Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dead cranking battery.

Went down to check on MH at storage unit today. it's plugged into 110 power and the house batteries seem fine but the cranking batteries were dead. check voltage , dead, house batteries good. Started generator checked batteries and they seem to be charging, shut off generator checked voltage and they seem to be charging. I put a battery charger on them and will check it tomorrow and see where I'm at. I'll get the model # of the inverter charger tomorrow if I Get a chance and maybe take some pictutes of it. Batteries were all new in April of 2019.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2020, 02:37 PM   #2

You should have a battery disconnect switch on the chassis batteries

Most if them will draw down due to parasitic loads

If they were completely dead you might have to use a jumper to get the charger to work
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
I had similar issue and then learned I just needed to hit the chassis battery disconnect switch whenever I parked the unit for more than 24 hours. Had an instance of camping for a few days and then when I tried to start the engine I had to jump it off. After that disconnecting the chassis battery became part of my arrival checklist and I keep a separate battery maintainer on it when storing it. Since then, no issues.

I also think my start bypass to house battery is faulty but that's another problem to fix later.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have it plugged into power I think it should keep the batteries charged, I wonder if some kind of switch isn't switching. Seems funny that the house batteries are charged and the cranking batteries aren't. Stumped.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Many motorhomes only charge the house batteries when plugged into shore power!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
rgl

Monaco Owners Club
On our 06 Camelot, if I am plugged in, the inverter only charges the 4 house batteries. If the 4 batteries are charged up enough (above 13 volts) then a Xantrex Digital Echo Charger connected to the coach bank, begins to charge the chassis bank

Now if your snowflake has this setup, and your Echo charger is defeated by the manual chassis knob being off, you may not be charging the chassis bank.

Mine used to be located in the front run bay, but I moved it to the rear run bay as it seemed better to be closer to the battery banks (truer voltages)

If you don't have this setup on your Camelot, then you need to investigate how you actually cross charge the chassis bank from the inverter/charger.

My chassis bank has a significant parasitic drain and I have learned to disconnect the Positive cable on the chassis bank if in storage (no access to 110)
Old 01-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #7

Did you try your boost switch to start the engine.

If it didn't work, that solenoid may be bad. It is also the same solenoid that may charge your chassis battery.
It definitely is the same one that charges the house battery when the engine is running.

Get the chassis battery charged fully and then pull shore power.
Start the engine and see if your house batteries charge above 13 volts with the engine running. It may need to run 10 minutes or so.

If it doesn't, the solenoid may be bad, and could be your problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I had the same problem last year. It was a bad relay. I changed it out, now all is good again.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure about your model, but some units had a IRD (uni-directional charging) board as apposed to a BIRD (bi-directional charging) board.

From what I understand, the IRD will charge your coach batteries from the engine alternator after the chassis batteries are charged; but will not charge the chassis batteries when the RV is plugged in.

But a properly working BIRD, will charge both sets of batteries, from the engine alternator or the coach charger/genset when plugged in.

From what I can tell, our 2005 Cayman has a IRD system But I did have to replace our big boy relay so even the IRD function would work!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/char...ird-50981.html
Old 01-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #10

As you’ve stated you need to find out if your chassis batteries are charging while plugged in.

What’s Open Circuit Voltage static not plugged in?
What’s the voltage plugged in ?
You should see at least 1vdc increase.

These coaches are like someone once said “ Snowflakes” no two seem to be the same.

Many report here that their coaches do NOT charge the chassis battery’s while plug in and have install supplemental chargers to do so.

My coach does charge all 10 batteries while plugged …2 chassis and 8 house the batteries.
My coach can sit for months and no issues battery’s they are always charged and ready to rock.

As far as switching your coach off & on ? If that is the only option? I guess

Personally I don’t like the idea of switching any main electrical power source on and off because it can create voltage spikes when doing so and voltage spikes can be an electrical component killer.

There is a specific reason many auto manufactures factory service information recommend keeping the vehicle alive with an alternate power supply when swapping batteries ( and it has nothing to do with radio stations)

You need to make sure all your batteries are charging while plugged in while in storage for starting reasons and battery service life.

Happy Trails
Old 01-07-2020, 02:56 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Check on the MH today, put a battery charger on it yesterday and battery was up and started MH. Forgot my voltage meter at home so I'll check the batteries tomorrow. Thanks for all the info. I'll be headed to warm weather in February so it will be easier to check out then if I don't get it figured out. Only supposed to be zero here tonight!! 😊👍

Tags
battery