Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #1

Decisions, Decisions - Monaco or Gulfstream

Hi Monaco owners .. We are in the process of going Full time and are trying
to decide which new home we want .. have found a 2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ with 8K miles that is beautiful inside and has everything we want. Then OTOH, we found a 2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster 40A which has almost
identical goodies as the Monaco .. Both have the 400 Cummings, home refrigerator, new tires, Sat antenna systems ... we were dead set on the Gulfstream until we found the Monaco which has a desk attached to the kitchen counter space .. We need this to keep our travel business active while we are on the road (computer, printer, office supplies) ..

So, we have had 2 sleepless nights looking at both units. The Gulfstream is actually priced about $10K more than the Monaco but we expected that because of the age factor ..

So, any good, bad or indifferent ideas to help us decide will be greatly
appreciated because we are motivated and will probably need to make a
decision by next week ... Have a few more things to sell including the house and we will be FULL TIMERS .. Wheeeee ...
mgammon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #2

I can only comment on the Monaco. An '06 is certainly in the "sweet spot" for Monaco coaches. The quality of components and build were really excellent. We have lived full time in an '03 Monaco for over 7 years now and can't imagine a better home.

There is a potential issue with the Cummins ISL in '06. It only affected a small known range of engines and you should check the serial number of the engine against this list.

Good luck with your decision.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl-...ge-180891.html

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
No experience with Gulfstream, but we LOVE our Monaco!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Walk through both coaches and note the cabinetry, flooring, drapes etc etc. If the layout feels right and they drive equally well, go with the Monaco. Top line build at Monaco.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Decisions, Decisions - Monaco or Gulfstream

When I was comparing motorhomes some years back, one of them was a Gulfstream. The salesman pointed out to me several areas where the quality was sadly lacking compared to the other brands he had on the lot at that time. Check the basement doors on the two coaches you are comparing. At the time it was real obvious the Gulfstream doors were flimsy and not as sturdy and didn't fit as well as the others. Look at the wiring and plumbing bays. Look at places the coach builder never thought you would look....that usually shows which one has quality, and which one is lacking. It's easy to just see the "glitz". It's the "bones" of the beast that hold it together!

I would go with the Monaco.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We used to consider the GulfStrem Tour master as the coach we wanted back in 2006.

We had an older Beaver Marquis at the time. We took a trip that included stops at both the Monaco factory and the GulfStream factory. After seeing both units under construction and getting a chance to see the way they were put together, the choice became Monaco only.

We're happy with our Monaco, but it still doesn't compare to the build quality of our old 1991 Beaver.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have been inside many Gulfstreams but have only driven one, the Constellation when it was first introduced. I loved the Murphy Bed and the interior finish of the Constellation but their chassis left a lot to be desired.

After driving it there is no comparison with Monaco, the Roadmaster chassis's are the best around.

I chose a 2002 Windsor on the S-Series Chassis back in 2003 and I have had no regrets whatsoever and have no desire to change.

You won't be disappointed with the 2006 Monaco unless it has been abused by previous owners.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #8

G. Marshall Gammon
While admittedly biased in favor of an MCC Monaco, I have been inside several Gulfstreams and they reminded me of entry level coaches with the glitz that wears off pretty quickly. Not much comparison with a Diplomat or above model Monaco. While MCC is bankrupt, Monaco still has parts and service techs available, while Gulfstream motorhomes are gone but may still be in trailer business.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #9

Thanks all .. Your help is greatly appreciated .. Headed to Apopka in the morning to see
both the Monaco Diplomat and Gulf Stream tourmaster .. Both are at the same dealer so it will give us a chance to look both over very carefully .... Hope to see ya on the
road and who knows, may be able to join the Monaco owners group here ... thanks
again .. Marshall
Old 08-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #10

UPDATE @@@

Monaco won out ... Getting the 2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PDQ ... Thanks again for all the information ... All was spot on ...
Old 08-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats

Welcome to the Monaco family. You will not regret it.
Procyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:15 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bravo!

Congratulations and Happy trails!
BT-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #13

We have an '07 Endeavor 40' PDQ which has served us well with no mechanical problems and minimal house system problems. My only comment on the difference between an '06 and '08 might be about satellite systems, TVs and associated electronics. Our '07 had a flat screen in front and an old style CRT in back. We had a SD KVH dish which was a piece of crap. Most problematic was that there was not a suitable cabinet up front for a Dish DVR receiver. They were all too shallow. Had to build an additional shelf under the existing overhead in front. By '08 most units had made a transition to more modern TVs and electronics and larger cabinets for receivers and DVD players.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased my 2007 Diplomat new and it has been solid. Steve listed the serial number range for the Cummins that you should check.

Tags
gulfstream, monaco