Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diamond Shield

We have a 01 HR Imperial, with the dreaded 3M Diamond Shield on it. It has become very discolored, and is very annoying. Has anyone discovered a way of removing this stuff, without ruining your paint or emptying the wallet.
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, the wife just finished with our '05 Monaco Diplomat. You need the following, 3M plastic razor blades from Amazon and a paint brush to paint on the gasoline!! Start by using a heat gun (hair dryer), then the gasoline and scrap!!!! About 40-60 hours later, presto.. looks like brand new. Honestly, the we tried everything recommended and gasoline was the only solvent that worked. Oh yeah, lots of patience.
Good luck
sdorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #3

I agree with the op. Having read about problem on irv2 for several years I think heating it adding gas and scraping is the only way. However I had the same stuff on our toad front end. The other day I had a paint shop remove the "stuff" and repainted the whole hood. They did it and never mentioned having to remove the "stuff". Or any hardship. I was so surprised I failed to ask how they did it and if it hurt the paint. ,will let you know.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used a good size steamer to heat the mask and then used heavy plastic srapers to peel the mask off. There was still a heavy coating of adhesive and the only thing that would get it off was gasoline. My wife had puppy training pads in the coach, they are absorbent on 1 side. I would put some gas on the pad and then just lay it across a section where the adhesive was, wait a minute or two and then use a scraper to get the adhesive off.

In total it took me about 40 hours to do our coach.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
How about calling the folks at Diamond Shield, and
asking them, they are in Rochester, NY 888-806-5862.
You have a film made by 3M, that was branded by many
folks. There is nothing inherently wrong with the product,
but it has a life span, and maintenance/cleaning/environment
have a lot to do with its useful life. I have an '08 that still
looks like new.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Ray View Post
We have a 01 HR Imperial, with the dreaded 3M Diamond Shield on it. It has become very discolored, and is very annoying. Has anyone discovered a way of removing this stuff, without ruining your paint or emptying the wallet.
The 3M Shield and Diamond Shield are two different products. The 3M has a limited life and after 9 years on our coach was starting to look bad. We had it removed in Jan while down in Florida and replaced with the Diamond Shield. The Diamond Shield cost more than the 3M but has a lifetime guarantee. Of course one must take lifetime guarantees with a grain of salt, but if it last 15 years I will be 85 and maybe will be driving something smaller.

For what it is worth, the two guys that removed our old 3M did it in just under 3 hours and the paint looked like new. They used wall paper steamers and about 100 plastic razor blades. They had something in a spray bottle that removed the glue by just spraying and wiping. I ask them what it was but they would not tell me. Trade secret I guess. They had both been to training at Diamond Shield on how to install the new shield. The owner of the business claimed that Diamond Shield would not sell the new kit to anyone who had not had the training. Diamond Shield actually had a kit for our Diplomat that had pre-cut sections that included a protective sections for the dead bolt and door release.

Two links you maybe interested in:
http://www.diamond-shield.com/produc...ct=Bug%20Magic
http://www.floridaappliedfilms.com/

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:20 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diamond Shield

Thanks for all the info, guys! Removal still sounds daunting. Guess I'll try when it gets hot, this summer.
Grady Ray
Grady Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady Ray View Post
Thanks for all the info, guys! Removal still sounds daunting. Guess I'll try when it gets hot, this summer.
Grady Ray
Nodine is correct saying Diamond Shield will only allow an Authorized Dealer to install their product. I had mine replaced due to an argument the front of my coach had with a gravel burm. . We won't go there.

Not sure how removal is done exactly but I saw mine after removal and the finish under it was like new. I also saw one a few years ago in an RV Park where the owner had attempted to remove it on his own. He used a heat gun and scraper and it turned into a Total Disaster. Major work to repaint.

So, what I'm saying is, unless you have some skills with this type of operation, my suggestion would be to get someone to do the removal and install together.
Problems begin to arise when one person does the removal and along comes the installer saying there is a problem with the finish and we know where that goes. Nobody wants to assume responsibility. IMHO.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2005 Newmar that looks like new yet also...

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 PM   #10

My 08 looks like new. Makes u wonder what is the difference. I also have a can of " plexus" that can with instructions from diamond shield on application etc. glad the previous owner did something right.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

3M Film Removal

You might try 3M Trim Adhesive Remover, sold at automotive paint stores. Available in quart dispenser cans. Costly but is great adhesive remover that will not damage any finish I've ever used it on. Dave
shepfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #12

Steamer and lots of plastic razor blades followed by Auto Tech Quick and Easy Adhesive Remover. Available at a auto paint supplier or Amazon.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2005 Executive also had this plague! We tried everything. It was cracked, and dull. We could remove it after steaming, but got strips about the size of bandaid. Finally got disgusted and blew it off with industrial steam pressure washer and repainted the front end. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just go to the green search box in the upper right and search for "removing 3D diamond shield" and you'll get lots of info!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote