Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post

Loyd,

They are called Robertson square drives and can be purchased almost anywhere that sells tools. Your coach is full of them and you need to get a set of bits. You can use them in a drill or screwdriver that accepts bits.
Qty 1 - Robertson Bit No. 2 Square Drive

Interesting story is that Robertson, a Canadian, invented this type screw and introduced it to Henry Ford. Ford liked it and wanted to use it to manufactrue cars but he wanted exclusive rights. Robertson was not willing to give Ford exclusive use so Ford used the Phillips screw instead. Moral of the story is that we all got screwed because the square dirive is much better.

Bob
Bob
Great story. I actually have the #2 bit for my drill but the assembly would not fit in the grooves (I don't know the correct carpentry term) that lead to the screws so we just cut through them. I tried Home Depot and they did not have the screwdriver version.
Thanks for your help.
Lloyd
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My biggest concern now is getting the the Dometic ND 1402 out of the coach. We can't seem to remove the black trim around the front of the fridge and I am afraid to remove the assembly from the back so it won't fit through the door. Thinking of taking it out from the driver side- window. Is that a hard thing to do? What caulk should I use when reinstall the window?
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #17

Lloyd, I am following your progress. I have had my 197 for a while, but been living in the rig while working down in FL I hope to start the install in another week or so. Anyway I was just noticing your electrical connections and would suggest that you make a "Gang Box" type connection with clamps that hold the wires and then use the wire nuts inside the box to secure your connections. This is just food for though. The way it is set up in your photo they may become lose from vibration. Like I said just a suggestion.

George
Old 09-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyEOD View Post
Lloyd, I am following your progress. I have had my 197 for a while, but been living in the rig while working down in FL I hope to start the install in another week or so. Anyway I was just noticing your electrical connections and would suggest that you make a "Gang Box" type connection with clamps that hold the wires and then use the wire nuts inside the box to secure your connections. This is just food for though. The way it is set up in your photo they may become lose from vibration. Like I said just a suggestion.

George

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2377889973.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	45420

George,
I appreciate the input. Great idea and I will install 2 gang boxes tomorrow. All suggestions are more than welcome. I have no electrical, plumbing, carpentry or refrigeration background so every step seems to be a challenge.
Here are some pics of where I am today.

Name:	image-2377889973.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	555.7 KB
ID:	45420
Made tracks for wheels and back stops.

Name:	image-3268326460.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	45422

Had some thick rubber bumpers lying around so I used them for the stops.

Name:	image-3075121838.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	45421

See no need for upper vent so I have caulked, insulated and sealed the space. Repurposing the aluminum baffles.

Name:	image-4215200424.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	582.2 KB
ID:	45419

Will use gang boxes for 2 connections. The red/white wires I assume we're part of the old propane ignition system, thus unneeded.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to Waterview202
Lloyd in my beaver there are two 1.5" pipes to the aqua heater behind the fridge taking up some of the space. what is the minimum depth needed for the Samsung?
Waterview202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Come on Lloyd, post some pictures!
When I left he was tightening down the water line and the refer was running off the inverter.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel moore View Post
Lloyd in my beaver there are two 1.5" pipes to the aqua heater behind the fridge taking up some of the space. what is the minimum depth needed for the Samsung?

Name:	image-3835337923.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	45986

I'm guessing the minimum depth wound be about 22". The Samsung RF 197 manual specs the D to be 24" w/o doors. I think a few inches beyond the edge of the enclosure will work because those installing RF 217s Re doing that. You just don't want to be too deep in the enclosure because your doors can't fully open. As it is with our coach, the left door is slightly restricted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2011494437.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	45987   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1685236259.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	45988  

Name:	image-3002980677.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	483.9 KB
ID:	45989  
Old 09-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lloyd:
Are the batteries getting charged? I left a message on your phone.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Lloyd:
Are the batteries getting charged? I left a message on your phone.
Batteries charging. Inverter activated. DS front slideout still NOT cooperating. Will stay in RV tonight and try it with a fuller charge tomorrow morning.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well folks, I am happy to say that the Samsung RF 197 install is basically complete. I truly want to thank all of the contributors who, over many years, have shared their wisdom/knowledge to help others like me accomplish what I consider a major undertaking. I would like to acknowledge Bob Nodine, Bill Willard, Rpasetto, Diplomat Don and others whose iRV2 handles I can't recall at this time, whose suggestions I primarily followed. Special thanks to my good friend Mr. D for all his help and guidance.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3889150212.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	46113  
Old 09-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydu View Post
Well folks, I am happy to say that the Samsung RF 197 install is basically complete. I truly want to thank all of the contributors who, over many years, have shared their wisdom/knowledge to help others like me accomplish what I consider a major undertaking. I would like to acknowledge Bob Nodine, Bill Willard, Rpasetto, Diplomat Don and others whose iRV2 handles I can't recall at this time, whose suggestions I primarily followed. Special thanks to my good friend Mr. D for all his help and guidance.
Looks very nice. Thanks for the mention.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydu View Post
Special thanks to my good friend Mr. D for all his help and guidance.
Doggone it Lloyd, all I did was help a friend out and I think that sometimes I was more hindrance than help!
Hope your trip gets off to a good start and keeps going!!

Still puzzled over all the electrical problems you're having though.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #27

Just had the Samsung RF197 installed in our '05 Monaco Diplomat. Came out great! Did not add more house batteries or add'l inverter. We dry camp often, usually for a couple of days, seems to work fine. We keep the ice maker turned off. We however did not have the bottom drawer in the coach, so weren't able to set the fridge on the ground. It's a little tall, top shelf only but it's soooo much nicer then the Norcold piece of ****! We did purchase some tension rods at WalMart for the shelves. We use a velcro strap for the 2 top doors while traveling. Still need to finish the strapping for the freezer. Hope this helps...
Joe
jravera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
jravera, This works well.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote