RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I promised Diplomat Don that I would post his Genturi Project Pictures when we met at the water tower a little over a week ago...He should be around a little later to describe the photos...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Will a Moderator please put this in the Monaco Quick Tips and Easy Mods section? I was in that section when I started a "New" Discussion..yet it ends up out here...
Thanks..

Old 09-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quoting Onan below.

re: Tail pipe extensions? NH Spec P
by: Ask Onan Moderator 5/06/04 2:13 PM

Ned, your exhaust should not be routed upward. There is the possibility of exhaust fumes entering the vehicle through an open window or a leaky window, door, or vent openings--which can endanger the occupants' lives. For your safety, we strongly recommend against using these extensions.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The problem is that at alot of dog shows we do, they INSIST on vertical exhaust. Don't want exhaust going into someone else's set-up.

Karen

Ned, your exhaust should not be routed upward. There is the possibility of exhaust fumes entering the vehicle through an open window or a leaky window, door, or vent openings--which can endanger the occupants' lives. For your safety, we strongly recommend against using these extensions.[/QUOTE]
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm terrible at posting photos so MonacoMama posted the above.

The first photo is a plate I made that holds the "dog eared" bracket. The second is the bracket.

I wanted to support the Genturi without attaching anything to the outside of the motor home. The bracket is a wood gate hinge that fits in the opening between the two door panels. I welded a length of metal to the hinge. I put a u-bolt on the Genturi and then drilled two holes in the bracket and used wingnuts to secure the two together.

I welded the exhaust tip provided by Genturi onto my exhaust and then adjusted the the u-bolt so it took the pressure off of the exhaust pipe when everything was connected.

Finally, I wanted to retain a chrome tip so I found one that fit over the Genturi tip and made it so it was just a slip on and off set-up when the Genturi was not in use.

YES....I understand about exhaust fumes! Thanks for your concern.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Will a Moderator please put this in the Monaco Quick Tips and Easy Mods section?
...... Unfortunately, if this entire discussion gets moved to the "Quick Tips & Mods" posts, it'll lose a lot of its unique visibility in with the rest of the great tips/mods. I put a 'bookmark' post in there to reference this discussion. Hope that helps.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
I'm terrible at posting photos so MonacoMama posted the above.

The first photo is a plate I made that holds the "dog eared" bracket. The second is the bracket.

I wanted to support the Genturi without attaching anything to the outside of the motor home. The bracket is a wood gate hinge that fits in the opening between the two door panels. I welded a length of metal to the hinge. I put a u-bolt on the Genturi and then drilled two holes in the bracket and used wingnuts to secure the two together.

I welded the exhaust tip provided by Genturi onto my exhaust and then adjusted the the u-bolt so it took the pressure off of the exhaust pipe when everything was connected.

Finally, I wanted to retain a chrome tip so I found one that fit over the Genturi tip and made it so it was just a slip on and off set-up when the Genturi was not in use.

YES....I understand about exhaust fumes! Thanks for your concern.
LOL, make me one too!! Same size and colour!! Great Idea, DD! This past weekend while we were sweating to the oldies and spending the kid's inheritance, we had to runt he genset for hours at a time. So did the neighbor. As with yours, ours vented downward, and we still got a lot of fumes in the RV. I like your design! Is the main shaft going upward insulated?
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Excellent project DD, . I'm gonna ck out my set up in the AM and see if I can copy your design, or do something close. Back in the OLD days Onan had a problem with people tampering with their exhaust designs, simply because longer exhausts were burning up pistons and valves. not so now with the Genturi design, of course Onan will still not endorse the design, I guess it's a liability thingy.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Has anyone used the Genturi where your Generator exhaust is just below your slideout? I assume you would have to extend the pipe to clear the slideout? Just wondering if anyone has done this or seen one.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Great job on the bracket modification. With the design of the Genturi, the way it pulls in fresh air with the exhaust, I can't see how it would be a problem. Keep the windows closed on that side when it is running, should be OK.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don,
Good job. GREAT idea supporting the tube with the hinge, very clever. My doors open differently than yours but I did modify the door behind the curb side basement that opens the same way and might be able to copy you again. Thanks for the post.

BTW, how many hours did you spend polishing those wheels???

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
That's a great setup!

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nice bracket DipD!
Right now I'm putting the support hooks on the molding lip between the top of the drivers side wall and the electrical compartment. I'm using rubber tape on the hooks so they won't chip the paint. I just havn't had the courrage to drill holes in the side of my coach for the hook eye brackets. I actually used suctions cups until an rver pointed out that the Genturi had fallen over onto my slide. . The suction cups came loose while it was running. Luckily there was no harm done. I just had to wipe off some carbon from the top of the slideout side. Thank goodness the exhaust had cooled down enough before it hit the paint! So yes, it doescool down.

I like your idea of having no wieght on your exhaust pipe.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
BTW, how many hours did you spend polishing those wheels???
I can't answer that...but I can tell you we were probably there about 90 minutes after DipD had pulled into the RV park...and he already had his windshield spotless after driving at least 7 hours

MM