Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Diesel Smell from AquaHot Bay

I have a diesel smell coming from the AquaHot bay and I can't figure out its origin. I don't see any leaking fuel inside the compartment, on the equipment or under the coach. The smell leaks up into the water closet quite strongly. Suggestions?

Edward Maznio
2001 Monaco Dynasty 40 with Tag
EMaznio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

I have smelled that diesel fuel smell coming from the Aqua Hot bay on every MH I have stuck my nose in including mine. I have washed the compartment with 409 and if is still there. If you get a heavy diesel exhaust smell and maybe a little black smoke when it is running then it is time for a fuel nozzle change. The precision jet hole in the nozzle wears from fuel running through it and then they run rich and smell.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Would guess that your unit is starting to run rich so you have unburnt fuel that you are smelling, check out this web site, if it is Aqua Hot related they will have the answer.

RV Hydronic Heater Forum
Lee0920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
My Windsor was eight years old when purchased 2 years ago. It had seen very little use and what use it did see did not often involve the Aqua Hot. The Diesel smell was almost overpowering. When we started using the Aqua Hot on a regular basis the smell diminished.

A problem discovered and corrected during the initial service was that the air/fuel mixture adjustment was biased toward too little air and too much fuel. Correcting that, along with a nozzle change and combustion chamber cleaning, pretty much eliminated the Diesel odor which supports Mike's and Lee's observations above.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just went through a similar problem with my 2002 Dynasty Regal Tag. It turned out to be the fuel pump was leaking causing the problem. If yours has the original cast style pump they are very prone to leaks and when most rebuild them they replace them with the new billet pump that is widely available. I disassembled mine twice thinking it was the bango fittings leaking but what it turned out to be was the front fuel pump seal blowing a lot of extra fuel into the combustion chamber making an excessively rich mixture, the smell was overbearing, weird thing is the exhaust was never colored but it did smell rich to me. I never saw fuel anywhere until I removed the Aquahot cover and there was some fuel on the bottom of the case, with the pump leak the fan will blow most of it into the combustion chamber and despite what one may think it doesn't run all over. I agree, a plugged fuel nozzle could give you similar symptoms especially if the nozzle is one of a bad run of nozzles that was out there a few years ago that didn't seal when seated, there was a problem with the way the mating surface was radiused. Roger Burke and I beat our heads against the wall for a while on it, he thought it was the pump from the get go, I was pretty convinced after I had it out a couple of times, and he was right. I replaced the pump and the smell is gone. The convincing point for me was with the cover off when the system fired I could see some fine drops exiting around the flange on the combustion chamber. Just a thought, hope it helps.
Brent
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mine has a bit of diesel smell, too, FWIW.

On a side note, I think diesel has a fine smell. The finest being JP-5 mixed with an overtone of MilSpec turbine oil on a slightly warm (from previous day) J79. Diesel being its close cousin. DW even likes it's charming aroma. I will admit that not all are entranced by its exotic nose.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #7

Yes Jim got to agree with on the scent of JP it is almost as good as burning methanol. Brings tears to the eyes.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
it is almost as good as burning methanol. Brings tears to the eyes.
Literally! You crack me up...
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #9

Not talking about meth. Talking about methanol alcohol racing fuel. Just want to make sure everybody understands that.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone! I've left the AquaHot running for a couple days and it now runs with very little exhaust smoke and the smell is pretty much gone (to my satisfaction). Initially, it spewed out lots of black smoke and soot onto the ground in chunks. I think I have that behind me now. Thanks again!
EMaznio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have been parked next to aqua hot units a couple of times. Ihoughts of a potato up their tail pipe crossed my mind.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, smell