Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2016, 05:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I had my front A/C recharged twice before getting smart and replacing it! What's that they say about hindsight.........

Suggest giving Joe's advice some serious thought before you throw good money after bad. These things were not designed to be serviced aside from cleaning. If you have the equipment and expertise it certainly can be done but if you have to pay someone, forget it. Buy a new one. 10+ year old appliances are on borrowed time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 05:59 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137 View Post
Dennis you can not use 134A the auto recharge and not sure you can buy whatever they are using now.
Probably R-22 or possibly the new 410A that replaced it. R-22 is no longer manufactured so it a bit pricy.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Suggest giving Joe's advice some serious thought before you throw good money after bad. These things were not designed to be serviced aside from cleaning. If you have the equipment and expertise it certainly can be done but if you have to pay someone, forget it. Buy a new one. 10+ year old appliances are on borrowed time.
I'm giving that advice serious consideration.

This is what I'm looking at:

Dometic 651816 651816.CXX1C0 Penguin HP Heat Pump 15k 15,000 BTU Air Conditioner

I think I need the thermostat and a new gasket too. Does anyone know if you can use the same wiring for the new thermostat? I'm assuming this is plug in play?
Old 06-05-2016, 08:34 PM   #18

It will use the same wiring to the CCC II thermostat. I assume U are replacing both units, otherwise a problem will exist with the remaining old unit and the CCC II. I think there is a conversion board for the old unit to work with the new thermostat, but if both are old U should look at that cost vs going ahead with replacing both units. The remaining unit is on borrowed time.
David White '05 Windsor
echo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Probably R-22 or possibly the new 410A that replaced it. R-22 is no longer manufactured so it a bit pricy.

It's R-22 and takes about 1 1/2 cans (2 cans) at about $40 per can plus the older style tap/hose ($10). So, about $90 materials.

If fill valves were added to the old units, they (the A/C units) were leaking ... and probably still are.

Do you have integrated (board is inside top unit) or separate controllers (boxes about the size of book)?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:40 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo3 View Post
It will use the same wiring to the CCC II thermostat. I assume U are replacing both units, otherwise a problem will exist with the remaining old unit and the CCC II. I think there is a conversion board for the old unit to work with the new thermostat, but if both are old U should look at that cost vs going ahead with replacing both units. The remaining unit is on borrowed time.
David White '05 Windsor
I'm not replacing the second one until it craps out too--at $1400 for the unit, gasket and thermostat I'm not doing preventive AC replacement. I have two thermostats, one in the bedroom and another in the living area so as far as I can tell, they are independent of each other. The cheapest place I've found this single zone unit is on Amazon.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
It's R-22 and takes about 1 1/2 cans (2 cans) at about $40 per can plus the older style tap/hose ($10). So, about $90 materials.

If fill valves were added to the old units, they (the A/C units) were leaking ... and probably still are.

Do you have integrated (board is inside top unit) or separate controllers (boxes about the size of book)?
I don't see any control unit except the thermostat.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:42 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
After researching the process of replacing the AC unit, it looks like the hardest part is lifting the 100# lump to the top of the coach.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I did a lot of research the last couple of days and after speaking with Dometic and PPL and getting advice from adamfolger I went with the model 651816CXX1C0 multizone unit and ten button t-stat. It seems that my four button t-stat can't be made compatible with the Penguin II heat pump like the 5 button t-stat can. It simplifies the installation since the new t-stat will be plug and play with the new AC/heat pump. Also, when the bedroom unit fails I can use this multizone t-stat to control that unit too.

The cheapest place I could find the unit on-line was at PPL for $1119 shipped to my door. I used that price to negotiate with my local RV shop and got a good deal from them. It's not as cheap as PPL, but I don't mind paying a little extra to support my local business. They will install the new unit for $225 which makes doing it myself a nonstarter.

It's more than I wanted to spend, but at the end of the day I'll have a unit that has a 2 year warranty which should last the life of the coach.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
Although R-22 isn't made anymore there is plenty of it available since old systems can ce legally repaired and recharged.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I did a lot of research the last couple of days and after speaking with Dometic and PPL and getting advice from adamfolger I went with the model 651816CXX1C0 multizone unit and ten button t-stat. It seems that my four button t-stat can't be made compatible with the Penguin II heat pump like the 5 button t-stat can. It simplifies the installation since the new t-stat will be plug and play with the new AC/heat pump. Also, when the bedroom unit fails I can use this multizone t-stat to control that unit too.

The cheapest place I could find the unit on-line was at PPL for $1119 shipped to my door. I used that price to negotiate with my local RV shop and got a good deal from them. It's not as cheap as PPL, but I don't mind paying a little extra to support my local business. They will install the new unit for $225 which makes doing it myself a nonstarter.

It's more than I wanted to spend, but at the end of the day I'll have a unit that has a 2 year warranty which should last the life of the coach.

Good choice, you won't be sorry.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
You'll like the new t-stat they do more than the old ones. You can see the inside temp on them and more. I replaced my old penguins with the new ones 2 years ago and they do a better job than the old ones.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Although R-22 isn't made anymore there is plenty of it available since old systems can ce legally repaired and recharged.
It's still manufactured (and reclaimed) ... but expensive.

"The EPA order calls for an immediate drop from 51 million pounds allowed in 2014 to 22 million pounds beginning Jan. 1, 2015. Subsequently, 18 million pounds of new and imported R-22 will be allowed in 2016, 13 million pounds in 2017, 9 million pounds in 2018, and 4 million pounds in 2019. No new or imported R-22 will be allowed in the U.S. on or after Jan. 1, 2020."
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #28

I had 2 of the Penguin II units installed a few weeks ago and they had the 14" square gasket and the mounting gasket installed from the factory. The only one that you may need is the L shaped gasket as used by Newmar. It separates the output from the return side of the unit.

As a point of interest, the new redesigned Penguin II, now uses an LG vertical compressor rather than the older horizontally mounted and it is rated at 14.4 BTU rather than 15M.

After the installation is complete, pay close attention to the sound of the new compressor. Mine makes a whining / pitch sound which i can't really describe. But it is not normal, so I'm waiting for the Dometic tech to re evaluate the AC units again. If you run it on low speed, you'll get a better feel for the how loud the compressor may be.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, heat, heat pump