RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to saduncan1
Dayton-VDO GPS

Im wondering if anybody has found a direct replacment for the vdo-dayton GPS in a 2003 signature, and if they have what is involved with the switch?

saduncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
saduncan1...Welcome to iRV2 and the Monaco Forum! We have a couple of members that have Signatures ...but I think there is only one that I know of that has the same year. I just don't know if he has the GPS system that you have.

I will PM him if I do not see a response from him in the next day or two.
Again..welcome to iRV2 ..we do hope you visit & post often!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saduncan1 View Post
Im wondering if anybody has found a direct replacment for the vdo-dayton GPS in a 2003 signature, and if they have what is involved with the switch?
I would also take a look at the Pioneer systems.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #4

saduncan1,

I have the same coach and the same problem. That vdo-dayton is a very big deal in Europe but not in the states. I solved the problem by ignoring it. I use the vcm screen in the engine monitor mode while traveling and a portable gps unit which is also much easier to use. I tried using the vdo a couple of times and I was so difficult to use that I gave up. They were still producing an up grade to the vdo a couple of years ago (maybe the 5700?) but it was very pricey and their distributor support in the states is poor.

I think that was the weakest component on the '03 sig. We are full timers & have been very happy with the coach.

Steve O
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to saduncan1
Thanks everyone, I love my coach and having a gps that works well would be nice! Ive though about going with a hand held but would like to find somthing that will work with the systems all ready in the dash or a replacement for it.
Steve
saduncan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I took out the VDO and put in a Garmin GVN52 (now GVN53) and view it through the Aladdin monitor. You can even load your own POI's.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
My VDO is just taking up space till I junk it. I wonder if there are really any manfacturer installed GPS that are worth a darn. My Itasca had an Alpine that was also a P.O.S. I finally bought a Magellon 4.5 inch screen and use the vacumm cup bracket on the far right side of the instrument panel within reach of my wife (nagavator). We seldom use the GPS anyway, how lost can you get on the freeways......check that...except for taking the I-8 bypass at Phoenix that had us well on our way to San Diego......we were enroute to Las Vegas. I did have one valuable experience in Glenwood Springs, CO when we got off the freeway for fuel and couldn't find the on-ramp. GPS worked flawlessly, but I think the residents of this little hamlet were a bit surprised to see a 40 footer with a toad wending it's way though the small downtown streets.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocop View Post
My VDO is just taking up space till I junk it. I wonder if there are really any manfacturer installed GPS that are worth a darn. My Itasca had an Alpine that was also a P.O.S. I finally bought a Magellon 4.5 inch screen and use the vacumm cup bracket on the far right side of the instrument panel within reach of my wife (nagavator). We seldom use the GPS anyway, how lost can you get on the freeways......check that...except for taking the I-8 bypass at Phoenix that had us well on our way to San Diego......we were enroute to Las Vegas. I did have one valuable experience in Glenwood Springs, CO when we got off the freeway for fuel and couldn't find the on-ramp. GPS worked flawlessly, but I think the residents of this little hamlet were a bit surprised to see a 40 footer with a toad wending it's way though the small downtown streets.
Several people on this forum are using the Pioneer systems for in dash replacements...They are the best that I have seen.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycarz View Post
I took out the VDO and put in a Garmin GVN52 (now GVN53) and view it through the Aladdin monitor. You can even load your own POI's.
Happycarz, how do you like the Garmin GVN52 so far? Did you install it? I have been looking at the Pioneer systems but this looks great and easy to install and half of the cost of the Pioneer.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post

Happycarz, how do you like the Garmin GVN52 so far? Did you install it? I have been looking at the Pioneer systems but this looks great and easy to install and half of the cost of the Pioneer.
Happycarz,

Thank you for your response and I will let you get some rest from your long drive. I am at my office and have a meeting this afternoon (I'm still a working dog for another 2 months). I will call and speak with you tomorrow.

Again, thank you
Old 11-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a Smart car and on the showroom floor the demo had an Kenwood with same Garmin integrated into it. I had them put one in my car. Motorhome has remote and car has touch screen. 5 clicks and 8 seconds to find nearest fuel, Walmart or campgrounds. Very intuitive and I can load my own POI's into it.

I'll copy/paste earlier post on it.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
From Jan 2008 post:

I purchased my coach from Guaranty RV, but took factory dilivery. As I had ordered factory navigation (Dayton VDO0, I was interested in its operation on our road test. After the delivery tech working with it for over ten minutes, he gave up. Besides, the screen resolution was worse than a Commadore 64. After two days discussion about this piece of junk, they admitted that they had a different brand but had not yet tested it in a coach. On the third day, I said they could take it out, or Guaranty RV could take it out, or I would take it out, as I was not leaving with it installed in my coach. When I got the coach back at the end of the day (they were fixing all the small stuff), lo and behold, I had a Garmin running on my Aladdin Jr. In less than ten minutes, I had it figured out.

A little background. My friend took delivery of a 08 Scepter three weeks before me and he had ordered the factory nav system also. As he clued me in about it before I took delivery, I was primed, so to speak. My friend couldn't get the factory to do anything about his, even after mentioning what they had done for me. So, at the Redmond rally, he found a VP in charge of sales, who committed to a $500.00 alllowance
to replace it. He went on line and found the Garmin GVN52 for around $400. He had a local rv service center install the ant and I installed the rest. One box, an ant input, two outputs to the Aladdin Jr., add switched 12v and a ground and that was it.
Use the joy stick to toggle amoung camera, Aladdin and nav. It is rv ready and has a menu listing for campgrounds. Using the remote, in 4 or 5? clicks, and less than ten seconds you have the listing on the screen arranged by proximity.
On another post, I read where the steering wheel is in the way of the screen on certain models, but mine is quite a bit to the left of the steering wheel and perfect for me.