Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #15

The problem with a half full tank is that it could allow condensation to form, which is the worst thing you want. With diesel and water, the interface is a perfact place for algae to grow.
I perfer to store our MH with full fuel and propane tanks. A full tank has less chance of algae to grow. The other reason for full tanks is that if things go haywire during the winter, we can always use the motorhome as a back up shealter.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I just got mine "ready". 16 oz of diesel stabil, and a full to the brim tank of ultra low sulfur diesel fuel.

I don't know about this #1 and #2 stuff, 'round these parts, there is only one diesel.... "Ultra low sulfur diesel fuel required by all on highway diesel engines and recommended for all diesel engines." if you can buy anything else around here I've never seen it.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I just got mine "ready". 16 oz of diesel stabil, and a full to the brim tank of ultra low sulfur diesel fuel.

I don't know about this #1 and #2 stuff, 'round these parts, there is only one diesel.... "Ultra low sulfur diesel fuel required by all on highway diesel engines and recommended for all diesel engines." if you can buy anything else around here I've never seen it.
In cold climes you won't even know if you're getting winter blend unless you ask and even then the clerk may not even know. It's just accepted practice.
#1, #2 and winter blend will all meet the same lubricity standards. You will lose some mileage with #1 and winter blends over #2 though, but at least you won't be stranded waiting for a tow if you get really cold weather.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
The problem with a half full tank is that it could allow condensation to form, which is the worst thing you want. With diesel and water, the interface is a perfact place for algae to grow.
I perfer to store our MH with full fuel and propane tanks. A full tank has less chance of algae to grow. The other reason for full tanks is that if things go haywire during the winter, we can always use the motorhome as a back up shealter.
Same here, my diesel gen takes about .72 gal per hour at full output and we have a 150 gal tank. The propane tank is 40 gal/32 usable. We can heat the MH using 1500 watt heaters while the gen is running and save the propane for cooking or cook on a electric fry pan.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #19

In colder climates I wouldn't worry very much about algae. I've did have a problem with it in south east Texas, warm and himid there. Keep tanks full there and I would also use an algae killer if not in use for a while.

We are planning to stay in Alaska until November and then head back south for the winter. I went by the local auto parts house yesterday and picked up a 80 oz. containte of Power Service 911. It treats 250 gallons. $24 Ok, it says it de-ices frozen fuel-filters, reliquefies gelled fuel, removes water, and is effective in biodiesel blends. It also contains SLICK-DIESEL for maximum fuel lubrication. It also says "ULSD FORMULA"

On the back of the container it says it will not harm diesel oxidation catalysts or diesel particulate filters on 2007 or newer engines. It complies with the federal low sulfur content requirements for use in diesel motor vehicles.

Ok, so now for the confusing part. The bottle says to use this product to reliquefy gelled fuel. 80 ounces to 100 gallons. Then it says to add Power Service Diesel Supplement + Cetane Boost as directed to prevent fuel gelling. The parts store here in Alaska doesn't have that product and the counter man says everybody uses the 911 for that. Well, that is what we always used.

Again, in my experience once you gelled the diesel in the fuel filters you had to change them out to get back to normal performance.

Added note. I have a friend at the Cummins Shop in Anchorage who says we should be adding this stuff, 911, every now and then for the Lubrication as the Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel doesen't lub as well as the old low sulfur. Bio-diesel lubricates better so it probably isn't as necessary if you get bio a lot.