Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Do I need a surge protector for my Monaco?

Do any of you guys know about surge protectors? I am a new owner of an 04 Diplomat and not sure if my motorhome has a surge protector built into my unit. I have 50 amp service, is there some type of adaptor that I can attach to the big cord to protect against power surges? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hansville,
Here is a very clean installation in an 07 Dip. SFT owned by one of our members

Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #3

Hansville

I would not leave town without the surge protection. In addition to the surge protection the Progressive unit cks for high/low voltage, mis-wired post and other items. Mine has saved me several times. Mine in mounted just in front of the wire wheel on the floor of the compartment. No problem in mounting the unit. Pretty easy to install yourself or you can buy a portable one. Cost under $400. s/Toby.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Hansville......You have a lot pricey electronics on your coach and the Surge Protector is cheap insurance. I installed a permanently mounted Surge Guard unit that I purchased on line. If I were to do it again, I would by the Progressive Industries model. It has more features.

The install is fairly easy if you're handy. If you go with the permanently mounted model (I think these are less hassle than the portable) you'll need a piece three foot piece of 4 lead wire that matches your 50amp cable. It's available at Home Depot or Lowes.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have had one for about 6 years. The most common problem I run into is voltage over 133V (I have seen 147 volts in Mexico) and open grounds. The surge protector will not let me connect to these outlets. I also like it when a lightning storm suddenly appears at 3 AM and I don't have to go out in the rain and unplug to protect my TV and microwave.
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We use the portable type. I wish I had the hard wire type. I need to look closely at our camelot to see if it can be done. Wireing comes out a little door. A Must to have one..
Old 04-03-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS 34 View Post
We use the portable type. I wish I had the hard wire type. I need to look closely at our camelot to see if it can be done. Wireing comes out a little door. A Must to have one..
Wouldn't hook up without one. We bought the portable 50A model by Surge Guard and place it inside the electric bay and run a 50A extension cord from their to the pedestal. CW has the 50A ext cords in the 15-30ft range.(No we haven't noticed any voltage loss with the ext cord)
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies on the need for surge protectors. I recently read a posting from a couple in Florida that did not have surge protection when a power surge came along and did damage to their RV's electrical system. I found one that simply plugs in line with the big cord that goes to the campground's electrical box for only $99.
http://www.tweetys.com/50-amp-portable-surge.aspx
Do you guys think this will do the job?
Thanks.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Personally, I have a lot of electronic equipment on board. With most of today's equipment (plus your AC units), brown outs can cause as much problems as surges. Brown outs are the opposite of surges, they are a reduction in voltage. For this reason, I have been using a Hughes Autoformer for years and have not had any problems. Today's "autoformer" type of units provide low and high voltage protection. They are suspect to "spikes" like a local lightning strike - while they will protect your coach, they may burn themselves out and need to be sent back to the factory for repair.

IMO, probably the ultimate protection would be the combination of a surge protector plus an autoformer, with the surge protector nearer to the post. That way, in case of an extreme spike, the surge protector would clamp it and your autoformer would not be damaged.

With that being said, I have heard that the economy has not been kind to Hughes and they have closed. I believe that there are two other companies that make autoformers for RV's, Progressive and Henry's.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hansville,

I have a Progressive Industries hardwired surge protector in my Camelot and couldn't be happier. I installed it prior to a trip to Mexico and it came in very handy. Had several high voltage incidents that could have been very costly without it. I just returned from a trip and had a technical problem with my HWC-50C, and Progresive Industries couldn't have been more helpful. I was getting a reverse polarity error after having used the the electric source for more than a day. Tech support gave me a few things to try with no luck. Turns out that one of the circuit boards had failed. I was able to contiue by using the bypass switch while still having over voltage protection. They called back next morning (I called during closed hours with prompt call back) to get my mailing address and express mailed a new board.

Great product great support
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Scott: Do you have Progressive's autoformer, or their surge protector? I thought only their autoformer had circuit boards.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneLee View Post
Scott: Do you have Progressive's autoformer, or their surge protector? I thought only their autoformer had circuit boards.
Progressive doesn't make an autoformer.

They make a surge protector and the EMS voltage/surge protection unit which is the preferred protection system and it does have a circuit board.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I added one a few months after I got the RV.

2008 Monaco Cayman 38PBD
Up N Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacsTC View Post
Hansville,
Here is a very clean installation in an 07 Dip. SFT owned by one of our members
This is what we have (after seeing RobinM's setup). Can't recommend this enough.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote