RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you know your hwh jacks can lift your rig

Howdy y'all,
Did you know your HWH jacks can lift your 38-9' rig OFF OF THE GROUND?? I didn't, until I was @ Wal-
Mart in Brownwood, Texas last week and saw Monaco, on asphalt with ALL OF IT'S TIRES OFF THE SURFACE !!!!!!! FOLKS, THATZ WHAT GETS US RUN-OFF FROM OUR FREE PARKING!!! And this guy wasn't even in the RV area of the parking lot HE WAS IN THE MIDDLE, although @ the end, where incoming traffic had to dodge it !!!!
Please, remember the RVrs(Escapees)code 'Be nice, do no harm & leave it cleaner than you found it.'

Smooth roads & balmy breezes !!!!!!!!

butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Power gear can too if your rig is not overloaded.

Got the rig positioned on the site today. Set the brake,pushed jack button and dang near fainted.....Rig was already level.. Just dropped 'em to stableize.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Got the rig positioned on the site today. Set the brake,pushed jack button and dang near fainted.....Rig was already level.. Just dropped 'em to stableize.

Now you went and used that up so early in the year....all down hill from here.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #4

We had a Monaco Diplomat and I would use the jacks to raise the front so I could easily change the oil & filter. Used jack stands of course for safety.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had read to "never lift the tires off the ground with the jacks" so imagine my surprise when I took my rig in to have the front wheel bearings changed to oil bath and the MH shop put a heavy steel "box" about 8 x 8 inches under my front jack, then raised the entire front end so both tires were 3-4 inches off the ground! I was told that the jack would easily support the front end and it was SOP for them - They had the steel box fabricated to allow extra lift. Sure saved them a lot of time (and me money with the shop rates).
azstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #6

Of course they can lift the entire MH off the ground. But, if you have HWH levelers be prepared for the whole coach to slide forward off the lifts . Setting the brakes or putting it in Park isn't going to help the situation. By all means, do not crawl under it unless you use jack stands.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes I know the jacks will pick up the whole rig. Several years ago, while trying to level the mh, I picked up the back too far and it rolled forward and almost hit dw Jeep, which was parked in front. Man did I catch H*** for that !!!!!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
Of course they can lift the entire MH off the ground. But, if you have HWH levelers be prepared for the whole coach to slide forward off the lifts . Setting the brakes or putting it in Park isn't going to help the situation. By all means, do not crawl under it unless you use jack stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
Yes I know the jacks will pick up the whole rig. Several years ago, while trying to level the mh, I picked up the back too far and it rolled forward and almost hit dw Jeep, which was parked in front. Man did I catch H*** for that !!!!!
I've read this so many times on these forums, it just isn't hardly funny anymore. How the heck can a 15 ton box standing on STILTS roll anywhere?

3 8" round jack pads supporting 33,000 pounds, works out to 440 pounds per square inch. And once she's up in the air, there ain't no level and there ain't no downhill. She ain't moving guys, no way.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I've read this so many times on these forums, it just isn't hardly funny anymore. How the heck can a 15 ton box standing on STILTS roll anywhere?

3 8" round jack pads supporting 33,000 pounds, works out to 440 pounds per square inch. And once she's up in the air, there ain't no level and there ain't no downhill. She ain't moving guys, no way.

DITTO
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

I won't argue over this but my MH slipped off the jacks just 10 seconds after I crawled out from under it. It made a believer out of me. I personally know of two others that have done the same thing while jacked up on all four. If you want to risk your body under there, then go ahead. I'll stick to jack stands or blocks under the wheels.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never even give it a chance to see if it will roll off the jacks. When I lift the rear off the ground I always block the front wheels and never lift all corners at the same time.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,
It surprised me that they would lift ALL of the coach, BUT THAT WASN'T WHAT THE MAIN POINT WAS!!!!!!! IT WAS ON THE ASPHALT PARKING LOT
IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALMART PARKING SPACES!!!!!!!!! SICK BIRD!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHY WE(RVRS) GET RUNOFF OF PARKING LOTS!!!!!!!!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:49 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
He wasn't doing a brake job, was he?

You're right, proper walmart etiquette does not include popping out the slides and leveling your rig.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
He wasn't doing a brake job, was he?

You're right, proper walmart etiquette does not include popping out the slides and leveling your rig.
I knew that was the original intent of the OP, to criticize using jacks when at Wal-Mart. I am curious as to whom created the proper Wal-Mart etiquette regarding jacks and slides. The store management, along with common sense on a hot day, should determine that.