Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Dirk: Sorry about that, bad choice of terminology. I used the term "autoformer" to describe a system that boosts low and reduces high voltages, plus polarity issues, etc. IMO, the term "autoformer" has become a generic term like "Kleenex", since Hughes was the first out with this type of unit. In other forums, the term autoformer is used to describe all different brands of equipment.

I do know that Progressive makes a surge protector AND a separate EMS unit. Their EMS unit also has the surge protector built in. Their surge protector, as a stand alone unit, goes for around $100, and their EMS unit goes for around $400. The OP was asking about using a surge protector only. His link is to the Progressive surge protector. My recommendation is to use a surge protector AND some type of EMS unit.

If you purchase a Progressive unit, you do not need to add a surge protector. If you purchase a Hughes unit, you might be safer adding an additional surge protector. I am not sure about the Franks's unit or the PowerMaster unit.

All the units have high voltage "cut off" where the unit is shut down if the voltage gets too high. But, in the case of a voltage spike, like from a lightning strike, the spike can travel through the unit into the RV before the unit can shut down the spike. According to user reports on RV.net, the Hughes unit will not let the lightning strike through, but the unit is basically destroyed, requiring shipping back to the factory for repairs - at least the RV electronics are saved. I, for one, do not want to test this out for myself! Do you know how the Progressive unit responds to sudden spikes, like a lightning strike?

In CG's, I have seen low voltage, high voltage, inconsistent voltage, open grounds, open neutrals, etc. - including variations when the CG's toilets were flushed. Just about every electrical problem you can imagine. And, my Hughes system has operated flawlessly. But, luckily I have never experienced a lightning strike hitting the CG's electrical system.

Now that I am thinking about it, I have looked at the lightning surge protection for commercial and residential buildings and they seem simple in design, but require a direct connection to a ground rod. I really don't know if a surge protector in an RV would stop a lightning strike. Anybody have experience with this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
Dirk: Sorry about that, bad choice of terminology. I used the term "autoformer" to describe a system that boosts low and reduces high voltages, plus polarity issues, etc. IMO, the term "autoformer" has become a generic term like "Kleenex", since Hughes was the first out with this type of unit. In other forums, the term autoformer is used to describe all different brands of equipment.

Now that I am thinking about it, I have looked at the lightning surge protection for commercial and residential buildings and they seem simple in design, but require a direct connection to a ground rod. I really don't know if a surge protector in an RV would stop a lightning strike. Anybody have experience with this?
The terms can be confusing, surge protector, EMS, autoformer. Many new RVer's think only of surge protectors, not knowing that EMS units exist and their superiority to surge protectors.

There has been some discussion about lightning protection in the past, and a major concern was driving a ground rod at a campsite not knowing where the utilities are buried. Fortunately lightning is a rare problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:40 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Hello All,

Thanks for all of the great information related to surge protection, I am convinced that sugre protection is needed especially when traveling the country. Just got off the phone with Progressive Industries and Purchased the 50 amp hard wired surge and voltage protection. I will feel much better with my Diplomat protected.
Thanks. SuEMS-LCHW50Crge Protector with Voltage Protection
Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #18

Hansville, you have make a very wise decision to have the surge protector installed.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hanesville:

I have the unit installed on my coach which you just purchased. It is easy to install and is worth every penny. This unit has saved possible damage to my coach a couple of times in the last year.

Good luck and regards

UFO Chassis
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote