Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Additive-question from newbie

Hello all,
Being a rookie at RV'ing (first one at age 61 in hopes of full-timing next year), I'm unclear about what to do with my fuel during storage over this winter. I'm putting my rig in an underground storage location that is a consistent 55 degrees year round. I'm leaving it here for the winter months (e.g. 5 mo's). I am required to have 1/2 tank of fuel and no more for storage.
Question: Should I add some stabilizer and/or algaecide/anti-gel to my tank for the 5 months of down time? If so, what products have proven to be successful for you.
thanks all,
Learning more every day with this great forum.
Rfriebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I'd put a quart of service power in or 911 and it should be good to go.
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebert View Post
Hello all,
I'm putting my rig in an underground storage location that is a consistent 55 degrees year round. I'm leaving it here for the winter months (e.g. 5 mo's).
I spent a few yrs in the area (22), how are you storing under ground, are you using the salt mines to store your rv? Not sure if that is a good idea due to salt and rust creation from my experience on the roads...

curious minds want to know...
Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't think you will have a problem with fuel stability over 3-4 months. Fill up and go for long drive at start of new season. But the possible salt environment I would think would be less than ideal. Are the roads salt ?

If so, I would give it a major underside wash at first trip also.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just did some quick reading on storing biodiesel, some nasty stuff. biodiesel degrades quickly in the presence of oxygen, water, and has a nasty pH. So if you can, I'd make sure the fuel has the lowest % bio before storing, and the fullest tank possible. I'm not sure about the humidity being underground. Cold should slow the microbes from growing, but humidity acts like an accelerate...

The military bans biodiesel for tactical military vehicles, even under current military fuel specs.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When I store my rig between uses I add an algaecide, I use Biobor. I also use Startron Enzyme treatment which also breaks down any dead algae.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:28 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
When I store my rig between uses I add an algaecide, I use Biobor. I also use Startron Enzyme treatment which also breaks down any dead algae.
Not driving a Diesel I can not coment on the gut a friend of mine has an absolute gorgeous Blue Bird Bus, about 25-26 years old.

He had engine issues, both Generator and Main engine.

Technician is here working on it, it's now running fine at full idle.. He's stumped.. Inspriation strikes and I point to the fuel pre-filter (it has two filters) sure enough, algae all over it.

The above advice is very necessary these days.. As for other additives, as I said, I do not drive a diesel.. So can not comment.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #8

If I see BIO on the pump I pull out and go find a place that does not have it.

I put diesel kleen in about every other tank and it seems to keep my fuel happy it also seems to improve the ketones and gets a little better mileage don't ask me how to prove it.

Some say snake oil and waste but been using it for 20 years and have 106,000 on my isl 400 it runs great so I don't mess with success

I put it in before I park for winter months is so texas and my aquahot is happy

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I'm intrigued by the underground storage. Most natural underground features have high humidity.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
I spent a few yrs in the area (22), how are you storing under ground, are you using the salt mines to store your rv? Not sure if that is a good idea due to salt and rust creation from my experience on the roads...

curious minds want to know...
Fortunately it is not a salt mine. This is a limestone mine that was carved out of the inside of a mountain. 55 degrees year round and I'm told that humidity is around 65 - 75 %. They do have specific climate controlled areas for other applications. Close her up, cover the top and put some Damp Rid though out and we're good to go. No winterizing needed.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Fortunately it is not a salt mine. This is a limestone mine that was carved out of the inside of a mountain. 55 degrees year round and I'm told that humidity is around 65 - 75 %. They do have specific climate controlled areas for other applications. Close her up, cover the top and put some Damp Rid though out and we're good to go. No winterizing needed.

FYI Experts say the humidity levels your state are far above what promotes mold growth.

I had a friend that mold issues due to excessive dampness in his coach while in storage and he ended up having to tear the coach down to a bare skeleton to resolve the i$$ue.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:24 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Fortunately it is not a salt mine. This is a limestone mine that was carved out of the inside of a mountain.
Thanks for the clarification, I saw the Mentor address, the limestone Mountain is not like the Mentor that I recall shopping at...

Hope you do something with the diesel fuel, any bio diesel would worry me stored in that condition.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Responee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
Thanks for the clarification, I saw the Mentor address, the limestone Mountain is not like the Mentor that I recall shopping at...

Hope you do something with the diesel fuel, any bio diesel would worry me stored in that condition.
The facility is in Wampum pa.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
A full tank is your friend when storing .
Do they want you to drive around until you get to half a tank ? ����

Tags
diesel, newbie