Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put some silicon sealant in the "V" notch where the wire enters the motor to seal out water. The firs motor I had only lasted until the first rain and the armature rusted and seized up.
Gordon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
I got the new motor today and it looks exactly like you showed/told me.

I have tested the fit, and no modifications will be needed to get it into the roller. Maybe Carefree have listened to user comments and have shaved a bit of the offending bracket.

This is what the roller looks like and where the motor slides into.
Did you change fabric also? I just removed end cap pulled the motor and put in new one. Then set travel length and done.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No - I didn't change the fabric. It is not warn to the extend that I need that.

I couldn't pull the motor out by jyst removing one end cap. I had to take both ends off.

First motor they send me was "dead". I am currently waiting for a replacement.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Door awning gone bad

Good afternoon:
I found this thread with the same door awning problem Henrik had. Removal of the awning and replacement of the motor was easy.
I know this thread a few months old, but hope someone may have some ideas.
The problem I'm having is getting the new motor to operate. I tried to test the motor before I reattached the awning to the coach by hooking it up to the coach wires from the awning switch. I get a click when I hit the awning switch, but no motor turning. I hooked the motor directly to 12V on my car and everything worked great at both in and out motion. Checked the voltage at the connection from the coach and I get 13V. Could the voltage be too high for the Carefree motor or might I have a bad motor?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Mike
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mike - the first motor that I got didn't work at all. I also ended up testing it using my car battery, and it wouldn't move. I did the same to the replacement, and it worked fine when connected to the car battery.

I would be surprised if 13V is too much because your house batteries would have supplied that all the time when fully charged. The only thing that I can think of is that the 13V does not reach the motor when you operate the in/out switch in the motorhome. Mind you - I am far from being an expert on this subject.

I hope that you get it sorted out

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #20
R&J

Monaco Owners Club
More then likely the voltage is dropping below 12 volts when the switch is applied. You will need to connect a volt meter to the wires with the motor hooked up. A bad switch, loose connection, even a bad fuse that looks good. Good luck
Rich
R&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:57 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the input guys.
Rich. I checked the voltage where I am splicing in the motor. 13V forward and reverse when the switch is applied. I'll check it with the motor spliced in. Didn't think of that.
Henrik. I'm hoping the motor is not bad, but I may need to remove it again and bench test it.
Thanks again for the replies.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Talked to Carefree. They thought the limit adjustments may be off, but not the case. I do have an extra motor that was originally sent without the "forks" that engage with the awning roller tube. I did a bench test and confirmed that motor is good. I'll take the awning apart and replace the motor as soon as I can. That should solve the problem.
Thanks again for the tips guys.
Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mike A number of years ago we had a problem with the door awning. The motor had failed and we had it replace at a RV shop under warranty. When they got it all done the new motor would not work. They removed the awning and bench tested it and it worked fine. Turned out there was an extra tab on the motor that was touching ground on the RV when the awning was installed, so it would not work. They clipped off the tab and everything worked fine. Just another thing to look at.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #24
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&J View Post
More then likely the voltage is dropping below 12 volts when the switch is applied. You will need to connect a volt meter to the wires with the motor hooked up. A bad switch, loose connection, even a bad fuse that looks good. Good luck
Rich

Dead on. High voltage is NOT the problem. I suspect when you reconnected that the connection was defective. Since it ran when connected to the battery directly you must have a low voltage problem.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:22 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Problem solved.
Like Henrik, bad motor. I used the first motor they sent, moved the parts missing from the second motor and installed the first motor. Now it works fine.
Thanks all for the input.
Have a great week.
Mike

Tags
awning, door