RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

Docking Lights '04 Dynasty

I have a 2004 Monaco Dynasty and would like to upgrade the "docking lamps" on the side of the coach. The back up lamps on the rear of the coach (also incorporated in the docking lamps) are quite adequate but the four lamps on the side are a joke. In looking around at other coaches I see that the Monaco Windsor has a recessed lamp that is directed towards the rear of the coach but have never witnessed them in operation at dark. Recently while getting service in Wildwood Florida, I noticed a Fleetwood product with a smaller and more modern style lamp but I don't know how much light it emits. If I go to the trouble to upgrade, I do want it to make a difference and really light up the area. I also see some marine applications on the net that are recessed and at angle design, of which I think would be desirable, but again not sure of the amount of light they produce.

Any suggestions from any one in the forum that have witness to a great lighting system to use when docking in a strange, dark, and unfamiliar park would be greatly appreciated. The older I get, the more I like good lighting.

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
1965 Corvair Sport Sedan Toad (on trailer)

PAPA J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Because I use my docking lights so infrequently, I find them disorienting as I view whatever it is that they are illuminating. But what they DO seem to illuminate well is the person who is out there ... directing me into my spot. So my "rule" is that I get out of the rig and thoroughly investigate what I'm backing into (especially looking for high tree limbs, etc.), then armed with this visual info, I can add some trust to what my assistant (DW) is telling me to do.

Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Cant help with docking lights but Love your Toad!
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Retired Senior Member

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the incandescent bulbs with LEDs and they seem to give more lumens. They do, however, really "glare" your eyes if you glance directly at them.
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After buying our first motorhome in the late fall, more than 20 years ago now, we just had to plan a trip to use it. We ended up at our Florida panhandle destination (Fort Pickens, if I remember correctly) well after dark. Lacking any docking lights, and finding the handheld lantern my wife was trying to help with totally useless for the job, I was determined to never make another trip before I had installed docking lights.

When I got home I ordered a pair of docking lights you've seen on a zillion motorhomes going back 30 years. Just cut a big hole in a side panel and screw/bolt them in. But I wanted more. I happened to have a pair of nice stainless steel bodied Warn driving lights I'd not gotten around to installing on whatever Jeep I owned at the time and I installed those in the rear. They were backup lights on mega steroids. I was able to light up a square mile of campground after that!

Now, all that said, it's extremely rare that we stop after dark anymore. I've never used the factory installed docking lights on our current motorhome in the three years we've owned it. We plan our days to arrive at our stopover or destination well before dark. If it were ever to happen, that we'd arrive in the dark, it would probably be for an overnight stop where we'd reserved a pull through site.

Common docking lights, installed on the sides of our first motorhome:
Attached Images

2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
JMonroe wrote: When I got home I ordered a pair of docking lights you've seen on a zillion motorhomes going back 30 years. Just cut a big hole in a side panel and screw/bolt them in. But I wanted more. I happened to have a pair of nice stainless steel bodied Warn driving lights I'd not gotten around to installing on whatever Jeep I owned at the time and I installed those in the rear. They were backup lights on mega steroids. I was able to light up a square mile of campground after that!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This sounds like the results that I am looking for. I would also like to have the lamps on the front sides to double as turn illuminating lamps like we used to have in the 70'S & 80'S on some of our larger family cars.

Do you remember where you found the housings for the lamps? They look like the ones that I have seen on the Monaco Windsors. Would like to find something aftermarket that may be more affordable. Any information on the driving lamps that you used would appreciated. I saw some lamps on a late model Fleetwood that I thought would look good but don't know how much light they produce. I like the much smaller size and a more modern look.

I thank you for the input you gave and the picture was a big help.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Let's not forget what it is that we are celebrating.

PAPA "J"
2004 Dynasty Chancellor
1965 Corvair Sport Sedan Toad (on trailer)
Old 12-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Searching for the side mounted lights was a challenge. I'm sure there are more sources, but this is the first I came up with: docking lights

As for the driving lights I used, that was over 20 years ago. The style I used I'm sure are no longer available. They were rectangular in shape, probably six inches wide, maybe more, by three or four high and something similar deep. The body was stainless steel.

There are dozens of brands/manufacturers of driving lights though, just do a search and you'll have a month's worth of sites to check out. Current technology probably makes for a better product than what I has so many years ago.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #8

JMonroe, Thanks again for the information. Now I have some tools to work with and will start a serious search.

Merry Christmas

PAPA "J"

Tags
lights