Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Dim headlights

I know this topic has been discussed multiple times and I tried searching for the proper thread but I cannot locate it. Preparing my Spring improvement list and I would like to add the relays in the headlight circuit that many others have. Some time ago I found a thread that had video links that demonstrated the process. Also, if someone has the relay parts numbers that they can share I would appreciate it

Thanks everyone!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:53 PM   #2

Some info here... http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/high...me-379629.html
Old 02-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Kurt

Unfortunately what I am looking for is a bit different. I am looking to wire my headlights through relays to elievate the low voltage issue that causes dimmer headlights

Thanks for the quick reply
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #4

Steven-

Here is a link to a Web page on the topic.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #5

Steven - what Mark said. ^^ Here is what I posted in the thread I referenced.
"When we got our 99 you would have gotten more light on the road with candles than from the factory headlights. I used Daniel Sterns stuff ( Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply ) to ad relays, make the low beams stay on when the high beams come on, and got some good advice on upgrading the bulbs. I also replaced the pos Tyco knock-off headlamps Monaco installed with some new oem stuff. All together, it made for an impressive upgrade."
Old 02-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Dim headlights

May or may not apply to your Monaco and I haven’t had time to look but search “beaver headlight fix“on you tube .. there is a video that may be helpful but it’s for a beaver marquis same idea and same family It adds the relays you ask about simply for just a few bucks .. less than $20 all in wire connectors and a couple cheap relays ..
Old 02-21-2018, 04:18 AM   #7

Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP. They have the harness and relays available as a unit. They also have Hella e-code replacement headlights.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you everyone!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #9
YC1

https://www.google.com/search?q=dim+...earch=irv2.com

Here are enough links to make your headlights go out! Have fun reading.

There are lots of youtube videos available.

The relays are usually available at automotive stores. Often referred to as "Bosh" relays.
Attached Files

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #10

I'm having a shop in Bend, OR next month do the headlight relay upgrade. Will have them install new headlights as well, as the original ones have yellowed and glazed over the years. Might even throw in some LED's to see how they look. As others have said, there's a video on YouTube showing how this shop does the relay upgrade in the drivers side front 12 volt electrical bay.

The headlights on this coach have been worthless from day one. I'll report back with the results which we are anxious to see.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Appreciate the feedback on what they do and the results.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Just had my local tech come by the house to do some 'stuff' we've been collecting to get fixed and he asked if I wanted him to buff the lights... They are BETTER than new - and he added some upgraded bulbs so we'll see how they do tonight.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #13

We just got back from Bend with the new headlights. Turns out our coach has a different wiring run for the 12 volt system. The wires terminate in a large circuit board and makes it nearly impossible to add relays. We have nearly 12 volts going to the headlights anyway. So, they just polished out the glazing on the old assemblies and we ended up going with 55 watt 5000K Kensun HID 9007 lights. 9007 (HB5) bulbs have the lo and hi beam in one bulb so the HID is only on the lo beam with a halogen on the high beam. Installed new Hella driving lights as well.

The shop perfectly aligned the lights and the difference is amazing. They turn the road in front of you into daylight and not one vehicle flashed me. Would have liked the headlights aimed a little higher but for now it works. Was worried how the lights would look but they work like they were made for those assemblies. No scatter, nice cutoff off at the top with even lighting throughout the beam. Can't recommend these lights enough.

Going down to Bend we lost all lights on the Toad. Ended up having to replace the controller, new 7 pin receptacle, power cord, basically the whole enchilada. The headlight upgrade was done before lunch. Took the shop awhile to figure out what was happening with the Toad lighting. They ended up just tearing everything out in the back of the coach and starting fresh.
snowman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights