RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Getting ready for first winter with new (to us) coach and also first DP coach. Will winterize the plumbing side (live in Maryland) but not sure about the fuel side. Plan to top off prior to storage but will take a monthly road trip to exercise the generator and other systems. Do I need to add a fuel additive or if so what's the recommended type/brand? Thanks.

dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Getting ready for first winter with new (to us) coach and also first DP coach. Will winterize the plumbing side (live in Maryland) but not sure about the fuel side. Plan to top off prior to storage but will take a monthly road trip to exercise the generator and other systems. Do I need to add a fuel additive or if so what's the recommended type/brand? Thanks.

dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #3

If you top off your tanks at a busy truck stop (one that has a lot of traffic) they will already have an additive in it to keep from jelling. As long as the temperature is not super cold when you decide to take it out, like in the low teens, you should be OK. I have had diesel PU trucks for years and I have had the fuel jell up on me once when the temperature was below 0. I was lucky I was at work. I just pulled it inside and let it warm up for a couple of hours and it was OK again. Hope that helps, maybe someone else will have something to add. Good luck
Old 10-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If the diesel fuel is going to be in your RV's fuel tank for 4 months or longer, you might want to dose it with a biocide additive to prevent microbial/algae growth.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Consider checking out Stanadyne Performance Formula. Go here to learn about the product. The literature mentioned cold weather protection.

For different reasons than cold weather, I've been using the product for about 3 months and 3K miles. I am not ready to report the results yet, but the initial MPG reading I am getting are in line with their advertisement.

Lastly, don't forget to use your engine heater for the night before you start the engine.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM   #6

Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, are all great additives to use. I use Power Service in my Ford Powerstroke in the winter. I have never had an issue with my fuel gelling. The little extra additive will not hurt your rig. Some may say its an expense not worth it. I snowmobile in the winter. If my rig is parked at the parking lot and its 0 or below. I dont mind the small extra expense for piece of mind. Power Service is about $13.00 for enough additive for 300 gallons. Howes is about the same price, Stanadyne is a bit more. All 3 are great products.

I also use my motorhome in the winter. When its parked I do add Power Service to the last tank when it sits for 90 days.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:18 PM   #7

I had a similar concern and called Cummins. The on-line tech advised me that no additive was needed or recommended unless I was to store the coach in a southern climate with high humidity.
BHEMOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #8

If I'm going to be storing any petrofuel engine - from the MH to the lawnmower - for over a few weeks, I add an apppropriate amount of Sta-Bil to the fuel tank. I've spent WAY too many hours replacing fuel pumps and rebuilding carburetors / injectors simply because the fuel turned to Play-Doh. And the newer formulations of gasoline are even worse about decomposing.

As far as winterizing diesel - we don't do winter.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Norm, Question!

Have you been able to find Sta-Bil which is rated for diesel fuel. The old stuff I had specified diesel, in addition to gasoline on the list of fuels which could be treated. Everything I have found recently addresses only ethanol treated fuels, no mention of diesel.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #10

I haven't bought any in a couple of years. My case still has half a dozen bottles in it. Sorry - no help.

Um . . . - pasted from StaBil FAQ page:

Why does the STA-BIL product I use in my gasoline engine have a diesel additive compliance sticker on the side of the bottle?

On June 1, 2006, the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD) regulation went into effect. This regulation, mandated by the EPA, was created to reduce emissions in 2007 or newer model diesel vehicles by lowering the sulfur content of diesel fuel to less than 15 parts per million. This regulation requires that ALL diesel fuel additive products must be labeled or stickered stating whether the product complies with the new ULSD regulations (contains less than 15 ppm sulfur), or does not comply (contains more than 15 ppm sulfur). Because most of our current STA-BIL products do reference on the back label that they are safe to use in diesel fuel, these products must be stickered. STA-BIL does comply with the new ULSD regulation, containing less than 15 ppm sulfur.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I would follow the engine MFG. I think there plan is none. Surely not needed in this area. Alaska ??? Not Maryland.