me it takes useless energy expense to run 100w of lights all day long, and also I have to wonder how many drivers with DRL systems get into accidents at night because they forget to turn on the rest of their lights.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:58 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have to wonder how many drivers with DRL systems get into accidents at night because they forget to turn on the rest of their lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, your headlamps come on automatically at dusk if you buy almost any new GM vehicle...just one more reason to buy GM...

MM

Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Robin,
I don't know if it will help, but I am picking up the new Camelot on Monday and I ordered DRL on it. I will be hanging out in Deerwood close to Mama and will look for the module you are talking about--probably will get some help from SacsTC in identifying it and then will post the module maker and number.

Duffy's Dad

2009 Camelot QDP 40ft.
Duffy's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
Well, your headlamps come on automatically at dusk if you buy almost any new GM vehicle...just one more reason to buy GM... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Mama,

Does that mean that they did away with the "Auto" setting on the light switch? Do your lights come on at dusk even if your HL switch is in the "OFF" postiion?
Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks, DD. It'll be intersting to see what they have there.

Robin
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Does that mean that they did away with the "Auto" setting on the light switch? Do your lights come on at dusk even if your HL switch is in the "OFF" position? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now Robin, WHY would I take them off of the "auto" setting?

MM

Old 04-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have to wonder how many drivers with DRL systems get into accidents at night because they forget to turn on the rest of their lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the dash lights don't come on with DRL. I recall a rent car that I forgot to turn on the headlights and wondered why the dash light were off. Fiddled with the light switch and the "real" lights came on as did the dash lights.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:59 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Good point, Mark. I think that's right. My big beef is with silly drivers who refuse to turn on their lights until it's pitch dark outside. It's really hard to see some cars at dusk.

Like Mama, I just keep my headlights (on my non-GM car) in the "auto" position.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:26 AM   #40

The relay wasn't delivered on Friday so I guess we'll have to wait until next week to get the pictures and specs on it. I'll post as soon as I get it.
bg1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #41

Hey, I went to the storage building today where my 06 Endeaver is and I too have day light running lights. How cool! Again thanks to this forum I learned some new I didnt know about my coach. Thank You!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #42

OK, I got the relay today. It did turn on the DRL's on my 2004 Diplomat. The info on the unit is:
Hamsar
Solid State
D.R.L. Module
Made in Canada
Model No.
H8014B
BN: 170108
Numbers on side of module:

Pins are numbered:
Left vertical pin: 88
Top Horizonal pin: 87
Center Horizonal pin: 87a
Lower vertical pin: 80
Right verical pin: 85

I did not get a packing slip in the box, so, I don't know the Monaco part number. The lights come on at a reduced intensity. Probably made to Canadian standards.

The one picture is upside down "notice date". I had to turn it over to get the pin numbers to read properly. The above pin numbers reference the pins in the "upside down" picture.

There seems to be a problem posting pictures. Or I don't know what I'm doing.
bg1811 is offline   Reply With Quote