Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Docking lamps wiring

I own a 2007 Monaco Knight 40' DFT that is not equipped with docking lights but I would like to add them. I have 2 questions:
1. What would be the best position for these lamps both front and rear?
2. Might I find the coach pre wired for these lamps and if yes, where might I locate the wiring?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2016, 04:21 PM   #2

What are you going to do with the docking lights? Are you actually going to BACK into a space at night or are you going to use them to light the area to the side of the coach as you make a sharp turn into an unlit street or drive? Our Tiffin has dock lights that point toward the rear and they are useless for sharp turns into a drive or dark road. I added a set of bright LED side viewing lights and they work great. We seldom back into dark spaces with the rig as we travel with a toad and when on the road do not stay at RV parks.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with Pigman1, I have them and cannot find a decent use for them. not bright enough to light an area. Have tried to use them when BBQ'ing with little success. I think some nice LED area lights would be a better focus.
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomckeon View Post
I agree with Pigman1, I have them and cannot find a decent use for them. not bright enough to light an area. Have tried to use them when BBQ'ing with little success. I think some nice LED area lights would be a better focus.

Gentlemen... You make good sense. Though having some extra light while backing up would be nice, having lights to light up the campsite would be more practical/useful. Still, how does one wire these up?

Old 10-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
What are you going to do with the docking lights? Are you actually going to BACK into a space at night or are you going to use them to light the area to the side of the coach as you make a sharp turn into an unlit street or drive? Our Tiffin has dock lights that point toward the rear and they are useless for sharp turns into a drive or dark road. I added a set of bright LED side viewing lights and they work great. We seldom back into dark spaces with the rig as we travel with a toad and when on the road do not stay at RV parks.

Might you be able to show or identify the side light you purchased and tell me how you wired them in?

Old 10-27-2016, 05:00 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
'06 Endeavor here, so things may be a bit different between the models.

From what I've seen & heard, however, the wiring for each model is pretty-much standard. IOW, if an '07 Windsor could be had with dock lites, you probably will have the wiring as part of the initial build cycle.

My lites are in the lower panel directly in front of the rear wheels, and go to a switch on the driver-side dashboard.

As noted, they do seem to be pretty useless where they're pointing, as they aim out at an angle. Probably be better to install bigger lites, and maybe 180* ones, to illuminate the sides. And a set of 'real' backup lites for reversing into a CG site.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Still, how does one wire these up?
I'd start by seeing if your Knight may have the wires already installed for this service.

Go to your Front Distribution Panel, remove the cover and look for connector C415. It's a six-pin connector on the middle-right, below the relays. The circuit board should be marked "C415 - RELAY INT." Take a pad of paper and write down the colors of the wires and their pin positions in the connector. The "correct" pin numbers are these:

Code:
upper left   6   3
             5   2
             4   1   lower right
If the wires happen to be white, but have markings on them, write down the markings.

Come back and tell us what you found.

If there are wires in positions 3 and/or 6, then you probably have the wiring in your coach in the area where you want to install side or rear docking lights. Buy matching connectors, wire them to your lights and you'll be done!
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
I'd start by seeing if your Knight may have the wires already installed for this service.

Go to your Front Distribution Panel, remove the cover and look for connector C415. It's a six-pin connector on the middle-right, below the relays. The circuit board should be marked "C415 - RELAY INT." Take a pad of paper and write down the colors of the wires and their pin positions in the connector. The "correct" pin numbers are these:

Code:
upper left   6   3
             5   2
             4   1   lower right
If the wires happen to be white, but have markings on them, write down the markings.

Come back and tell us what you found.

If there are wires in positions 3 and/or 6, then you probably have the wiring in your coach in the area where you want to install side or rear docking lights. Buy matching connectors, wire them to your lights and you'll be done!

Thanks so much for some very specific and helpful info. Am laid up now with knee replacement surgery but will get on this in hopefully a few weeks.

Thanks again to all for your insights.

Stan

Old 10-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Stan and Jacquie, Although not the brand I bought these are very close. Motorcycle LED Light, LED Strobe Light, Motorcycle Underglow, LED strobe, Automotive Accent Light, Underbody Neon Lighting, Indoor LED Lights - XKglow.com

My set came with wire harness, a switch and a power repay. Hooked +12 power to a major tap under the front cap, the relay was zip tied to a convenient bundle and the switch run through the firewall to a blank spot on the dash. The lights were cut into the front cap about 34" off the ground and as far aft as possible.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Pigman: Many thanks. I am assuming you use your lights for cornering purposes and/or lighting up your campsite. Your response is most appreciated.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You can try this web site for side docking lights. My docking lights came with the coach and are just in front of the rear axle. They are halogen. I'm waiting for one of them to burn out and I'll change either the bulb of the entire fixture to LED. They are pointed rearward.

Products Archive - ITC RV
I also have the lights up high on the rear of coach--again stock lights but they were halogen. I changed the bulbs only out to LED. Much brighter than before, but still not enough light.

I added 2 more LED's under the trailer hitch, facing rearward. They are low enough that they will not blind someone standing behind the coach, but they put out a lot of light.
I got them at m4LED
YF1012-15W-Flood

They are bright. The reason I have so many and so bright is mainly because at home where I keep the coach, I have to back it in the driveway. The driveway is quite narrow, gates at the street, and I have to make an 'S' turn around another gate, avoiding planters and a couple of trees. It is really nice to be able see everything.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
Am laid up now with knee replacement surgery but will get on this in hopefully a few weeks.
While you're laid up you may want to contact Monaco Tech Support (877-466-6226) and ask if they have documentation on CD for your 2007 Knight. You should also ask for CDs for similar HR/Safari models, if they have them, and for copies of your coach's build sheet and original window sticker.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Great ideas..Many thanks!

Old 10-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #14

Yeah, cornering only. The lights are BRIGHT so if I ever tried to use them to light up a campsite after dark, I expect I'd have some irate neighbors come to see me with their hatchets. (LOL) We do use them pulling out of campsites in the early AM. We like to get on the road 2 hours or so before dawn when trying to make miles. On my setup the lights on both sides come on with the single switch, but once out of the twisty-turneys I double check to be sure that they're off. I expect there's a law someplace about very bright "cornering" lights staying on all the time.

Tags
wiring