RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Generator fuel leak questions

Last time I camped, I noticed a fuel leak (diesel) under the rear of the generator, driver's side. The spot was maybe a foot in diameter and not sopping wet when I checked it 3-4 days later

I don't know if the fuel is leaking only when I run the generator, or when I am running the engine as well.

We will be leaving for a winter camp working job in about 2 weeks with a drive of about 800 miles - 4 days driving for us.

Although I hope to get it fixed - is it safe to drive while running the generator OR at least without running the generator?

Input welcome.

My RV repair shop has referred me to yet another party and I still need to get the chassis service (oil change, etc) done and they are not sure if they can fix it.

Thanks,

Lee

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2015, 11:13 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We really can't say much till you know the source of the leak and when it leaks.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaldwin View Post
Last time I camped, I noticed a fuel leak (diesel) under the rear of the generator, driver's side. The spot was maybe a foot in diameter and not sopping wet when I checked it 3-4 days later

I don't know if the fuel is leaking only when I run the generator, or when I am running the engine as well.

We will be leaving for a winter camp working job in about 2 weeks with a drive of about 800 miles - 4 days driving for us.

Although I hope to get it fixed - is it safe to drive while running the generator OR at least without running the generator?

Input welcome.

My RV repair shop has referred me to yet another party and I still need to get the chassis service (oil change, etc) done and they are not sure if they can fix it.

Thanks,

Lee

Your coach is a close relative of mine. I had a very similar leak on my Onan 12.5 about a year ago. It turned out to be the fuel return line and it only leaked when the generator was running. The return line is rubber and a grommet had failed where the line went through an internal cabinet panel. The bad news is the work involved in taking the top, service side and back of the cabinet off to gain access.

The fuel line enters the generator cabinet on the bottom driver's side. The fuel lift pump is just inside the cabinet and the return line exits there also. Make sure those external fittings are tight. If they are you must open it up. It's such a labor intensive job to open up the cabinet, if you end up having it serviced, do the following items.
1. Drive belt.
2. Coolant hoses & coolant.
3. Valve adjustment.
4. Coolant temp sensor & oil pressure sensor.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The leaks sounds like in the area of the fuel filter but it is also directly below the injection pump. I would not drive and run generator without checking, the generator could be damaged.

There is a door on the bottom of the generator that you can easily open an look up at the connections. There is a flared nut fuel line connections that could be loose, you might try tightening.

There are 2 hoses coming from the fuel tank, supply and return, they come into the back of the generator and hose clamps could be loose, these are on the back of the generator drivers side.

If the leak is coming from above the fuel filter it is in the area of the injector pump but this can only be accessed by removing the side metal of the generator. If your generator isn't on a slide it would be difficult to remove as there are bolts all the way around (top, back, front, and bottom).
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My 7.5 KW Onan recently had a fuel leak after I changed the oil and filters. Finally found that the fittings to the fuel filter weren't tight enough. They are steel-on-steel flared nut fittings. They have to be really, really tight not to leak.
CadillLinc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Last year after I had Speedco service the generator I had a slow drip of diesel under the generator. They had failed to properly tighten the fuel line after replacing the fuel filter!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Last year after I had Speedco service the generator I had a slow drip of diesel under the generator. They had failed to properly tighten the fuel line after replacing the fuel filter!
Speedco near Portland OR? I had exactly the same problem in August. They changed the filter and a couple of weeks later the leak started. It leaked constantly, not just when running. As CadillLinc said, the fittings have to be really tight. It is a PITA to get to.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:15 AM   #8

On my 10K Onan the easy way to change the fuel filter is to remove the two bolts on the side of the cabinet that holds the filter bracket. Then pull the filter out the side service panel. There is enough extra lines to extend it out the side. That would be the easiest way to see if the flare nuts are leaking-or just change it. If your not near a C-Onan dealer just get it at NAPA. I'm headed to RM Cummins in Avondale Az for the service Steve told you about earlier as I want the valves adjusted. They quoted a flat rate of $550.00 for the job. Good luck.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 12-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
On my last MH (2003 w/7500) I had a leak in the same location and found that the lift pump (the electric one) housing was leaking. A new pump was needed. When I replaced the pump I also installed valves on the lines so I could shut off the fuel if I ever needed to in the future.
Dennis_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #10

The fuel filter fittings are actually brass on brass, unfortunately brass is much softer. You have to be extremely careful when tightening or loosening the lines not to "round off" the nuts. Actually the correct procedure would be to use a flare nut wrench. Unfortunately (at least on my 7.5) one of the lines is thicker than the nut making it impossible to use a flare nut wrench, (see pic).
Duoglide1-$550 seems like a steal if it includes everything on Steve's list and if that's parts and labor. I'm not sure about this but as I recall there are like (5?) different hoses. I would also add a new thermostat to this list. I had to pull my generator(no slide) at (4500hrs?) due to a leaking water pump. The hoses/belt were in surprisingly good shape I have owned it since 3000hrs but no service records before that so obviously can't tell what had been done previously. I was considering replacing the hoses but since the dealer did not have most of the hoses in stock and I was under a time crunch so I didn't replace them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1210151643a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	113854  
Old 12-10-2015, 07:44 PM   #11

I'm not sure if it's all that was on the list. I was mainly concerned with valves. I'll update next week on here.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 12-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #12

By the way to the OP, if I was at a shop that wasn't sure if they could fix a fuel leak I would have serious questions about about whether I was at the right shop.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
Speedco near Portland OR? I had exactly the same problem in August. They changed the filter and a couple of weeks later the leak started. It leaked constantly, not just when running. As CadillLinc said, the fittings have to be really tight. It is a PITA to get to.

This Speedco is in Tuscaloosa, AL.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, diesel, generator, fuel