Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 05:03 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dead as a doornail...

We just returned home from a great trip, parked the MH (Monaco Knight 2006) in the driveway. Plugged into shore power, unloaded, cleaned etc. The following day DH worked on the bus. While working he left the door open, stairs extened etc. Today we went to start the bus and nothing. zip, even the battery boost would start the engine. We were able to start the generator but that was it. DH says the batteries are old. I did a complete check of all lights etc. I think it must have been the door/step being left open for so long that it drained everything. But any ideas how we can start the rig?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

Take the batteries out, charge them using a stand alone battery charger, then have them load tested.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #3

Check your Big Boy solenoid. If you were plugged into shore power it should have charged all batteries. To test the Big Boy, use a voltmeter, set it for atleast 12 volts DC, put your leads on the two large lugs of the Big Boy and if you have voltage the Big Boy is not functioning correctly. There may be a very small amount of voltage but I am talking way less than 1 volt. The Big Boy can be taken apart and cleaned inside most of the time to make it work like new again. I should mention that I am assuming the Big Boy is warm to the touch, if not it may need replaced. Good luck

Dave
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Make sure he didn't hit the switch to crank the engine from the rear ( located in the engine compartment). I hit mine accidently one time with my shoulder. It took me a few hours to figure out what I did. Lots of folks don't even know about the switch.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jump start from another vehicle. Jump start using a stout jump start box.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replys. We're going to give it a try today (no rain! finally...)
Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
How long did you run the generator? If you run it for a couple of hours the batteries may recover enough to start the engine.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #8

Your generation of Knight only charges the chassis batteries from the engine alternator and does not have a BIG BOY. Leaving the steps out would not discharge the batteries.

You probably have corrosion on a terminal or on the disconnect switch. It is unlikely that both chassis batteries failed at the same time.

The battery boost will bridge the house and the chassis batteries. However, this requires a working Trombetta solenoid (located in top of battery compartment) that frequently fails.

One option is to use a set of booster cables to bridge between the house and chassis batteries. But before trying this I would run a series of test to check for 12v using a Voltmeter from the batteries forward.

Good Luck.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
We just returned home from a great trip, parked the MH (Monaco Knight 2006) in the driveway. Plugged into shore power, unloaded, cleaned etc. The following day DH worked on the bus. While working he left the door open, stairs extened etc. Today we went to start the bus and nothing. zip, even the battery boost would start the engine. We were able to start the generator but that was it. DH says the batteries are old. I did a complete check of all lights etc. I think it must have been the door/step being left open for so long that it drained everything. But any ideas how we can start the rig?

See tinstar 1114 post here in this thread, it's not uncommon to accidently hit the Rear Run switch.

If that happens when you turn the key from the ignition switch ..... you have NOTHING.

If not that case .....check the state of charge of the chassis batteries
Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the chassis batteries are bad, the aux switch may not help. Jump start.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hammer bird, I've heard that expression all my life. What the heck does that mean, "dead as a doornail" ? What is a "doornail" ?

Never mind, I just Googled it! https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dead_as_a_doornail
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

This phrase has been around since the 1300s, but like many, I always wondered about it. See this:
Doornails are the large-headed studs that were used in earlier times for strength and more recently as decoration. The practice was to hammer the nail through and then bend the protruding end over to secure it. This process, similar to riveting, was called clenching. This may be the source of the 'deadness', as such a nail would be unusable afterwards.

Dickens was among the celebrated authors who liked the phrase and made a point of musing on it in A Christmas Carol

Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
So we're up and running!! DH cleaned up the batteries, ran a charger on them for awhile and poof! Started right up. He found that he had bumped some switches while working on the steps so we think (hope) that was the problem. We are going to check the age of the batteries! Thanks for the help!

Tags
door