Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The Chevron GAS station on the corner by my house was $4.25 last Sunday, and during the week it went up each day to now it is $4.49 9/10. deSanford PS my retirement didn't go up. With less money for the average person to spend on other things we could end up in another "great recession". I'm not really sure we are out of the one we were "in". deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Without getting into politics and political statements it's hard to discuss this issue. The more crude we produce from wells here, the faster pipelines other mechanisms can deliver crude here and the more coal and natural gas is used as an energy source the less inflation we'll have. Perhaps, even the so called "speculation" will taper off as oil/energy futures prices will be affected by increased availability.

To those that say that more drilling will not drop the price of fuel... well... sure... immediately that is. However the better we can extract, deliver and refine our fuel the better off we'll be. Fossil fuels need to be around until realistic, cost effective "green" solutions are developed. Meanwhile, clean diesel can be produced from our abundant coal sources... but someone has to invest in the technology and do it.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Gas Is High But Cheapest on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
The Chevron GAS station on the corner by my house was $4.25 last Sunday, and during the week it went up each day to now it is $4.49 9/10. deSanford PS my retirement didn't go up. With less money for the average person to spend on other things we could end up in another "great recession". I'm not really sure we are out of the one we were "in". deSanford
Howdy from Tokyo, free spirits!

Wanna talk price of gas? Come look at THESE pumps. Holy cow...

There was some predictable snark on the other gas prices thread, I set out to see what the truth is, using inflation-adjusted dollars, then labor-at-minimum wage as measures.

It was a fun exercise, albeit one that pales to burning a little diesel with DW and the puppies.

In the nutshell, Americans have always paid $2.85 a gallon for gas, since cars started to clog our dirt streets (not much infrastructure back then).

Price spikes were in 1981 and Summer 2008, the latter between $4 and $5 per gallon in today's bucks.

One of the lowest-ever prices came in January 2009, believe it or not.

Here's the whopper: minimum wage workers (since the 1938 law took effect) have consistently been able to buy a gallon of gas with 30 minutes' labor.

In the Lone Star state, minimum wage is $7.25. Gas is $3.46 this week in my little hamlet.

So, even at that inflated price, we're right on track.

Now, comes the REAL fun: our cars get TWICE the mileage, on the average, as those in the 1960s. So, even at high prices due to tension in the Mideast and seasonal swings, an hour at minimum wage today gets more miles than ever before.

Small consolation for those of us who choose to burn dead dinosaurs at the rate of a 1970s muscle car; but, that is our choice
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Diesel in Nova Scotia, Canada 1.38 Cdn/ltr or $5.22/ US Gal or $6.27/ Imp Gal. The US and Canadian dollar at par. Gas is a couple of cents/ltr cheaper than diesel.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post

There was some predictable snark on the other gas prices thread, I set out to see what the truth is, using inflation-adjusted dollars, then labor-at-minimum wage as measures.

It was a fun exercise, albeit one that pales to burning a little diesel with DW and the puppies.

In the nutshell, Americans have always paid $2.85 a gallon for gas, since cars started to clog our dirt streets (not much infrastructure back then).

Price spikes were in 1981 and Summer 2008, the latter between $4 and $5 per gallon in today's bucks.

Here's the whopper: minimum wage workers (since the 1938 law took effect) have consistently been able to buy a gallon of gas with 30 minutes' labor.

In the Lone Star state, minimum wage is $7.25. Gas is $3.46 this week in my little hamlet.

Now, comes the REAL fun: our cars get TWICE the mileage, on the average, as those in the 1960s. So, even at high prices due to tension in the Mideast and seasonal swings, an hour at minimum wage today gets more miles than ever before.

Small consolation for those of us who choose to burn dead dinosaurs at the rate of a 1970s muscle car; but, that is our choice
Nice Post! Although, injecting facts into and emotional discussion can have unintended consequences.

Seriously, I plan 50 cents a mile for fuel. If fuel goes from $4.00 to $5.00 I have to plan 62.5 cents per mile. On a 3000 mile trip the difference is $375.00. If you spend 10k a year on ownership costs, then 3 trips a year is a 10% change. While I don't like, it I'm not going to let it ruin the the joy of RVing.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

