Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #1

Diesel Additives...... Should I?

Been doing some reading sense I bought our new to us 2001 330hp Cummins. Should I be adding any diesel additives because of the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD)
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No.

Cummins does not recommend an additive for that.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I use it to help keep the injectors clean about 3 or 4 times a yr also treat my cars. I like Lucas.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #4

I also second on not using it. Cummins says not to use additives. Save your money. Your injectors are not going to get dirty with two fuel filters. Diesel fuel does not varnish up like gasoline does.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I may be wrong but I think the only additive cummins recommends is for acid accumulation in the cooling system to extend drain interval.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use an additive for lubrication, not for injector cleaning. Check this website Opti-Lube Advanced Lubricants and read the two articles from DIESELPLACE and Diesel Power Magazine. I've been using the OptiLube for about two years. it's a personal choice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #7

Talked to a truck driver yesterday at a Wal Mart. He had a million miles on his Peterbilt with a CAT C-16 motor with only one "in frame overhaul". Said he has never seen a benifit from any fuel additives and if he computed the cost per mile then if he used an additive it would raise it to much. He changes oil every 10,000 miles. He did say that he had tried some additives over the years and never saw a increase in MPG or power. He also said that the truckers were not having any problems with the ultra low sulfur fuel and believes that the "required" upper cylinder lube is just hype to get your money. He was a interesting truck driver, he shared driving with his wife in a lavender colored Peterbilt. I figured with the amount of time he has driving that he has probably figured out some things for himself. I thought that my Detroit Diesel was big but that CAT C-16 looked even bigger.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #8

This sounds like it could be a great debate. The thing with truckers (I am sure they are Pros) their trucks runs "Lots" of miles over the years and I am not us as RV'ers should think that what they say is gospel. I am not trying to demean anything that they say and I have to utmost respect for them.

However I have been doing a lot of reading in the past year or so (I had a 2008 Durmax before my current Diesel) and IN MY HUMBLE OPINION I am going to use Opti-Lube. Diplomat Don gave me a couple articles to read. I have been a member of The Diesel Place for years and have used the forum there for many questions in the past...

Make It A Great Day........
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #9

I was at the Beaudry RV "Monaco Pre-Rally" this past March.
Cummin's had a seminar that was very informative.
1. No need for any additives to the fuel.
2. If you park your rig for an extended period..keep the fuel tank full.
3. No need for synthetic engine oil. A waste of money as oil change intervals are still the same. Never seen a real MPG increase.
4. No need to start the rig up every couple weeks andl let it idle and not get up to running temp like under load. Just keep the fuel tank full.
5. No need for long idle time to cool off. When you hit the end of the off ramp it will be as cool as the turbo needs.
6. Long warm up prior to leaving is harmful to the engine, get going easy to start.

Dang!! Hope I didn't dash all the old wifes tales all the old time truckers have told us.
Don't hit me.. I am just reporting what Cummins had to say.
Larry
Larry Geese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I have read a number of articles about using an additive to the fuel to help prevent Microbial growth in diesel fuel tanks like Biobor. Any comments about use of this type of additive?

Thanks
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kketterling View Post
I have read a number of articles about using an additive to the fuel to help prevent Microbial growth in diesel fuel tanks like Biobor. Any comments about use of this type of additive?

Thanks
Cummins does approve of that additive.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
I use an additive for lubrication, not for injector cleaning. Check this website Opti-Lube Advanced Lubricants and read the two articles from DIESELPLACE and Diesel Power Magazine. I've been using the OptiLube for about two years. it's a personal choice.
Don, like you I have been using Opti-Lube for about two years and I think its the reason for my improved fuel mileage. I have a 41' motorhome with a Cummins ISL 370 hp engine that is fully loaded for fulltiming and the first 20K miles it averaged 7.78 mpg. The next 10K miles while the engine was getting broken in it averaged 8.3 mpg. The next 12K miles I used Opti-Lube and have averaged 9.3 mpg. In that 12K miles the least I have got was 8.3 mpg and the most was 9.9 mpg.

That is 9.3 mpg over 12K miles and I figure the mileage with a pencil and paper - not a computer generated readout. Part of the increase may be due to increasing tire pressures to 5 lbs over the Michelin chart and driving 63 mph on the interstate instead of 65 mph.

Any way, I am not about to stop using Opti-Lube.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #13

There are so many variables in computing MPG. Diesels get worse miliage in cold weather and better in hot weather (reverse to gas motors). Slowing down definetly help MPG and probably more so than anything else. Wind changes MPG as does the way the driver runs the MH. Heavy acceleration coming onto to a freeway will lower it. Sometimes you can get better MPG in hills by letting the MH run without cruise control and let it build up speed going down hill so you get a partial free ride up the next hill.

The only way to prove that Opti-Lube helps MPG is to stop using it and continue to drive the same and see what happens.

If a gasoline motor is designed to run unleaded then putting in premium and doing nothing else will not increase power or gas mileage. If you use premium and advance the ignition timing then you will see an increase in power and MPG. The same thing goes for adding additives that say you can get better MPG...what has changed in that motor? NOTHING.... so it will not happen. These companies want your money so they claim all kinds of things. Do we really think that putting a magnet around a fuel line gives better gas mileage....they sell those magnets all over the place and people buy them. I think that Cummins, CAT and Detroit know more about diesel motors than we do and if they say no additives then I believe them. If it really gave 1-2 mpg increase then all the truckers would be using it all the time and it would be sold out at all the truck stops all the time.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Norm.......This is why I said I use it and it's a personal choice.......period! This discussion always generates some provocative OPINIONS as to why it's a waste of money. Generally, those OPINIONS are from someone who has never tried the product. I try a lot of products that I think have value.....some are worthless and some work well, but I'm not afraid to TRY them and admit if they're a waste of money. I've got 5 brands of wax in my cupboard. I can rate them from worse to best, but I couldn't do that without trying them. I feel my coach gets better mileage than most using the OptiLube, but more importantly, I'm after the lubricity.

I look at it this way......it's my motor home, my money and my decision. I was only answering the OP's question of...."Diesel Additives....Should I". I answered that I use them, not that the OP should or shouldn't and I didn't criticize anyone elses decision.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote