Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid...rt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Incredible thread on total destruction of a 2000 Diplomat that blew out a front tire last week. No injuries!
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid...rt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Incredible thread on total destruction of a 2000 Diplomat that blew out a front tire last week. No injuries!
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Gulp, I'm checking my tire pressures today and saying a couple of extra prayers!
Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #4

Read that last evening and I tell you it makes me want to reevaluate how I do things. From the speed I drive to how we store and secure things.
I printed the story out last night so my wife could read it because she does drive some. Thank God the couple survived the wreck with very little injury.
Hope it didn't ruin their enthusiasm for RVing.
Letsgoagain
Old 12-30-2007, 06:11 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow!! Those folks really did have a guardian angel along. Time to secure all those loose objects I have in the MH.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Whew, okay...I aired up the tires! I broke in the brand new air hose and used the MH's air. Worked great. I found out that you had to lower the air volume enough to make the compressor kick back on once you've used enough air in the tanks that it can't overcome the air in the tires. Lesson learned and no big deal. I've been wanting to do that for quite some time and and should have, as some of the tires were ten lbs low. I learned that there is a tire air presssure chart in my Cheetah book for different pressures for different tires. You don't use the MAX pressure written on the tire. You use the pressure listed on the chart for the weight on each tire from the motorhome. You probably allready knew that. The Max pressure on the tires were listed at around 125 lbs. It would have taken a long time to fill them at that pressure. Luckily the chart only listed around 102 lbs. I thought the tires looked pretty full before I started, but they are pretty tough duty. I'm glad I did it as we are leaving here on Wednesday to go the dog shows in Indio, CA
Happy trails,
AK
Old 01-14-2008, 06:21 AM   #7

Something we all should review for tire failures. This was posted on the MCOA site quite awhile ago and is a real eye opener. Tire blows, step on the gas, get steering control, then slowly ease up on throttle to slow down. Also, slowly drive on failed wheel to safe pull out area.

Seeing is believing at:

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...deos-demos.jsp

View the deliberate blowouts on: RV - The Critical Factor

My wife also drives and we try and review these procedures on each trip. If we get vibration and a loud bang we hope to remember to step on the gas and not the brake!

Good Luck and Happy Travels,

jimlawman

2006 Camelot
jimlawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
jimlawman...
May I remind you that you are eligible to have some "Monaco Owners" Karma added below your log-on name to the left side? It doesn't look like you post often...but you do post some helpful information ...so I think we would love to see you post more often!

I hope you say "Karma please" ...and when you do... Ronboc or I will be there to take care of it!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Everyone needs to check their air pressure before they hit the road if you don't have a tire pressure monitor system. We had a leaky extension hose on one of our outside duals. It would loose about 10 lbs in 24 hours.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Yippee,
We just had our coach weighed at all four corners when we were at the Indio FMCA Rally.
We were within specs on our weights and were one of only two coaches who had them loaded correctly! Actually I believe that GoneFishin' was the other coach. Congrats Mic and Rick! irv2 strikes again!!!!!
We also bought a "Pressure Pro" there to monitor the pressures in the cabin. It also alarms when the air pressures are too low.
Thanks for the post Lukea.
Now safe and sound,
AKBrick