The 1950 Chevrolet 4door sedan I remember got around 24mpg. My dad's 1050 Chrysler got about 18-20 mpg on the highway trips we took to/from Long Island. a Buick about 20mpg. That's a full size car weighing in at around 4000# +. I don't know any such cars getting 40mpg these days... perhaps a Fiat 500 or a Prius but that's comparing oranges to grapes.
1950 Chrysler (U.S.) Windsor Sedan specs, performance, photo & data
1950 Buick 50 (Super) Sedan specs, performance, photo & data
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Those vintage of cars were more like 14-16 mpg as I remember it. My 48 Dodge 6 cylinder coupe was 16 mpg, but that had a fluid clutch and wasn't the most efficient. My 56 Olds rarely saw 16 on a good day, and my 62 Pontiac Bonnevile ragtop ran pretty much at 14 mpg whether town or country. Ditto for a 66 Firebird. I had a '74 Datsun 260Z stick shift that got 24 mpg pretty consistently, though. And an 60's vintage Fiat 850 Spyder that ran 38-42 mpg!
My 2007 Acadia gets 14 mpg in town and 19 mph highway, so not a lot of improvement over the 60's (though it is a 4900 lb vehicle).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Exceptions Are The Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
The 1950 Chevrolet 4door sedan I remember got around 24mpg. My dad's 1050 Chrysler got about 18-20 mpg on the highway trips we took to/from Long Island. a Buick about 20mpg. That's a full size car weighing in at around 4000# +. I don't know any such cars getting 40mpg these days... perhaps a Fiat 500 or a Prius but that's comparing oranges to grapes.
That's some great mileage. Of course, we need to look at averages, and not individual cars. 'Remember VW bugs in the 1960s? High mileage, but there weren't many out there. My little 600D was so rare in 1974 that virtually all my friends had never even heard of the car 'til they saw mine.

So, it's the average. HERE is a good place to start, you'll see the steep upswing in mileage, just in the last 5 decades. And, as the publishers point out, better attained mileage due to better roads, as America developed a more efficient infrastructure.

So, the charts steep rise is multiplied by more efficient usage: if we could poll Americans' average gas consumption on the basis of miles driven, it would exagerate the difference even more.

(Many cars now get 40 mpg or better. Article is here. Lots that aren't listed do, when driven carefully (hypermiling techniques excluded).)
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Those vintage of cars were more like 14-16 mpg as I remember it. My 48 Dodge 6 cylinder coupe was 16 mpg, but that had a fluid clutch and wasn't the most efficient. My 56 Olds rarely saw 16 on a good day, and my 62 Pontiac Bonnevile ragtop ran pretty much at 14 mpg whether town or country. Ditto for a 66 Firebird. I had a '74 Datsun 260Z stick shift that got 24 mpg pretty consistently, though. And an 60's vintage Fiat 850 Spyder that ran 38-42 mpg!
My 2007 Acadia gets 14 mpg in town and 19 mph highway, so not a lot of improvement over the 60's (though it is a 4900 lb vehicle).
Ditto here, but I am talking about pure highway driving, not a mix... e.g out of the city to the highway then back in thru another city.

My Buick Enclave gets 20-22 on a pure highway trip; 14-16 in local trips, unless traffic drives that figure even lower.

My point is, not to split hairs about 16, 18 or 20 mpg but rather that the cars of today are marginally better, if at all. And the 10% alcohol in most gasoline only makes things worse. It's nothing less than exaggeration to say that today's cars get twice the mpg of those of yesteryear.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
That's some great mileage. Of course, we need to look at averages, and not individual cars. 'Remember VW bugs in the 1960s? High mileage, but there weren't many out there. My little 600D was so rare in 1974 that virtually all my friends had never even heard of the car 'til they saw mine.

So, it's the average. HERE is a good place to start, you'll see the steep upswing in mileage, just in the last 5 decades. And, as the publishers point out, better attained mileage due to better roads, as America developed a more efficient infrastructure.

So, the charts steep rise is multiplied by more efficient usage: if we could poll Americans' average gas consumption on the basis of miles driven, it would exagerate the difference even more.

(Many cars now get 40 mpg or better. Article is here. Lots that aren't listed do, when driven carefully (hypermiling techniques excluded).)
Your reference... " HERE " is an activist political group... I thought we weren't going to get into politics ...
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Your reference... " HERE " is the PEW Environment Group an activist political organization... I thought we weren't going to get into politics ...
Old 02-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Went out for a drive with the wife and looking at the "signs" of the time (gas station prices) it looks like a horse race with diesel in the lead today......$4.79 9/10s. deSanford it's a good thing I got a new motorhome with only a 100 gallon tank compared with my old one that had a 150 gallon diesel tank.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Diesel Here in Canyon Lk TX area up from the $3,70's to the $3.80's. I recall a few months ago when we were in the San Diego area diesel was not much higher than that... around $4 if I recall.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr12 View Post
I everyone quit buying from Exxon Mobile,, would the price go down?
No.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel